Ruger pistol service for P85?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

STURMRUGERFAN

Bearcat
I'm pondering picking up a P85 that I have found but I was curious if anyone knows if Ruger can or will still service these?

roylt

Hunter
Why would you need service on it? What is wrong? Post here and we can walk you thru just about anything.

STURMRUGERFAN

Bearcat
roylt said:
Why would you need service on it? What is wrong? Post here and we can walk you thru just about anything.

I don't believe anything to be wrong with it just thought it would be nice to have factory support for a freshen up or maybe a barrel if it has been shot quite a bit in past

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
I am of the opinion my P85 will function long after I am gone. you may wish to contact Wolff and get some recoil springs, and any other springs they still have. have you fired the pistol? if it is still a good shooter why worry? those things are over built. mine has in all the years of my reloads, and whatever factory junk I may have gotten real cheap, NEVER ONCE MALFUNCTIONED! that girl has been with me since new, through the recall and carried daily for the first ten years.

P94/GP100

Single-Sixer
P85/P89s are pretty tough guns-not much of significance normally goes wrong with them. Their components are designed around a minimum 20K round life expectancy, including the recoil spring.

That said, it still might be worthwhile to simply call Ruger and ask the question. They might still be willing/capable of providing some level of evaluation/support.

Best, Jon

Gizmo42

Single-Sixer
As long as there's no rust pitting in the barrel I'd say just give it a full strip down and good cleaning/lube then see how it does. They arent very difficult to strip down to bare frame and slide.

If you need parts and cant get them from Ruger or after market check with Numrich Arms. I've bought parts for 1960s vintage stuff from them before.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
STURMRUGERFAN said:
I'm pondering picking up a P85 that I have found but I was curious if anyone knows if Ruger can or will still service these?
57K has your answer, nice cheap collector's items, but no factory support for this and other fine Ruger arms that have been discontinued.

RandyB

Bearcat
If the price is right get it and just take normal care of it and it will serve you well, mine has Never faild me.

haymaker

Single-Sixer
A problem that has come up with my P90 is that is converts itself to DA only sometimes. It's happening more frequently. Sometimes while shooting as the slide goes forward the hammer drops putting the trigger into DA mode. I've field stripped and cleaned it. Manually working the slide the hammer drops about half the time with the safety in the fire position. I can't figure out where the problem is. There are no gunsmiths in the area so if Ruger won't fix it I guess I'm stuck.

Any ideas?

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
Why not start your own thread with P-90 title? Perhaps something with the de-cocker detent spring. Might be fixed by taking apart slide to make sure it is clean. Sounds like work for an experienced gunsmith.

haymaker

Single-Sixer
I would have started my own thread but the OP asked about potential service for a P85. The P90 is basically the same gun and if this problem occurs with my P90 it can occur with any P series. If Ruger won't fix the old discontinued models and there are no parts available then it might not be a good idea to pick one up. For me the nearest gunsmith is 150 mies away and he may or may not be able to fix it if it needs parts.

roylt

Hunter
The P90 is not the same gun. It runs different ammo and runs a little different. Do you have the guide rod spring on correctly? If put on backwards it will drag and that may make the slide not go back far enough to allow the hammer to engage the sear properly. You can take the grips off and look at the hammer and sear for damage. That is what "holds" the hammer back is the sear.

Good luck but I too suggest starting your own tread. The P90 is loved by many and they will have more specific info for you.

haymaker

Single-Sixer
I'll double check the spring on the guide rod. I'll start another thread about the P90 but since the OP asked I just wanted to point out a potential problem.

haymaker

Single-Sixer
Here in central WA we're having unseasonably warm weather and we're already in the fields farming. My time is pretty short but when I get a chance I'll work a little more on the P90 and give Ruger a call. I've considered replacing it with a SR45 to go with my SR9c or a SR1911 to compliment my two Colts. For a carry gun I prefer a DA/SA action and the P90 has a nice DA trigger. The Beretta PX4 would be an option as would a Sig.

I didn't mean to try to hijack this thread but I wanted to point out a problem that might also occur in other P series pistols.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Unless you really want a P85 or the price is too good to pass up I would opt for something that has factory and aftermarket support. I wonder why Ruger won't at least give the option of owners purchasing parts and service for discontinued guns. I completely understand that they can't give free parts and service on P85's and Six series revolvers for the next century, but how about at least offer support for folks who are willing to pay for it?

Rei40c

Blackhawk
FergusonTO35 said:
Unless you really want a P85 or the price is too good to pass up I would opt for something that has factory and aftermarket support. I wonder why Ruger won't at least give the option of owners purchasing parts and service for discontinued guns. I completely understand that they can't give free parts and service on P85's and Six series revolvers for the next century, but how about at least offer support for folks who are willing to pay for it?

It's probably not worth doing money wise but if a third person or company started making the discontinued parts that would be one option. At first I thought there might be legal issues with copying the parts but there's already Galloway Precision making many components for several guns. I suppose if you have the technical ability to make a completed recoil spring than many of the other parts should be within the ability to manufacture.