New LCP

Help Support Ruger Forum:

HIP SHOT

Bearcat
Just saw on FB that Ruger is releasing another version of the LCP. Red alum trigger, dovetailed sites, SS guide rod.

Hip Shot

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Well they have seem to have pimped their own ride. Photo luminescent sights means that they need to be charged with light for them to glow for a period of time. I had a glow in the dark Jesus that some people gave me at my friend's church breakfast when I was a kid, I think my little sister ate it, that's why she turned out so weird.

http://ruger.com/products/lcp/specSheets/3740.html

OldePhart

Blackhawk
Photo-luminescent sights??? I had to follow the link and see that sight description for myself! Photo-luminescent sights are stupid on any gun, but on a pocket pistol??? That's quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever heard of! "Time out mugger/robber/thug/rapist guy...I've got to shine this flashlight here on my sights for a bit so they'll glow...okay, now where were we?"

Photo-luminescent sights are just pure marketing twaddle and I don't see how a decision to use them on a pocket pistol can be interpreted as anything other than an intentional effort to deceive (doubtless hoping that they will be confused with tritium night sights). On a purely defensive product like a pocket pistol I believe that demonstrates absolute disdain for one's customers!

It makes me sad that a once-great American gun company seems to be run by marketing bozos with no firearms experience, now. It's also pretty obvious that those bozos aren't listening to anybody left at the company that might have a modicum of common sense...

I believe if there was a shred of decency left at Ruger they would fire the idiot that decided to put photo-luminescent sights on a pocket pistol...fat chance of that happening.

John

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
OldePhart said:
Photo-luminescent sights??? I had to follow the link and see that sight description for myself! Photo-luminescent sights are stupid on any gun, but on a pocket pistol??? That's quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever heard of! "Time out mugger/robber/thug/rapist guy...I've got to shine this flashlight here on my sights for a bit so they'll glow...okay, now where were we?"

Photo-luminescent sights are just pure marketing twaddle and I don't see how a decision to use them on a pocket pistol can be interpreted as anything other than an intentional effort to deceive (doubtless hoping that they will be confused with tritium night sights). On a purely defensive product like a pocket pistol I believe that demonstrates absolute disdain for one's customers!

It makes me sad that a once-great American gun company seems to be run by marketing bozos with no firearms experience, now. It's also pretty obvious that those bozos aren't listening to anybody left at the company that might have a modicum of common sense...

I believe if there was a shred of decency left at Ruger they would fire the idiot that decided to put photo-luminescent sights on a pocket pistol...fat chance of that happening.

John

HK's new striker fired pistol uses photo luminescent sights, the VP9. My guess is they or someone else will make a good share of money selling real night sights for those pistols as time goes by.

groberts

Single-Sixer
Cheesewhiz said:
Well they have seem to have pimped their own ride. Photo luminescent sights means that they need to be charged with light for them to glow for a period of time. I had a glow in the dark Jesus that some people gave me at my friend's church breakfast when I was a kid, I think my little sister ate it, that's why she turned out so weird.

http://ruger.com/products/lcp/specSheets/3740.html
Glow in the dark sites on a pocket gun. Brilliant. :roll:

OldePhart

Blackhawk
Cheesewhiz said:
HK's new striker fired pistol uses photo luminescent sights, the VP9. My guess is they or someone else will make a good share of money selling real night sights for those pistols as time goes by.

I have to ask myself how many people are not going to ever get a chance to replace the sights because the first time they discover that those aren't actually night sights on their gun happens to be as they are being attacked in low light... That's why I say that any company that would put them on such an obviously defensive pistol is demonstrating utter disdain for their customers. In essence they are saying, "it is more important to us that we sell a lot of these pistols by deceiving people into thinking they are getting a 'night sight' than it is that the pistols actually perform their intended purpose when a customer's life depends on them."

Many people who buy pistols like this are not "gun nuts" like us. Some are conscientious enough to visit the range regularly out of a sense of duty...but even dim ranges are well lit enough that they probably aren't going to notice that the sights only glow if they've been charged by exposure to light. I'd estimate that most of the buyers of these pistols will never realize that they don't actually have night sights; in fact the manufacturers are betting on that. The bottom line is that it's almost certain that sooner or later somebody is going to die because they were deceived by some marketing putz.

Sure, night sights aren't absolutely essential in a close encounter for those of us who are avid shooters. Most of us could probably hit an assailant at five yards in dim light with no sights at all and many of us could do that at ten yards. The point is that more casual shooters who are putting down their money thinking they're getting night sights are being intentionally deceived and I think that speaks volumes about the companies involved.

John

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Agree, the LCP is a last-ditch, "press muzzle against target" gun. Pimping it with a dirt-collecting trigger and goofy sights doesn't do anything for me.
YMMV.

Al James

Hunter
mohavesam said:
Agree, the LCP is a last-ditch, "press muzzle against target" gun. Pimping it with a dirt-collecting trigger and goofy sights doesn't do anything for me.
YMMV.

+1!! A red trigger on a pocket gun. If it is a great trigger and I learn that I want one, it will be black somehow, someway. And the sights.....:roll:

On the bright side I am interested to see how it shoots with a decent trigger and better sights. I would imagine this gun is in response to everyone requesting both "improvements".

Tritiums from Trijicon or XS, a blackened trigger, SS slide, and I may consider one. This launch model...no.

Thor

Bearcat
If they wanted to actually improve the LCP they should adopt the Tandem Kross takedown pin design. I installed one in mine and, it stopped trying to fall apart every time I try to get some range time with it.

Koyote

Bearcat
I am curious why they have put a SS guide rod in the LCP. The LC9 plastic guide rod was supposed to be good enough, now Ruger is starting to switch to SS in the LCP???
Seems to me, Ruger is starting to make a lot of changes for $$$ sake. Sad, very sad...

NvrDwn

Bearcat
I just picked this gun up. I agree the sight is a bit dumb. I couldn't care less that the trigger is red because the gun is always hidden. I got it because the sights are better anytime there is sufficient light.

Al James

Hunter
NvrDwn said:
I just picked this gun up. I agree the sight is a bit dumb. I couldn't care less that the trigger is red because the gun is always hidden. I got it because the sights are better anytime there is sufficient light.

Hows the trigger feel?

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
OldePhart said:

John
Thanks for the multiple chuckles!! The company has digressed a great deal from when Bill Ruger was there. Some marketing and new products can be a great thing, but they can also go too far.

coldwater

Bearcat
It may be a direct marketing response to requests from people that just cant leave well enough alone. Endless streams of messages from people wanting "cool" stuff. I want a match trigger and awesome looking sights, when will you make it in different colors, you have to put glow in the dark Ruger logos on it. This sub culture of having to tinker with everything and turn it into something it was never meant to be just muddies up the waters for everyone else. I doubt that red trigger and glow in the dark sights will help when it's shoved into the ribs of the maniac on top of you trying to stab club or strangle you.

Jeff130

Bearcat
I like the new red trigger, it actually felt better when pulled, reset was about the same. Anyone knows where I can get it from? Is Ruger selling it? Can't find it in "shopruger.com". Did not care for the big sights. Thank you for your time.

Joezilla

Bearcat
NvrDwn said:

How does it shoot? How is that new red trigger?

Joe