Question for CZ shooters

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.

E

Single-Sixer
Getting the itch for a compact CZ -- either the PCR or P-01 versions. Am I missing something that I should consider with either version other than the only difference I can see is that the P-01 has a light rail, and the PCr doesn't? Any input or experience with either version is greatly appreciated.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
I own two P-01's, one with factory installed CTC laser grips, the other with the standard rubber grips. Both the PCR and the P-01 have forged aluminum frames and as you said the PCR doesn't have a light rail like the P-01 does.
At one time there was discussion that the PCR didn't use the same quality of aluminum (aircraft) as the P-01 for it's frame but I don't think that is the case anymore, if it ever was.
The P-01 was built as a military weapon with wholly interchangeable parts and the PCR was not, being hand fitted. The P-01 was once given a NATO stock number after passing the NATO standard tests, CZ made a change in a spring and did not resubmit for approval so the new models do not have the NSN number stamped on them any longer.
I know this was a long post about next to nothing but that is the story.
Both are great guns and as you probably surmise they are basically the same, one with a rail, one without.
One of my P-01's is my main HD gun, kept close to my bed. Good, accurate shooter that is as reliable as any gun I have ever shot.
You couldn't do wrong getting either but a warning is in order; most people that buy one CZ end up with a few more for some reason. I ended up with a crapload, addictive personality disorder, I guess.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
The P01 that I own is a heck of a good shooter. It's manufacture and machining is rougher than my Sig pistols. I sold most of my CZ pistols after getting my hands on several Sig pistols. Another alternative for a fantastic shooter at a bargain price is the Sig SP2202. I did buy one P01 and had problems with it feeding ammo during break in. They are good guns and if you really like the ergonomics, you should be happy with the P01.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
57K said:
The P-01 is an excellent compact. Not only that, but I prefer CZ's decocking system that only drops the hammer to half-cock which makes the first pull of the trigger in DA mode a good bit shorter combined with the fact that once completely broken-in, the P-01 has a very good DA trigger; SA as well. Years back, my shooting partner and I did some head-to-head comparisons of the P-01 and the SIG/Sauer P-228. They compare favorably while the P-01 was slightly more accurate. The majority of the loads were handloads, though, and therein lies the rub.

If you will be shooting factory ammo only, the P-01 is as good as any compact on the market. In fact, when it was introduced by CZ it was the only pistol to earn NATO's new, at the time, service pistol spec, including pistols being diassembled and reassembled with parts mixed from all pistols. The problem is that CZ chambers their 9mm pistols shorter than a good many others like Ruger Sigarms and Glock which limits the OACL of your handloads. Maybe not an issue for some, but when I load warm 9mm loads, up to +P with JHPs, I prefer to load them to an OACL that just can't be used in a CZ 9mm pistol. One reason I own an SR9. It's chamber is capable of taking loads that are beyond the length of the magazines capability to reliability. Not that you should do that, but where you could load 147 gr. JHPs as long as 1.161"/29.5mm where a longer OACL helps lower the pressure of the cartridge. For the more common 124 gr. JHPs, I tend to load to an OACL of 1.142"/29mm. Won't work in the CZs. Drop OACL by another .5mm to 1.122"/28.5mm and some loads may pass the "plunk" test while some will not.

Because of that, I haven't bought a CZ 9mm since the P-01 that requires handloads be made specifically tailored to its chamber. Believe me, if that wasn't the case, I'd have already bought a P-09. So, if you don't handload and don't plan to start, there are no better pistols available today, IMO. There is one possible exception with Remington's 124 gr. Golden Saber that is smaller in diameter than the driving band that engages the rifling in the bore that allows for a longer OACL such as Remington uses for their factory loads. The problem with that is that Golden Sabers have not been available for some time and whether or not they'll return is questionable since the introduction of the newer bonded versions. Nothing wrong with the bonded bullets at all except for their likely price where the older Golden Sabers as well as Remington's standard JHP bullets could be purchased in bulk Qty. :wink:

Boy, I guess all my reloading for my many CZ's was just all wrong from the beginning and maybe I should just give up.

