P97DC Opinions Please

Help Support Ruger Forum:

XP100

Blackhawk
Just got a P97DC from the widow of a close friend. I am thinking about keeping rather than selling it for her. Any reports good or bad on this Model? Any idea of price. Stainless upper. Fired 5 rounds since new. Thanks

Greg Mercurio

Single-Sixer
We have a P89, P89DC, and P90. Rugged, accurate, dependable, and as far as I can tell, bulletproof. I can't say what market value is in this market, because I've paid ridiculously low prices to new retail. But all the P-series are keepers in this house. Side note: We also have an SR9c and LC9. Also keepers. :mrgreen:

roylt

Hunter
Give her what ever she asks for it. Friendship is worth more than money. With that said, NIB should get $4 to $450 I think. May be a bit high but the 97 isn't made anymore and a very nice pistol. It will last forever with proper care. All the P-series 45 cal mags are the same so plenty of mags avail. Shoot it and enjoy.

welder

Buckeye
Agreed.

They go for 325-375 here if 95+ and complete. I've seen a couple go for more at shows and on Gunbroker. I have not seen a NIB sell.
It is a rock solid model and there are no known weak points with the P97.
I am currently looking for one myself.

Al James

Hunter
Congrats in advance on the P97DC! They are a fine shooting pistol. I've owned several through the years and they ALL have been 100%. Only issue I seem to recall was involving early models, where the slide stop/release would walk out under recoil. Ruger fixed it with a new slide stop IIRC. Pics when you get it!

And I'll echo everyone else and say $325-350 in hand would be a good deal for both of you. A bargain IMO.

XP100

Blackhawk
I have a couple of pictures but don't know how to put them on here. I don't do photobucket. I could e-mail them to a member here if they could post them for me. THANKS

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
I gave $349.95 for my P-97DC in 2006, have not shot it a lot, but it is a rugged and reliable pistol and pretty much the same as all the other P series pistols.

Colonel Daddy

Buckeye
P97 is just a light-weight P90. Both tough as nails and either are more accurate than I am (tho that may not be saying much :oops: ) .
Seriously, I doubt that Ruger discontinued them because they are bad guns. More likely because of the growing popularity, for what ever reason, of the striker fired pistols. I cc a KP90DC so don't tell me they are too heavy to carry. I walk with a cane and sometimes use a walker.

PebblePimp

Bearcat
This thread came up at the perfect time. My cousin came across a P97DC & asked my opinion on it (GET IT!). He poked around looking at basically crap guns, then found a P90 & a SR40. I love my SR9, but I finally talked him into the P90. The P97 is the 2nd choice. If he doesn't like it, I'll buy it from him. Now, to track down that P97...

welder

Buckeye
I just missed a P97 today on Gunbroker. Still looking for one myself. I have the P90's covered and always wanted a P97 to go with them. Long live the P guns.

roylt

Hunter
I didn't like the 97. Too much kick for me. Sad to say but I have never shot a P90.... Or 345...

welder

Buckeye
The P345 and P90 are easy shooters for me, the P345 the easiest of the two. I have never fired a P97, just figured it would be in the realm of the P345 or maybe the G21. I would like to have one to round out my P gun collection and maybe carry it too.

Here's a link to the one I missed on GB yesterday. It went for $380

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=469547014

Joe Survival

Bearcat
My local cabelas had a P97 for sale and nobody seemed to want it because I saw it in the gun case every time I went there since before Christmas. Each time I saw it I was tempted to buy it because I have a few Ruger P95 pistols and the P97 is very similar. Finally a few weeks ago I managed to have saved enough money so I went in there and asked if I could take a close look at the gun. I field stripped it and everything looked great so I was going to see if I could talk the guy down a little from their $300 price that was on the tag, but as I started to reassemble the gun the slide just wouldn't go back on. I double checked everything like the ejector being put down and the barrel and recoil spring assembly being lined up straight and everything was right, but it just wouldn't go back on. I handed it to the cabelas clerk and he couldn't do it either. So I just left my name and number with them and told them to call me if they figured it out. From what I saw it seems like the recoil camblock was binding and it wasn't unlocking the barrel so it could tilt down and that's why the slide wouldn't go back on. I bet the past owner was frustrated having to fiddle around with it after cleaning it so he just sold it. As far as I know Ruger doesn't have any of those recoil camblocks to replace that one. I've heard that when something like that happens Ruger usually just offers to trade you the gun for a new Ruger in the same caliber. Maybe I should have tried to still buy the gun for $200 or less so I could have done that trade with Ruger and gotten a new SR45.

Mark II

Bearcat
Joe Survival said:
My local cabelas had a P97 for sale and nobody seemed to want it because I saw it in the gun case every time I went there since before Christmas. Each time I saw it I was tempted to buy it because I have a few Ruger P95 pistols and the P97 is very similar. Finally a few weeks ago I managed to have saved enough money so I went in there and asked if I could take a close look at the gun. I field stripped it and everything looked great so I was going to see if I could talk the guy down a little from their $300 price that was on the tag, but as I started to reassemble the gun the slide just wouldn't go back on. I double checked everything like the ejector being put down and the barrel and recoil spring assembly being lined up straight and everything was right, but it just wouldn't go back on. I handed it to the cabelas clerk and he couldn't do it either. So I just left my name and number with them and told them to call me if they figured it out. From what I saw it seems like the recoil camblock was binding and it wasn't unlocking the barrel so it could tilt down and that's why the slide wouldn't go back on. I bet the past owner was frustrated having to fiddle around with it after cleaning it so he just sold it. As far as I know Ruger doesn't have any of those recoil camblocks to replace that one. I've heard that when something like that happens Ruger usually just offers to trade you the gun for a new Ruger in the same caliber. Maybe I should have tried to still buy the gun for $200 or less so I could have done that trade with Ruger and gotten a new SR45.

I have a P97 myself (it was my first firearm, actually) and it has always served me well (never had any real issues and am impressed with the accuracy). Aside from having a somewhat uncomfortably snappy recoil, I really can't complain about it. As for the reassembly difficulties, I occasionally have to try a couple or few times to get the slide back on...the primary difficulty seems to be getting the grooves in the slide and the frame lined up correctly. Give it another shot if they still have it at that shop.