SR40C Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

talon1961

Bearcat
I just purchased a SR40C Stainless. I noticed where several people have removed the mag. disconnect safety. I disassembled my gun and gave it a good cleaning to remove all of the shipping grease etc. I noticed that on the back of the striker Plate on the slide, there is no small hole to push in the pin to remove the striker cover. The only hole is for the striker indicator. Is there any way to remove this cover to remove the striker and mag disconnect? Am I overlooking something?

22/45 Fan

Hunter
I'll reprint the answer I gave to the "9E" thread a day or so ago.

Ruger eliminated the release plunger on the striker cover as an unneeded retainer but removal is just like the older version except you don't have to push in the plunger.

To remove it, field strip the pistol and remove the barrel and recoil spring assembly. Turn the slide bottom up, push and hold the striker safety block button and the magazine blocker in. Then push the striker toward the muzzle with a rod or punch inserted into the hole in the cover plate so it's tail clears the cover plate. The cover plate should pull out at that point. You can use the rod in the plate's hole as a lever to get it started and then it removes by hand.