No, I guess I will not, I will just do what I have always done and shoot my reloads and beat the living bejessus out of just about anybody with my crappy CZ's and my crappy ill informed reloads. You guys on the internet know just enough to sound stupid as.....

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
The term "short chamber" is a misnomer when it comes to CZ's. I have used it as a dump description but in reality the chamber of a CZ is perfectly sized, not sized as a "garbage can" like many pistols out there, it is correct. The term 'short' comes from it's abrupt transition from chamber to rifling with next to no clearance chamfer (taper). It is true that some care is needed to determine a proper OAL with forward ogive bullets but in most cases it isn't rocket science. The only factory ammo that has an issue in a CZ that I know of is UMC yellow box 124gr FNRN that the ogive can find it way into the rifling when chambered. I have made many of 9mm rounds that will easily clear the rifling of a standard CZ barrel and are of very high velocity with.010" to .015" clearance from the rifling and well within pressure standards. My reading comprehension is fine , your writing on the properties of a CZ and it characteristics is lacking in knowledge and based on assumption and silly folklore.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Your obfuscation by bringing up basically 9mm Major loads and their lengths is just ridiculous and sad. You throw out a warning to some guy trying to decide between two guns and you want to warn him that he won't be able to run stuff that only 0.05% 9mm owners ever run through their pistols and most of those pistols are modified in order to run those loads. I know all this because I have loaded and shot 9mm Major and have built 9mm Major guns, not just CZ's, for that purpose. I find your need to complicate a simple discussion annoying as hell and your info just dribble and fill for the easily impressed. I'm not impressed, sorry.

modrifle3

Buckeye
Boy I been gone from this forum for a while ... Decided to come back and the same yugo talking as usual. Gotta love it ... Not!

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
The lengths you keep calling out on JHP bullets will be in the "lands" of many of the 9mm pistols made, I don't get your point about making a round that won't work in a CZ, an XD, a Kahr, a Beretta, most Sigs, a Ruger LC9 or just about any 1911 chambered in 9mm. My 9mm reloads (minus 9mm Major) will work in all those guns. Yours will not, what is the point? ...and why are you doing this in a thread about a guy wanting an opinion on a gun or two? Take this to the reloading forum and I'll be more than happy to point out every reason and reality that I consider with my reloads.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
So let me get this straight, you shot a P-01, like it but warn that you can't shoot rounds that only fit in your gun and that is an issue someone else should be concerned with.

....and you don't own a CZ but call someone who owns dozens of them uninformative. Even though that guy has shot competitively for over 30 years, has reloaded after the time that the ammo wasn't free for him anymore (no longer in the Army) and have probably reloaded more 9mm last year than you have in your entire life.

...and you come up with a dumb as hell argument to try to mask that you are a true nitwit and clomp all over a thread about choosing a gun between two CZ's that you don't own either one of. You're a great guy, I'm sure Western Powders is proud that it has a dipstick like you representing them.

...go on and make a complete fool out of yourself some more, good luck with that and I really mean that.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Again, you should bring your points to the reloading forum sub section here.
The post started as a question between two very similar guns and it sounds as though the OP is choosing from the two.
You were the one that brought up some unnecessary warning points that actually would apply to most 9mm pistols as I pointed out clearly. Just because you can take a +P load in an SR9 and lengthen the said round's OAL to the point that it isn't a +P round any longer doesn't make you anymore a genius than someone that finds he can find some extra sips from his glass of Coke by putting less ice in the glass.
...and as far as my reading comprehension, you write paragraphs and multiple pointless platitudes in a fast paced, loon like fashion. You really need to look at how you write, it is as disjointed as any I have ever seen.

I am not going to argue your reloading thoughts in the semi-auto section anymore, bring it to the reloading section as you have already crapped all over this thread. I'm pretty sure that I said that before, so what are you afraid of?

...and if you don't, I will at some point, although slapping you down really isn't all that important for me to jump all over, I'm getting a good laugh at this scrambled brainiac thought process.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Enough ...... The OP hasn't responded even once in this thread .... So it's locked and this discussion can go to the reloading forum ....

REV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts