The Amazing LC9s!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DennisE

Single-Sixer
I'm basically a 1911 and a revolver guy but living in Florida I decided that I needed something small to carry through the summer months when we all shed as much clothing as possible. I went to my LGS and looked at 'em all and tried their triggers and bought a Ruger LC9s 9mm striker fired pistol. Took it to the range today and was amazed. The little pocket pistol was very controllable even with hot HP ammo and never missed a beat when the trigger was pulled. The sights are decent and the trigger pull is just over 5 lbs. With that combination it was easy to hit the target every time at 15 yards with a variety of 124 gr. ammo.

If you've got one of these critters, what's been your experience? Dennis

OldePhart

Blackhawk
Mine choked on wide-mouthed defensive HP rounds (Gold Dot +P, Federal HST +P). The feed ramp was very rough. A few minutes with Flitz and a felt buffing wheel on a Dremel solved that.

The "Made in USA" mag that came with mine releases in the IWB holster. All four of the "Made in Italy" mags I bought work fine.

My hands are getting older and I found the pistol pretty snappy, plus Glocks have spoiled me with that square face on the trigger guard for the weak-hand forefinger...so me and some redneck's friend (original JB Weld) fixed that. http://johnatchley.com/?p=456

It's a really nice fun, dependable gun, now. In fact, in about an hour and a half I'll be shooting it in an IDPA "BUG" match.

OldePhart

Blackhawk
Oh, I also put TruGlo TFO sights on it and removed the magazine disconnect... The original sights weren't bad (better than on many small pistols) but I have some pretty severe vision limitations and "white dot" translates to "grayish huh?" with the poor contrast in my dominant eye.

OldePhart

Blackhawk
Nice groups! Better than anything I've managed!

Just to follow up on my earlier comments in this thread. I've shot it in two IDPA "BUG" matches now...and frankly it hasn't performed well. Lots of tendency to jam especially shooting around barricades and stuff. Could be the shooter (I might be more sensitive to recoil shooting around a barricade instead of stiff-arm though I don't have any malfunctions from my snappier Glock 22 in the same scenarios).

Out of seven stages I've shot with it I had malfunctions on four, some of them multiple malfunctions...and in the last stage I stopped after three malfunctions in one stage.

Hoping to make it to the range some time this week to try to figure out if the gun doesn't like being shot at an angle, whether I'm maybe limp wristing it some around barricades, maybe it's getting more "sensitive" to limp-wristing as it gets dirty (both times it got progressively worse as the night went on). Needless to say I'm seriously re-evaluating my carry choice. If it's a gun issue I'll probably end up with a Glock 26 if I can't make this thing shoot reliably under all conditions. If it's a matter of me limp-wristing (I"ve been on medications that eat muscle tissue for many years now and don't have the strength in hands or wrists that I once did) I'll probably switch to carrying a small revolver (SP101 most likely) for reliability.

Just to be clear, I wouldn't have expected the LC9s to stand up to the rigors of a lot of IDPA-style shooting...but having a gun wear out prematurely and having one that is almost new not perform except under perfect "stand and aim at the little circle" conditions are two different things...

All in all I'm glad I made this discovery the "easy" way...but I am disappointed because this thin little gun is a delight to carry compared to a much thicker and blockier Glock 26.

SLAP - @Sloman - just realized we've PMd on this topic. Oh well...maybe someone else can benefit from the info... :)