Size with-in the caliber

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Yawn

Blackhawk
Well, I put my money where my mouth is and upgraded to a SR45 from a SR9. (See my other caliber posts if you are curious as to how this evolution took place and why.)

In my SR9, I always just used 115 grain ammo... mostly because it was what I knew, and had always shot. No moving into a new Caliber (though I have shot 45 ACP in friends guns) it has brought out some interesting questions for me. I have seen 230 grain .45, 185 grain .45, and even 165 grain.45. The lighter the load, the faster the round. But that is really all that I know... I need some caliber size, weight, and speed for dummies training. What do you use and why do you use it? Even if you shoot other calibers... they seem to all have these variants... please explain to me the pros and cons of each "weight" round? I hope that makes sense and thanks for the help!

Yawn

Blackhawk
Oh, and will 230 grain ammo be hindered at all because my barrel isn't the full five inches?

OldePhart

Blackhawk
I don't shoot .45 but I do shoot and load .40 S&W and in the past 9mm and .357. In general if you are using a compensator or a ported barrel then a lighter, faster bullet will make the muzzle device more effective (faster gas expansion) but if you are not using a recoil reducing device then a heavier, slower bullet will generally tend to offer less perceived recoil for a given muzzle energy (i.e the recoil will feel more like a push than a slap).

A lot of long-time .45 shooters think the .40 is too "snappy" primarily because of the blast and the sharp nature of the recoil...whereas most people who transition from 9mm or .357 to the .40 don't seem as sensitive to the "snappiness" of the .40 because the recoil of the .40, while significantly greater than the 9mm and somewhat greater than the .357, is of the same nature...i.e they're already accustomed to a slap...the .40 just slaps a little harder.

Beyond that, you also have to find out what your particular gun "likes." Sometimes a short-barreled gun, especially, may not be able to spin a heavy bullet up fast enough for good accuracy, and so on.

Bottom line, experiment!

John

Rei40c

Blackhawk
OldePhart has it right on. I didn't know this starting out and "discovered" this myself with my .40 s&w when it became clear I seemed to shoot 180 loads better and noticed less recoil in my shooting. I think this is a more noticeable difference in the .40 then the 9mm or .45 you are shooting.

One thing to watch out for in factory ammo I've noticed. -
Whenever you see a self defense ammo advertising above average velocities or even expansion there's usually a cost for that, and often times it's a very hot round that can (depending on how hot they load it) be beyond your personal comfort level for recoil. It sounds great on paper but if your flinching every round where you may not have been before in my opinion it's not worth the trade off.

One misconception I had was I thought- "Well, if 165 grain is good, 180 grain must be even better!" But this is not true. In all 3 calibers the lighter or medium range bullets tend to develop better records on the street. This is true of the 9mm where 124 grain seems to be the ideal weight, in the .40 where the 165g bullets seem to have a better record then the 180, and even in the case of .45acp where there are many well respected rounds that are below 230 grains, however most people I know prefer the 230g because of it's better shooting characteristics.

So what it comes down to for most is deciding between an easier round to shoot that may be a heavier bullet outside the "optimal" but you may shoot better, or the hottest thing that will recoil more and give a slight increase in effectiveness. Very slight in my opinion but that's an open debate.

That's a decision you'll have to make on your own. The decision I made was some of these rounds where too hot for me to fire well, or outside my personal tolerance limits for recoil. The first I discovered like this was the PDX1 165g in .40 for example which is a great round, does everything you'll see in an ad for it, but they fail to mention how they get the rather exceptional results, it usually means more powder or a different type of powder or both. It's not magic and usually you can get a strong hint by reading the listed muzzle velocities. :)

So to sum up after my experiences shooting these, I shoot heavy for caliber, I avoid all +p ammo. The one exception to my heavier bullet preference is the 9mm. I do not like the 147 grain loading in this caliber. Some say it was really developed for sub machine guns such as the MP5 for instance, and is not well suited for a smaller pistol or even standard sized pistol with a 3-4 inch barrel. It's kinda taking the 9mm and making it into something it was never meant to be, a heavy bullet. On top of that there are many reports of some smaller pistols having trouble cycling it.

