LC9S Pro question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Fanner50

Bearcat
Just purchased my LC9S Pro and have a question. The slide release lever does not press down on it's own to release the slide. I have to pull back on the slide very slightly while pressing the lever on the gun for the slide to go "home", into battery. Is this normal? On my Glocks all you have to do is press the slide release and it goes "home" without having to pull back on the slide at the same time. Is my LC9S Pro acting normal or is something wrong with it? Thanks for the help guys.

Jim Puke

Hunter
It is not actually a slide release...it is a slide hold open or stop. Try pulling back on the slide to release it into battery.

Fanner50

Bearcat
Jim Luke said:
It is not actually a slide release...it is a slide hold open or stop. Try pulling back on the slide to release it into battery.

Thanks Jim. So it's working like it's supposed to. I guess I'm just used to the Glock's actually being a slide release. I love the gun though.

loaded round

Hunter
My SR1911 works the same way. When I first bought it, I thought I had defective magazines when the ''slide release'' wouldn't release the slide with a magazine inserted. Ruger even replaced the magazines, and the slide release still didn't work. Some astute forum members pointed out that Ruger considers it a ''slide lock'', not a release so now all's well now with my SR1911. BTW, I've found that most of my Colt magazines will allow the slide lock to release with the Colt made magazine in place.

OldePhart

Blackhawk
Yeah, I bought a grip sock and was a big help (I think it's a Pachmyr - at least the logo looks like it has a P when I hold it under a magnifying glass) - stinking lousy near vision!

Anyway, what helped much, much more was when I used some JB Weld to square the face of the trigger guard, making a nice hook for the off-hand index finger. The gun is actually a pussycat now even with 124gr +P defensive ammo. I can't understand why Ruger would handicap this pistol so with that slippery, slanted, rounded, trigger guard. I guess it looks cool :rollseyes:

John

I like the curved trigger guard. I could not understand why so many pistol makers squared them off until I read about using it with your off hand / finger for a better grip. Still, I like the curve better than square and at least with just practicing with a double grip the curved guard seems to hold pretty well. Not so sure this critter is going to replace my Sig 230, but we'll see.

OldePhart

Blackhawk
I think I got spoiled with the hook when I started shooting Glocks. Until then I'd mostly shot revolvers and of course you pretty much never have a square trigger guard there for good reason. However, once I started using the off-hand index finger I discovered that it stopped the tendency of the muzzle to pull to the strong side during the long trigger travel of a DA or striker-fired gun. I can thrust forward with my strong hand against the back of the grip and actually pull back with the weak hand, forward of the "cam" point, and it really locks it in steady.

Now if I could still see my front sight I might be able to hit the side of a barn from the inside...

Gizmo42

Single-Sixer
OldePhart said:
Now if I could still see my front sight I might be able to hit the side of a barn from the inside...

I know that issue well. I can at least see it enough to get on target but will never be close to a sharp shooter.

loaded round

Hunter
Same here! That's why I added a Crimson Trace Laser sight to mine.

quote="Gizmo42"]
OldePhart said:

I know that issue well. I can at least see it enough to get on target but will never be close to a sharp shooter.[/quote]

Sometimes I miss my Sig P230SL. But not the .380

I have been seriously considering a LC9s pro to add to my carry rotation. Love how lightweight they are.

The SP101 is too "heavy" and honestly I have left it at home a few times. The Sig P938 is too "nice" and sometimes I worry about it.

My full size combat pistols are too uncomfortable, and most of my revolvers are of large magnum hunting style.

I feel the LC9s pro would fit the bill nicely here.

OldePhart

Blackhawk
@DA-TriggR4Ruger - the LC9s (mines not a pro but I actually wanted the manual safety and I took the mag disconnect off) is pretty close to my ideal CCW. The only thing that would be better is if they made an LC40s with similar height and width but a 3.5" barrel (the latter because in .40 I'd want to have such a small gun magna-ported).

I bought the LC9s after trying every small 9mm or .40 pistol that I could lay hands on...as a long-time Glock shooter I loved the trigger (if Glock made a single-stack version similar in size to the 26/27 models I'd be carrying that).

John

Sig made a 9mm 230, but I think they were only issued to LEO's in Europe... wish I could find one with a couple of magazines. Headed home to the farm today, will put a few rounds through this new 'pro' .

Well, I ran out to the woods and put 8 rounds through it.
I have to admit I like it. I now like the trigger and the sights and it seems to be accurate. I will say it is not a pistol I would want to shoot a lot.

OldePhart

Blackhawk
oh, my, you have to love the nice-ification filters here... it changed p u s s y cat to Fluffy Kittens cat... :rofl:

What I meant, at least for me, is that I'm not going to go to the range and spend 2 hours or more putting rounds through this LC9s.... if I'm going to practice shooting it will be with a larger handgun. I will practice with this one but it will probably be limited to 20 or 30 rounds at a time and probably not that often.