Help! Round stuck in Barrel of my LC9

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rugeruser12

Bearcat
Took my gun out for cleaning today and realized I wasn't able to pull the slide back to clear the round out of the chamber.
Here's a video:
https://vimeo.com/117954575

I put the slide back on the lower and tried to rack it out, but nothing's happening. I think it's called a Squib Jam. I tried looking it up online and all the fixes available are when the barrel is actually removed from the slide, but in my case it's stuck. I don't think I'll try to fire the round out because it might cause damage to me/the gun.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

loaded round

Hunter
I had the same problem with my new LC9s. A factory round stuck in the chamber when I first loaded. I was also able to remove the slide as you had done, but was afraid to pry it out and somehow fire the round. I put my pistol back together and since it was a rainy stormy night, went outback on my patio and fired the stuck round into my wife's flower garden. No damage to the pistol and never had that problem again. Never did find that damn spend shell however.

rugeruser12

Bearcat
Just came back from a gunsmith who forced it out by jamming the lower really hard while holding the slide. Thanks!

sounds good, never know till you actually "see" whats stuck and where, and then try and explain how HARD to smack your 'new' gun,,,,we never let the customer "watch" and see how easy, NOR how HARD you may have to 'smack' something to get things loose and moving again....trick is knowing the difference, and if the round is still 'LOADED'......... 8) :roll: :wink:

5of7

Hunter
rugeruser12 said:
Just came back from a gunsmith who forced it out by jamming the lower really hard while holding the slide. Thanks!

Take a good look at the bullet to see if there are rifling marks on the ogive. If there are, then the bullet was seated too long and it was jammed into the rifling. 8)

mrmike7189

Single-Sixer
gramps said:
I would have squirted WD-40 down the barrel and waited 5 minutes, taken a cleaning rod and pushed/tapped it out. Glad you got it resolved.
gramps
sounds like the best plan . thats what i would do

Mike J

Hunter
I have never had a squib. I did once have a round of blazer aluminum chambered in a Kel-Tec P-11 that got stuck. I couldn't get the slide to rack to eject it. I put the slide against a 2"x4" where it was pushing against the slide but not the barrel & pushed really hard on the frame & it ejected.