Yawn

Blackhawk
OldePhart said:
I don't shoot .45 but I do shoot and load .40 S&W and in the past 9mm and .357. In general if you are using a compensator or a ported barrel then a lighter, faster bullet will make the muzzle device more effective (faster gas expansion) but if you are not using a recoil reducing device then a heavier, slower bullet will generally tend to offer less perceived recoil for a given muzzle energy (i.e the recoil will feel more like a push than a slap).

A lot of long-time .45 shooters think the .40 is too "snappy" primarily because of the blast and the sharp nature of the recoil...whereas most people who transition from 9mm or .357 to the .40 don't seem as sensitive to the "snappiness" of the .40 because the recoil of the .40, while significantly greater than the 9mm and somewhat greater than the .357, is of the same nature...i.e they're already accustomed to a slap...the .40 just slaps a little harder.

Beyond that, you also have to find out what your particular gun "likes." Sometimes a short-barreled gun, especially, may not be able to spin a heavy bullet up fast enough for good accuracy, and so on.

Bottom line, experiment!

John

Excellent post!! That makes SOOOOOO much sense! I think I was using the wrong 9mm cartridge for my SR9 for me. 147 may have, as you said, not spun well enough in my 4 inch barrel to have it work as well accuracy wise, but I think at least a 124 would have been the best bet. So, i probably will not use 185 in my .45 ACP... does anyone know how well 230 works in a 4 inch barrel, or would 200 be my best bet... since 230 is really formulated for a 5 inch barrel right?

Great post!!

Yawn

Blackhawk
Rei40c said:
OldePhart has it right on. I didn't know this starting out and "discovered" this myself with my .40 s&w when it became clear I seemed to shoot 180 loads better and noticed less recoil in my shooting. I think this is a more noticeable difference in the .40 then the 9mm or .45 you are shooting.

One thing to watch out for in factory ammo I've noticed. -
Whenever you see a self defense ammo advertising above average velocities or even expansion there's usually a cost for that, and often times it's a very hot round that can (depending on how hot they load it) be beyond your personal comfort level for recoil. It sounds great on paper but if your flinching every round where you may not have been before in my opinion it's not worth the trade off.

One misconception I had was I thought- "Well, if 165 grain is good, 180 grain must be even better!" But this is not true. In all 3 calibers the lighter or medium range bullets tend to develop better records on the street. This is true of the 9mm where 124 grain seems to be the ideal weight, in the .40 where the 165g bullets seem to have a better record then the 180, and even in the case of .45acp where there are many well respected rounds that are below 230 grains, however most people I know prefer the 230g because of it's better shooting characteristics.

So what it comes down to for most is deciding between an easier round to shoot that may be a heavier bullet outside the "optimal" but you may shoot better, or the hottest thing that will recoil more and give a slight increase in effectiveness. Very slight in my opinion but that's an open debate.

That's a decision you'll have to make on your own. The decision I made was some of these rounds where too hot for me to fire well, or outside my personal tolerance limits for recoil. The first I discovered like this was the PDX1 165g in .40 for example which is a great round, does everything you'll see in an ad for it, but they fail to mention how they get the rather exceptional results, it usually means more powder or a different type of powder or both. It's not magic and usually you can get a strong hint by reading the listed muzzle velocities. :)

So to sum up after my experiences shooting these, I shoot heavy for caliber, I avoid all +p ammo. The one exception to my heavier bullet preference is the 9mm. I do not like the 147 grain loading in this caliber. Some say it was really developed for sub machine guns such as the MP5 for instance, and is not well suited for a smaller pistol or even standard sized pistol with a 3-4 inch barrel. It's kinda taking the 9mm and making it into something it was never meant to be, a heavy bullet. On top of that there are many reports of some smaller pistols having trouble cycling it.

This was an excellent post as well... It made a lot of sense... and really gave me some good things to think about. I responded to Olde's post before reading yours and it was nice to know that my summations about 9mm ammo were the same as you derived and for primarily the same reasons. you mentioned 230's better shooting characteristics... can you go into more detail about that? I am worried that it won't develop in my 4 inch barrel as well as a 200 grain...

Thanks everyone!

Jim Puke

Hunter
The 230gr will perform fine in a 4" barrel.

Been shooting 45acp all of my life and in all barrel lengths the 230gr has been fine in all of them.

TRanger

Blackhawk
Simplify your life and stick with the proven 230 grain weight. That is likely what the gun is sighted for and is the best performer in .45 ACP. This heavyweight bullet gets the job done regardless of whether it expands or not. Don't be fooled.