P95 Assembly Issues

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MBasaraba

Bearcat
I bought a P95 about a year ago and shoots great. Breaking down the gun is easy, slides right apart, the issue is when putting it back together. The black flip down mechanism where the mag would slide in is flipped forward and down. The slide will slide back till it gets to where the spring loaded pin coming from the top of the slide hits part of the trigger mechanism then will not slide any further. I can take a screw driver and insert it through the bottom of the hand grip and press the pin up and slide it together but I know this is not correct and worry that this issue might cause some kind of firing issue when shooting the gun.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a way to fix it? I thought maybe I could sand the top of that area so that it could slide past but maybe it is supposed to catch there and I am not doing something correctly to have it slide back together.

I know I do not know all the names for the pieces, I am not an expert, just a guy with a few firearms to protect my family so please dont flame on me for not know what each piece of this weapon is called.

Thank you,

Al James

Hunter
Howdy and welcome! The ejector is what you push down for field stripping. Are you having a problem with the ejector popping back up during reassembly?

roylt

Hunter
HI and welcome. The round thing is the firing pin block and it should not stop you from pushing past the long metal part on the frame which is the blocker lever. I suggest trying to wiggle the slide a bit while installing.

How many times have you taken this apart? Maybe just a bit more practice. Some 95 models are harder than others to pop together.

roylt

Hunter
In your 2nd pic almost to the bottom is that a crack by the trigger? Angled on the left and fairly straight on the right.

welder

Buckeye
The forward sear pivot pin (the one in the spring, 2nd pic) seems to be protruding out a bit. I have a P89 that catches on mine if it is not centered perfectly. Push it flush and try again.

wixedmords

Blackhawk
roylt said:
In your 2nd pic almost to the bottom is that a crack by the trigger? Angled on the left and fairly straight on the right.

Front frame rails. Pretty worn it seems. Mine look nothing like that, but mine are pretty low mileage at 500 rounds or a little less.

wixedmords

Blackhawk
MBasaraba said:
I have put less than 20 rounds through mine so it better not be worn... LoL

I guess, the question would be then what are those cracks, in what appears to be the rails to me.

These would be in your bottom picture, bottom center, on both sides of the trigger.

Looks like, what appears to be cracks, in the black (dark) material on both sides of the trigger.

MBasaraba

Bearcat
Ok I took what several said and got it to slide right together. I have taken it apart a few times and I have my Taurus 9mm that I have taken apart, cleaned and put back together for years.

Hunter - It isnt a "crack" when trying to wiggle side to side the slide return mechanism was hitting that part, maybe I wasnt as patient as I should have been.

I took the piece in the bottom picture, it sits next to a little spring and it has some side to side movement on the pin. I slid that all the way to the left (left in the picture) and kept the slide held to the right and it slide right on. Took it apart again, tried the same thing, catches.

MBasaraba

Bearcat
Sorry I have been very busy this week getting my 3D Printer to market and havent had time to check for "Cracks" but as far as I could tell it was not cracked anywhere when I looked.

wixedmords

Blackhawk
The spot royIt pointed out in his picture, at the back inside edge on the front rails of the P95 frame, may just be the lines of an impression. On my P95, and by quickly looking at the same spot on one of my P91's and P89's, that very spot is smooth and level showing no lines.
My P95 is rather finicky on centering the rod and spring in the slide, and we hear on occasion of someone locking up a slide on a P95 during reassembly, so I am wondering if this has happened to this particular specimen before. If one does get the slide locked, it could send the link on the barrel onto that very edge of the front rail either by not centering the rod and spring, or by having to manually take the slide off with an externally used tool that would knock the link side to side in the process of slide removal.

This is not placing blame on any one in particular, just an observation of what could have happened.

Now, the depth of that impression or groove would be interesting to measure. If it is very shallow, it may be able to be just smoothed out.

In the end, it may not be what is causing you slide issues, but it is something that comes to mind as an issue visually.

MBasaraba

Bearcat
It is that round spring loaded peg in the slide that it is catching on. I can push that peg up and it slides right together.

wixedmords

Blackhawk
Ok, got it. Just wanted to make sure that front rail wasn't binding in any way due to improper clearance in the link area. Mine is pretty tight in that area when I slide the link through the rails with only the spring and rod in my hand, sliding it through manually.

MBasaraba

Bearcat
Those spots you were asking if they are cracks, no they are not, just the way the way the picture was taken.

Would anyone mind taking the slide off their 95 and get a picture from the right hand side? Specifically the hammer area. I took the shot I am curious about. Is this arm on the trigger supposed to be this high? This is the part that is catching the round peg.