My KP345PR

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Koyote

Bearcat
While making up a list of my firearms, ser. #'s, etc. for a trust. I got curious about 3 important dimensions on my KP345PR (Stainless with a Picatinny Rail) .45 ACP. They were the width, weight and height. The first two were very important to me as to why I picked out the P345.
While in the Air Force, I carried a 1911 and thought I would get one a couple of decades later. However when I went to my LGS, I picked up a 1911 and found it to be heavy and wider than I remembered. I knew I didn't want to get it. While reading a gun magazine, I came across an article on the P345. It said that it was slimmer, weighed less and was shorter. Overall, a smaller gun, but still a powerful weapon. I went back to my LGS and picked one up and saw that everything they said in the article was true. I "pulled the trigger" and bought it on the spot!. The grip was great especially the length from the backstrap to the trigger. It felt comfortable in my hands and when I took it out to the desert to do some shooting, I found it to be quite accurate. Very happy with it.
Recently, I discovered that it had been discontinued with the new premier of an SR45. It holds two more rounds, but guess what? My old P345 is thinner, lighter and shorter then the striker version.
When they say, they don't make them like they used to...it is so true!!!

loaded round

Hunter
I own a P345DC and it is an extremely accurate piece and accepts any round I put thru it. Cleaned the rear sight, put a 2 lb lighter trigger spring in, and it has become my night stand firearm. It's an excellent firearm overall and to this day have never figured out why Ruger ever dropped it. JMHO!

Al James

Hunter
roylt said:
The DC units are rare. Hold on to that one!!

+1! I have an itch for a KP345D with no rail [PR] and they seem to be made of unobtainium.

And yes the P345 is basically commander sized but it is lighter than the new Ruger lightweight commander style pistol. :lol:

I remember the press release for the P345 was a direct attack on the 1911 design. It appears Ruger has lost the argument it made in 2004. :cry:

brushunter

Single-Sixer
I also own a P-345 and agree completely with everyone. Mine also, has never failed to function snf id very accurate. Quick question though. Mine is an earlier model having no rail with a safety/decocker. Did Ruger make a decocker only model ? Mine is only marked P-345 on the slide ... no D designation. Several times I've considered selling ... just can't , its just too nice a weapon.

regards , brushunter

Al James

Hunter
brushunter said:
I also own a P-345 and agree completely with everyone. Mine also, has never failed to function snf id very accurate. Quick question though. Mine is an earlier model having no rail with a safety/decocker. Did Ruger make a decocker only model ? Mine is only marked P-345 on the slide ... no D designation. Several times I've considered selling ... just can't , its just too nice a weapon.

regards , brushunter

Couple of P345D pistols:

loaded round

Hunter
See my post above. When I bought mine, there were two separated models; the P345 with a manual safety, and a P345DC that was a decocker only. Mine was the decocker model with a rail.

jskimerer

Bearcat
What is the value of those P345D's aren't they kind of rare. Understand Ruger stopped making them after a short run because of a liability concern.

Al James

Hunter
I would guess it would bring 375-425 at auction depending on which buyers were in the market at the time. They are great guns regardless of what the haters think.

loaded round

Hunter
Thanks for the input. I have no intention of selling mine however.

Al James said:
I would guess it would bring 375-425 at auction depending on which buyers were in the market at the time. They are great guns regardless of what the haters think.

modrifle3

Buckeye
loaded round said:

Al James said:

$325 to $350 is more realistic value.

Al James

Hunter
modrifle3 said:
loaded round said:

Al James said:

$325 to $350 is more realistic value.

Here's the last one I saw sell at auction with no reserve:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/991776616/Ruger-P345D-45-ACP.htm

$404 shipped. Would be $429 in hand in my neck of the woods.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
My feeling is that the P345 is going to be the Security Six of Ruger's hammer-fired pistols.
Some may have other opinions, but to lesser import.

When the dogs erupt in the middle of the night, we'll reach for the P345 ?

modrifle3

Buckeye
mohavesam said:
My feeling is that the P345 is going to be the Security Six of Ruger's hammer-fired pistols.
Some may have other opinions, but to lesser import.

When the dogs erupt in the middle of the night, we'll reach for the P345 ?

I think that honor goes to the p90 ... You have 7 hammers to throw then it becomes a hammer.

Snyd

Single-Sixer
P345's are great guns...

p345_01.jpg

p345200_01.jpg

PC010005_zps26349236.jpg

jskimerer

Bearcat
There is someone on Armslist from Texas selling a Ruger P345D for 300.00 also he has a Glock 22 for 300.00. Don't know how ligament this listing is, sounds awful cheap to me?