LCP slide flew off down range

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jeffmb

Single-Sixer
While at the range today my wife's LCP slide flew off and wound up about 5 feet or so down range. Gun has around 100 rounds through it. My first thought was "we'll never find the takedown pin in all of that spent brass". Then I looked at the frame and the pin was still there! Had the range guy come in and retrieve the pieces. He reassembled it and fired a few rounds with no problem. He suggested we leave it and let their gunsmith have a look to see what might have caused it. Will post once I hear back from them.

jeffmb

Single-Sixer
It seems you're not the first...

I know. I researched and found other instances but all of them had to do with the take down pin coming out that caused it.

OldePhart

Blackhawk
It sounds like yours backed out but not all the way. I think I've read at least one other instance where that happened. There have also been a couple reports of the pin actually sheering.

OldePhart

Blackhawk
jeffmb said:
It sounds like yours backed out but not all the way.

Would it backing out just a little cause this to happen?
I don't have an LCP (and my LC9/LC9s uses a gate over the pin so it can't back out) so I can't say for certain. I just know that I've seen reports online that it happened. I've also seen reports where the pin apparently sheered off and was in two pieces.

jeffmb

Single-Sixer
The gunsmith looked at it and said everything looks fine. He adjusted the takeout pin spring and fired 3 mags with no issue. His guess is that the pin had come loose just enough to allow the slide to come off but not fall out itself. I'll be extra careful after cleaning to make sure the pin in fully set for now on.

OldePhart

Blackhawk
Sounds like a plan. It probably wouldn't hurt to check it frequently when shooting at the range. Being a pocket pistol they may not have expected it to fire twenty-five or fifty rounds at a setting. Sloppy design...but sadly that seems to be a trend.

If it won't hold through a couple of mags, though, I think I'd be looking for a different defensive solution...

loadedguns

Bearcat
My wife had the same thing happen after 8 rounds and I sent it back to Ruger. They scraped the gun and sent me a LCR with laser grips.

jeffmb

Single-Sixer
If it won't hold through a couple of mags, though, I think I'd be looking for a different defensive solution...

Yes. Will be keeping an eye on it. If she or I don't feel comfortable with it, I'm thinking the 9mm LCR next.

loadedguns

Bearcat
gramps said:
loadedguns said:
My wife had the same thing happen after 8 rounds and I sent it back to Ruger. They scraped the gun and sent me a LCR with laser grips.
Was the LCR your choice, or theirs?
gramps
It was mine. They called and told me to pick out anything I wanted.

jeffmb

Single-Sixer
Just to close this out, went to the range today and the wife had no problems with her LCP. Will still keep an eye on the take down pin but the gun is a keeper. She likes it.

Latest posts