new lc9s screw up by me

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kel ruger man

Single-Sixer
Bought it today took it out of the box to clean it and bam. I'm not paying attention because my wife and daughter are yelling at each other. I reassemble it and forgot to put the take down pin back in. I go to rack it and the slide is stuck back. Any suggestions to get the slide back?

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
Call Ruger customer service and ask if you can speak to a gunsmith. OR, call the factory yourself. Those are made in the factory in Prescott, so call the factory front office and perhaps they will patch back to a gunsmith on the line. About ten years ago, I couldn't seem to put a field stripped revolver back together and the advice was only a few words and he was right on the money. They don't have time to talk to folks generally, this is not their job, so ask real nice and be OK if they are not allowed to do this. Also, try to call at a good time for them, perhaps 9-11AM or 1-3PM.

PS: Have you tried gently tapping with plastic screwdriver handle?

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
kel ruger man said:
I am calling this morning. I don't want to force anything
I am glad you gave up the idea of using the three pound drilling hammer to beat the back of the slide. :wink: Keep us posted, I wonder what the fix is.

kel ruger man

Single-Sixer
spoke with ruger just now, gun smith said to just give it a good wack with a rubber mallet and it will break free doing no damage. i will try it, at least i have his name if something happens to it.

kel ruger man

Single-Sixer
i tried that 1st loaded, nothing. like i said, i am the type that if i dont know what i am doing, i will not touch it. i tried what you said last night and nothing. believe me when i tell you, i am no dummy with guns, but if something happens to a gun, i cant just look at it quick and fix it, i send them out, not worth the aggravation.

loaded round

Hunter
I understand and was just tying to help you. Similar thing happened to me and that was the ''fix''.

kel ruger man said:
i tried that 1st loaded, nothing. like i said, i am the type that if i dont know what i am doing, i will not touch it. i tried what you said last night and nothing. believe me when i tell you, i am no dummy with guns, but if something happens to a gun, i cant just look at it quick and fix it, i send them out, not worth the aggravation.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
kel ruger man said:
spoke with ruger just now, gun smith said to just give it a good wack with a rubber mallet and it will break free doing no damage. i will try it, at least i have his name if something happens to it.
Kel Man: Your cautious approach is commendable, lots of times folks who don't understand what they are doing bugger stuff up. By getting advice from the factory, you have gone well beyond the average person. Not everyone has a rubber mallet in the house, I recently found one at Walmart. After you get your rubber mallet, give it a "good" whack like the Ruger gunsmith said. Worse case, if it doesn't work, you send the pistol back to Ruger, which is where you are now. I'll bet you will be just fine.

Viking Queen

Blackhawk
Excellent result! I think it's great that Ruger let you talk to their gunsmith.....kudos to them for that.

Now go shoot that new Ruger! Enjoy!

Viking Queen