New LC9s

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mi77915

Bearcat
I had an original LC9 a couple years ago and it was a good handgun. However, I didn't like the trigger at all. So, I eventually sold it.

I ordered a new LC9s last Friday (online for $334.99 shipped). I got a call from my FFL dealer this afternoon telling me that my LC9s was in. So, I picked up my new LC9s on my way home from work today.

All I can say is this new LC9s is an awesome concealed handgun!!!! The trigger is what I was hoping it would be!!! I can't wait to get to the range later this week. I think I just found my new concealed handgun!!!! :mrgreen:

fieldho

Bearcat
Hey, congratulations, I've been checking out the reviews on this weapon and it sounds great. I'm ready to retire my P95s, the SS will be my truck gun and the blued will probably end up in the night stand. I'm glad to hear it got a sweet trigger and that stock looks really comfortable.
Let us all know how dependable it is on the range. I hope it eats like my P95s. I've never found rounds they didn't like, even with one after market mag. and aluminum ammo. (Wal-mart specials).
I really need a better carry and I don't have the cash for any of the snob guns.
I always have appreciated the American made wonders.

loaded round

Hunter
Extremely pleased with my LC9s and since I've broken it in and now use it as my everyday pocket carry pistol. Seriously considering selling my LCP.

fla infidel

Bearcat
Have put about 250 rounds through my new LC9s and have had absolutely no problems. Have used mostly my own re-loads, but some factory round nose and hollow points, too. Great gun!

Koyote

Bearcat
I wish I had gotten around to shooting my original LC9 a little more often. It was not until the second time I went out to the desert to do some shooting that I noticed that it had a long trigger pull. It seemed like the trigger was starting to raise upwards at an angle before the shot went off. Needless to say I became disappointed in it. I did some research on anybody fixing it, but poor results. I think it might be one of the reasons why Ruger came out with their striker fired LC9, which I have heard has a much better trigger pull. I would love to sell my original LC9, but there are so many of them on the market, I don't believe I could get a decent price for it, despite the low number of rounds through it.
I could sell it to Scheels, but they are notorious for the low prices they will pay and for the high prices they sell their used ones. Oh, well. I am learning to learn a little more about the firearms I will be purchasing in the future and some of the things I look for. I have done research on the net before I have purchased firearms, but nothing was ever said about the original LC9's trigger pull. Wish Ruger would come up with a solution, but I don't think it is something worthwhile for them to do so.

ilikerams

Single-Sixer
I bought a LC9s today. It is the pro model, no manual safety or magazine safety. I think the pro means professional, but professional what? Professional cop, security guard, hit man, or what? The only thing I'm professional at is being a retired civilian. Maybe I should have bought the regular one, but it feels good in my hand. Get to pick it up Friday but it will be a few weeks before I can shoot it, it's too cold here right now.

I bought one a few weeks ago.... because all the P pistols I have are decock with no safety as well as my standard carry weapon which is a Sig 230... it is a .380 and I was / am considering stepping up to 9mm luger and this seemed like a way to go. The only two complaints I have so far (I've only run one magazine though it) is the grip is too thin for comfortable shooting and the take down pin is a real pain to get out.

OldePhart

Blackhawk
blume357 said:
I bought one a few weeks ago.... because all the P pistols I have are decock with no safety as well as my standard carry weapon which is a Sig 230... it is a .380 and I was / am considering stepping up to 9mm luger and this seemed like a way to go. The only two complaints I have so far (I've only run one magazine though it) is the grip is too thin for comfortable shooting and the take down pin is a real pain to get out.

The take down pin on mine was a real pain in the...uh, neck...the first time. The only other time I've had a problem was after putting about 200 rounds through the gun without cleaning it. Otherwise, open the gate, turn the pistol on the side, move the slide back a touch and tap the gun and the pin will fall right out on the bench.

A grip sock helps a lot with the thin grip...though I still can't get any of my left hand against the gun itself.

BTW, if you've only run a magazine through it I would not use it on your upcoming trip. I thought mine was reliable as all get out once I polished the horrible feed ramp. I had put somewhere between 200 and 300 rounds through it without any more malfunctions - but those were all "stand at the line and stiff arm" shots. After shooting it as a BUG in two local IDPA matches I have much less confidence in it after numerous malfunctions during the matches. I haven't had a chance to get to the range with some time to really work out exactly what is happening but it is basically one of three things...1) doesn't like being shot on an angle, 2) is extremely sensitive to limp wristing (because it's possible I'm limp-wristing a little bit around barricades and such, or 3) becomes very sensitive to limp-wristing when it gets good and dirty. Obviously, if it's the third that's not really a big deal because a real defensive encounter isn't going to be twenty or thirty rounds. :)

John

rimmer

Single-Sixer
blume357 said:

Get the Pachmayer grip cover, Sock, Whatever for it.

psl1959

Bearcat
I have read on this and many other sites about the LC9s that after shooting a couple hundred rounds through it that the takedown pin will loosen up and will just fall out when you lower the takedown button and turn the gun on it's side.
My question is this, it doesn't take a Rocket Scientist to figure that something is wearing for the pin to "loosen up" like that, so what happens when it get's 600-800 rounds through it? Will it be sloppy loose by then? Is it the pin wearing(easy to replace), or is it the holes in the frame/slide(not so easy to replace)? Does anyone on here have that many rounds fired through any version of the LC9 that can give any insight on how their's is holding up?

Maybe this is the wrong way to look at it... but I doubt that I will ever put 600 rounds through this pistol.... I've carried my Sig 230 for over 5 years now and in that time I doubt that I've put 100 rounds total down range with it. For fun shooting I want something with more weight behind it.

OldePhart

Blackhawk
psl1959 said:
I have read on this and many other sites about the LC9s that after shooting a couple hundred rounds through it that the takedown pin will loosen up and will just fall out when you lower the takedown button and turn the gun on it's side.
My question is this, it doesn't take a Rocket Scientist to figure that something is wearing for the pin to "loosen up" like that, so what happens when it get's 600-800 rounds through it? Will it be sloppy loose by then? Is it the pin wearing(easy to replace), or is it the holes in the frame/slide(not so easy to replace)? Does anyone on here have that many rounds fired through any version of the LC9 that can give any insight on how their's is holding up?
That's not quite an accurate characterization of my experience. What's really happening is that as the gun comes from the factory the pin is held in pretty tight with manufacturing gunk. The first time you field strip it and clean it you get rid of that gunk and the pin ends up with a (very light) film of new lube from handling. At that point it is very easy to extract. If you then put a bunch of rounds down range without cleaning, the pin gets gunked up a bit from all the powder residue flying around, so it is sticky again until the next time you strip and clean.

Sloman

Bearcat
I have presently 595 rounds through my new LC9sPro and I do NOT trust it yet to carry it as a CCW. Thought it was the ammo, but yesterday it did a "horizontal stovepipe" on 124 gr FMJ NEW Brassed ammo. Totally knocked the gun out of commission until I dropped the mag, with ammo in it, and cycled the slide. Happened on round 2 of a full mag with one in chamber. If I had been in a fire fight, I would be dead now.
I am NOT a happy camper. Trigger pull? Yeah it's nice, but now I've had to resort back to my Glock 26 for CCW.
That's not the reason I bought the LC9sPro.
I had thought my problem was the ammo when I used Federal Aluminum cased ammo. After this malfunction, I fired the rest of the box of the brassed ammo and then fired the aluminum cased ammo. Guess what? Not one malfunction with the aluminum ammo. Ammo is not cheap and if it continues, either Ruger will get a call for a repair or it goes on the "for sale" block. If I can't trust it, I aint' carrying it!

OldePhart

Blackhawk
@Sloman that is exactly the kind of malfunctions I was having at the BUG matches. I had three such malfunctions in one stage, and that was after switching to factory 115gr brass ammo because of identical malfunctions on the first two stages with 147gr handloads.

On the first trip to the range I had two such malfunctions with 115gr factory ammo but that was before I polished the feed ramp. I thought polishing the feed ramp had solved the problem until I had so many malfunctions with all kinds of ammo when shooting under the "stress" of a match.

I agree with you, a pint-sized pistol that shoots perfectly under perfect conditions but jams under anything but perfect is not something I want to carry. I had thought perhaps the problem was unique to me because after 17 years of medications that destroy muscle tissue I thought perhaps I was limp-wristing more than I thought. However, I can shoot my Glock 22 with factory loads through the same types of scenarios without any issues at all.

I suspect that I see a Glock 26 in my near future, as well. I really didn't want to have to pack anything that wide but better that than pointing a paperweight at an assailant...

redflstfi

Bearcat
I've carried a SR9c (modified) for a few years - nice comfortable arrangement with a variety of IWB holsters. Also carry a Commander size 1911 (modified) also IWB. I respect the ability and accuracy of both of these fine pistols and find comfort in carrying both. I was really impressed with the features of the LC9s Pro (and its size) and bought one a few days after it was announced and released for sale. Took it to the COLD range and shot eight different types of 9mm ammo - not one failure of any kind and surprisingly accurate as well. After a strip and clean it has become my primary EDC piece. I see no need to modify this LC9s in any way other than the grip mods I've done; a grip sock, the magazine extender and some skateboard tape have made this LC9s a comfortable part of my everyday life. Buy one.

Slyk Willy

Single-Sixer
psl1959 said:

I've well over 3K rounds through my LC9 (original flavor w/ the engraved slide) and have had ZERO issues, either with the pin, the operation or anything else. I did find that a leather holster dis-colors the engraved slide which Ruger replaced with a new one, so I've gone to a fabric lined pancake (ISW) or a Kydex (OSW). I've grown confident with this gun for EDC and am waiting for a jewel to show up at my LGS for a not engraved, second one. As far as the trigger pull? Not an issue for me. I did add a Houge sleeve and the mag extender so it fits my hand. Great little gun.

Slyk Willy

Single-Sixer
redflstfi said:
I've done; a grip sock, the magazine extender and some skateboard tape have made this LC9s a comfortable part of my everyday life. Buy one.

What's the "skateboard" tape for?

Jim Puke

Hunter
I intended to buy the LC9s for my daughter, provided she liked it, for her carry gun when she turns 21 in Oct. However, I am rethinking that after reading a few reports of some of the guns having issues after about 500rds...I will just have to give it a little longer to see where this goes on these guns. I would like to go ahead and get here gun so that she will have time to get competent with it...might have to go ahead and get her a Shield...IDK.

nekvermont

Buckeye
Jim Luke said:
I intended to buy the LC9s for my daughter, provided she liked it, for her carry gun when she turns 21 in Oct. However, I am rethinking that after reading a few reports of some of the guns having issues after about 500rds...I will just have to give it a little longer to see where this goes on these guns. I would like to go ahead and get here gun so that she will have time to get competent with it...might have to go ahead and get her a Shield...IDK.

Jim, I haven't shot a LC9s but had the opportunity to shoot a shield yesterday. A friend stopped by with a brand new one that he hadn't even shot yet. The temp. was below zero but we went out and gave it a go. All I can say is that I was impressed. It shot way better than I ever expected. Now I want one.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
Koyote said:
I wish I had gotten around to shooting my original LC9 a little more often. It was not until the second time I went out to the desert to do some shooting that I noticed that it had a long trigger pull. It seemed like the trigger was starting to raise upwards at an angle before the shot went off. Needless to say I became disappointed in it. I did some research on anybody fixing it, but poor results. I think it might be one of the reasons why Ruger came out with their striker fired LC9, which I have heard has a much better trigger pull. I would love to sell my original LC9, but there are so many of them on the market, I don't believe I could get a decent price for it, despite the low number of rounds through it.
I could sell it to Scheels, but they are notorious for the low prices they will pay and for the high prices they sell their used ones. Oh, well. I am learning to learn a little more about the firearms I will be purchasing in the future and some of the things I look for. I have done research on the net before I have purchased firearms, but nothing was ever said about the original LC9's trigger pull. Wish Ruger would come up with a solution, but I don't think it is something worthwhile for them to do so.
Just thank your lucky stars you haven't sold it yet. You will get next to nothing for in today's market where everyone wants the new striker gun. If you buy some A-Zoom snap caps, you can practice with that LC9 long double action trigger pull and get pretty good with it. Learning to "stage" that long trigger for precise shots and practice regular measured pull through will get you there for quicker shots. You will then have a pistol with a much safer trigger than the new striker model(especially without a thumb safety). http://www.midwayusa.com/product/642438/a-zoom-action-proving-dummy-round-snap-cap-9mm-luger-aluminum-package-of-5
Don't get me wrong, Glocks are wonderful pistols, but for a small hideaway gun, the long DA with hammer(LC9), is just perfect. The double action police revolver maintained a fantastic safety record for almost 100 years of use. Most civilians will never have to actually use their pistol in self defense, but are at risk during handling the gun every day. Glock striker weapons are dominant at IDPA matches and at almost every match you can see the range officer assisting one or more participants keep clothing out of their holster during holstering. The LC9 long trigger and hammer provide an extra measure of safety during holstering. If you put you thumb on top of the LC9 hammer, you can feel it move if the trigger is being moved and know to stop holstering. Of course we always follow all the safety rules and maintain awareness at all times. Never-the-less, it doesn't hurt to have that extra margin of safety.
IMO the LC9 does not require the thumb safety and is extremely safe with that long double action trigger alone, just like a double action revolver. Alternately, the new striker variant LC9s is significantly enhanced with the presence of the thumb safety. The sample LC9s that I handled had a nice light trigger. The LC9s shorter and lighter trigger in combination with a positive detent thumb safety makes for a safe pistol which may be easier to shoot precise shots. However, for the task of a concealment weapon, the standard LC9 is up to the task at hand.

Latest posts