Ruger P90 Wolff Spring problem

Help Support Ruger Forum:

t.ramsey

Bearcat
I just swapped the recoil spring in my P90 to a 13lb spring. After the swap, I noticed it was binding the last 1/2 inch when I racked the slide. I checked the recoil rod and found that the spring was digging into the rod. What I found was that both ends of the spring were small. There was no big end like the factory spring.

Has anyone else had the same problem?

roylt

Hunter
I run factory original springs. Never changed one but for your situation I suggest simply opening up the coil at one end so it clears the rod. Or send it back to where you got it and tell them you need a new one.

Good luck and keep the P-guns alive!

mrmike7189

Single-Sixer
Oh No I just bought a Wolff spring for my P89 9mm. Was this a defect or are all Wolff springs narrow at each end?
There were no more factory springs available at midwayUSA.(All sold out.)

mrmike7189

Single-Sixer
Mine is worn out......21 years worth of hard use!
Time for a new one I say.
Thought the Wolff springs were better than factory.....they sure cost a lot more than factory

roylt

Hunter
So you are seeing issues with function? I have never changed any springs on any P-gun.

revhigh

Hawkeye
roylt said:
So you are seeing issues with function? I have never changed any springs on any P-gun.

I've never change a spring ... period.

I might try a new one if I had functioning issues possibly related to the spring but I'd exhaust everything else first ... and the first thing I'd try would of be ammo

TRanger

Blackhawk
Speaking conservatively, I have fired tens of thousand of government supplied rounds and more tens of thousands of handloaded or privately purchased rounds through dozens of autoloaders over four decades and I have changed a spring one time. It was a firing pin spring on an old Colt Government Model. Never seen a need to change another. This spring changing business is typically an example of.fixing a non existent problem.

roylt

Hunter
The only springs I have changed are out of need because I buy used older pistols that may have been abused. Read... The spring was rusted to crap. THEN I just replaced it with another used one not new. HAHA.

It was funny to me when the 95 was obsoleted and everyone got panicked that they couldn't find guide rod springs.

Any way getting off track. If the original poster or any others for that matter would like help figuring out why the gun isn't working just ask. We will try to help.

revhigh

Hawkeye
roylt said:
If the original poster or any others for that matter would like help figuring out why the gun isn't working just ask. We will try to help.

There was no mention of any type of problem .... Most likely just fixing something that wasn't broken ... Lots of gun owners 'fix' their guns so well they don't work at all ....

REV

mrmike7189

Single-Sixer
i agree that the p series guns are tough, but any armorer or gunsmith will recommend that springs be changed every 5k - 7K for reliablity

TRanger

Blackhawk
mrmike7189 said:
i agree that the p series guns are tough, but any armorer or gunsmith will recommend that springs be changed every 5k - 7K for reliablity

Just like the guy at the auto shop who recommends you change the oil every 3000 miles.
We banned aftermarket springs and parts in our agency years ago because guys were installing them on their guns for no particular reason..except they had read in Blast & Stab magazine it was "necessary for reliable function." If an officer's gun stops functioning due to spring or part failure , we will.install a new factory replacement. Funny, but no one has needed one yet.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
Ruger is not selling recoil springs and many other parts for the P90 since it has been discontinued. Not sure where the factory spring that is mentioned above is coming from? Good to know that the Wolff spring is not the answer. Seems like Wolff has not done their part in designing and producing an acceptable replacement. The suggestion to just continue to use the original factory spring makes the best sense. As long as pistol functions normally, it is far better to just use the old spring.

On a side note: It seems to be a favorite thing with 1911 hobbyists to replace or "upgrade" with a overpowered Wolff spring. Increasing the recoil spring with an overpowered recoil spring on 1911 is often used to mask a function problem that they don't have the skill or desire to fix. I have bought standard weight Wolff springs, but I am not a fan of over powered springs or hot ammo.

t.ramsey

Bearcat
The factory spring is fine and it shoots well. I was just hoping to reduce the recoil a little and make it shoot better since it will be my primary duty gun.

revhigh

Hawkeye
t.ramsey said:
The factory spring is fine and it shoots well. I was just hoping to reduce the recoil a little and make it shoot better since it will be my primary duty gun.

So you're willing to risk potential functioning problems to fix non-existent problems on a gun that you depend on to protect your life ?

That makes no sense. You can't get a much softer shooting 45 than a P90.

Leave it alone until you have a functioning issue.

REV

t.ramsey

Bearcat
I took it out as soon as I noticed the problem. I have not, and will not, put it back in for the reason revhigh said.

revhigh

Hawkeye
t.ramsey said:
I took it out as soon as I noticed the problem. I have not, and will not, put it back in for the reason revhigh said.

Glad the problem has been resolved with the good ole factory spring.

Nobody knows what works in their gun better than the manufacturer.

REV

mrmike7189

Single-Sixer
too bad Ruger doesn't make any new parts anymore. You will never be able to buy another recoil spring from Ruger, so Wolff will become the only option. I hope that the poor spring in the OP was just a one time thing that got past quality control?