LC9 vs LC9S

Help Support Ruger Forum:

johnnylaw53

Bearcat
Been reading a lot on both the LC9S and the LC9S pro. I have an LC9 and have had it for several years now. I was wondering if anyone who have an LC9 have or are thinking about trading it in for either of the LC9S's. With the exception of the sight coming lose when I first got the weapon which was fix with some lock tight and one trip back to ruger due to the USA made magazine which I purchased falling out. I have been very happy with the weapon after over 1500 rounds. A better trigger would be nice but the one on the LC9 is workable. Just wondering if anyone else think it would be worth the loss to trade for a newer one. Thank you

OldePhart

Blackhawk
A number of people have traded in LC9 for LC9s, it seems. If you really don't have a problem with the trigger then there really isn't any reason to do so, though. Personally, the trigger on the LC9 would have been a complete no-go for me from the beginning. It's not that the pull is especially hard or long, it is just with the small gun the angle at which it finally goes bang is all wrong for my hands. The striker-fired version has a shorter, lighter, and VERY smooth pull (at least mine was very smooth...about as smooth or slightly smoother (but slightly heavier) than my Glocks are AFTER I've done the "standard" compeition trigger work on them).

BTW, they do pin the front sight on the LC9s, reportedly because quite a few people were having it go missing on the LC9...

John

rugerguy211

Single-Sixer
I have both and LC9 and and LC9s.
The trade value on my LC9 (a couple of months old, with few rounds through it) was only $125, so for that little I decided to keep it and just buy the LC9s as well.
They are still in competition to see which will become my carry choice.
The dealer thought I could get $250 for the LC9, selling it privately. He just wasn't selling the ones he had already taken in trade, so did not want to take another.

Trucker

Single-Sixer
Yeah ... I had the original LC9 and traded it for the LC9S. Never looked back. I traded for the same or less $$$ than some of the after market trigger upgrades, which often haven't proven out all that satisfactory. If you're satisfied with the LC9, why trade? But you probably shouldn't be dry firing one of the S models if you don't want to be trading ... if you get the drift. Me, I walked into a LCS and asked to see the new LC9S. The owner handed me one and I dry fired it a couple times ... traded on the spot! I did like the LCI on the LC9 but I gladly gave that up in return for the much better trigger on the S model.

loaded round

Hunter
The trigger pull on the LC9s versus the LC9 is as different as night and day. The LC9 has a trigger pull that's simply horrible, and Ruger definitely got it right with the LC9s. Notice all the used LC9 pistols for sale on the various gun sites.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
The LC9 is a greatly improved copy of the Kel Tech PF-9. The double action only (DAO) is a nice long six pound pull that's chief advantage is that of safety for a small concealable pistol. The double action police revolver enjoyed one of the best safety records for over a 100 years. With competent training and practice, the double action police revolver was accurate and effective. So it is with the LC9, with practice it is a good shooter. Certainly doesn't do as well as Range Officer 1911 or even a Glock service pistol, but the LC9 has the additional safety of a very deliberate trigger pull, like a Smith & Wesson snubby only better.

I own an LC9 and like it for being a very slim, lightweight and safe DAO defense pistol. Civilians are unlikely to encounter the legitimate need for lethal force in their lifetime, but face the danger of AD or ND through gun handling every day. I tried the trigger of an LC9s and was surprised how short and light the trigger stroke was. Certainly, it would be easier for someone to shoot the new striker variant, but target shooting at the range is a smaller and less important part of the equation. I like my LC9 and have no plans to replace it or purchase the striker version.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
OldePhart said:
It's not that the pull is especially hard or long, it is just with the small gun the angle at which it finally goes bang is all wrong for my hands.
John

This is best criticism of the LC9 trigger I have seen. Most of the time folks just don't want to learn double action when they are used to and sold on Glock trigger. I still find the LC9 trigger very well adapted to the task .....But then have shot S&W Service and snub nose revolvers for years with pretty good success.

OldePhart

Blackhawk
MountainWalker said:
OldePhart said:
It's not that the pull is especially hard or long, it is just with the small gun the angle at which it finally goes bang is all wrong for my hands.
John

This is best criticism of the LC9 trigger I have seen. Most of the time folks just don't want to learn double action when they are used to and sold on Glock trigger. I still find the LC9 trigger very well adapted to the task .....But then have shot S&W Service and snub nose revolvers for years with pretty good success.
Thanks, you're gonna give me a big head and all that. No, seriously, I started with double action revolvers. I can see where people who started on SA or striker-fired guns would really have trouble with the LC9. When I dry fired an LC9 the trigger didn't feel bad but I could tell that my hand was pulling sharply right because the total "pull" (thinking in rifle terms here - i.e. distance from back strap to trigger) was so short. By the time the gun went click I'd had to pull my finger in so far that there was almost no way to avoid pulling the muzzle to the right. It even happens a little with the LC9s and is why I squared the trigger guard on my LC9s.

If the LC9 was a larger gun, with greater distance between the back strap and the trigger, I don't think the trigger would be bad at all...at least not for anyone with some DA revolver experience.

Latest posts