Ruger LC9 or LC9s magazine issue

Help Support Ruger Forum:

julius305

Bearcat
Recently purchased an LC9s. Always been a Ruger fan and never had an issue before. The first round of the magazine fails to feed and jams the slide. Hollow points specifically. Ball ammo slides in. From looking at the magazine, the first round comes out flat, instead of at an angle like a magazine usually does. After the first round is out, the bullets in the remainder of the magazine tilts at an angle. Anyone have this problem before? I've seen others write or post videos on it but never a conclusive fix for the problem. Probably going to have to send it to Ruger. Bummer. Still love the gun though.

OldePhart

Blackhawk
Mine did the same thing. The feed ramp on mine looked like a washboard...it was the roughest I've ever seen. I routinely polish feed ramps on new pistols but this was the first time I encountered one that absolutely needed it, and that needed so much work.

You can get some Flitz polish and a Dremel small felt polishing wheel. Dress the wheel with Flitz and then work at low speed on the Dremel and vertically along the face of the ramp to polish out the ridges that go across the ramp. It will take a while...just don't get impatient. Mine shines like a smooth mirror now and I have no feeding issues.

If you don't feel comfortable polishing it yourself send it back to Ruger and hold their feet to the fire...it's shameful that they are shipping them as rough as they are.

John

djw54

Single-Sixer
Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd revive this one.
Topic: my wife's LC9s with just a couple hundred rounds through it. Even though we purchased it last December, it's been a heck of year getting to the range.
We've got three mags for it that we've been using, an Italian 7-rounder, and USA made 7- and 8-rounders (btw, the 8-rounder is made from the same shell as the 7-rounder; it just has an extended base plate; it'd be nice if we could just buy those).

Issue: the follower on both of the 7-rounders tend to stick, both while loading (using an UPLULA), and while (mis)feeding. The sticking point comes when loading or feeding the second round from the bottom (i.e. the round above the one on the follower). I'm guessing that the mags need to be disassembled, cleaned and maybe some rough edges touched up, but am surprised that both 7-rounders are exhibiting the same problem. The misfeed also appears to be contributing to a failure to eject as that top round flops around. I (or my wife) had some stovepipes and at least one where the empty case was stuck between the slide and the barrel, lengthwise, basically half in/half out, pointing down range.

Other "issue": While watching my wife pull the slide back and release it to load the first round from the magazine, I noticed the slide show a slight hesitation as it went into battery. It always went home (she released it cleanly), but that hesitation has me wondering if I have the feed ramp issue discussed here.

Ammo was Federal bulk 115 gr RN and Freedom Munitions 115 gr HP.

I KNOW I need to get off TDC and break it all down. That's next. Thanks for listening, and feedback appreciated.