SR9 disapointed

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jim8115

Bearcat
Traded my wifes XD9SC for a sr9, because she wanted a manual safety. The Xd, worked flawlessly, as has every XD I have ever owned. This SR9 has Failure to extract on a regular basis, all kinds of ammo...........I am calling Ruger in the morning and will go ahead and send it back. Hopefully they can fix it, as we really like the gun. Nice trigger, crazy accurate... it just wont run reliably

HS-LD

Bearcat
Ruger is a super good customer service company. They will either get it 100% or replace it. You may have to send it back a few times though. I currently have an new SR9 SS with the same problem you are having. I decided to monkey with it a bit and I think I got it working. But even if it doesn't stay fixed with what I did, I know I can send it back and Ruger will get it 100%.

They're good guns from a good company, worth the time and effort in my opinion.

jim8115

Bearcat
Got it back this week. They replaced slide stop, mag disconnect , and ejector ( i thinks that all ) I dont have the paper with me right now) . Double feed first time we tried it, then several times after.
Not real pleased.............I suspect it has either a tight chamber, or a burr in it... I dropped it off at gunsmith last night.. will see what he says

Rabon

Single-Sixer
The best customer service is customer service you don't need to use, Ruger really needs to look at their quality control.

Mike J

Hunter
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
They should give you a new one.

I agree with this. I would call & send it right back to Ruger. If their service can't make it right ask for another gun. I have seen a post on another forum from a mini 14 owner that had problems. Ruger could not seem to get them resolved. It took a while for him to go through the rigamarole but they actually refunded his money. Stay after them until they make it right.

OldePhart

Blackhawk
Rabon said:
The best customer service is customer service you don't need to use, Ruger really needs to look at their quality control.
This in spades. Customer service should be a last resort...Ruger appears to be using it for primary QC (I base this on my own experience, not just the reports of problems here). I'm sure the bean counters at Ruger think it's a wonderful money saver but it's an extremely short-sighted policy. In any industry, by the time customers call customer support with a problem they're already upset and no matter how talented your phone-service manipulators are you've already lost better than 50% of those customers for any future sales. The only thing your mollifiers in the call center can do with that 50% (or more) is try to keep them happy enough to not tell all their friends (or the whole internet) just how bad the product is.

Just think about what has happened with the "word of mouth" reputation of Ruger over the last ten or twenty years. Ruger and Taurus, of all things, are being commonly equated as equal in overall quality and Taurus' reputation is rising while Ruger's is going the other direction.

It really makes me sad that an old "American standard" seems perfectly content to follow that path and appears to believe that introducing silly-looking guns with strange cutaways and oddball colors is the way to remain competitive...instead of just producing good solid products that actually do what they were meant to, the first time, every time, without the owner having to be a gunsmith or send the gun back to Ruger multiple times.

PebblePimp

Bearcat
I bought an SR9 v1.5 (first year, post recall) & it's a little picky on ammo. Cheap 115 gr reloads & Remington UMC stovepipe & FTE every 3 rounds. Winchester white box 115 gr & anything heavier cycle perfectly. Not sure if you tried 124 gr & heavier or not, but worth a shot (pun intended). My G17 eats anything. That's why it's my main pistol.

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
my SR9 and the three I gifted to family members, eat any lousy thing fed, from my reloads to the cheapest junk off the shelf. had to teach two daughters not to limp wrist, but that was easy and not the fault of the pistols.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
Rabon said:
Very sage observation. XD really excels in this area. I read an interview done at the XD factory in Croatia and the spokesperson stated that it is their intent to build their weapons so they never have to come back. The XD factory does that pretty well. I think that the XD grip safety is underrated by lots of folks. It is a great safety enhancement during holstering if the operator is trained to keep hand clear of the grip safety while inserting the gun in the holster.

Having said that, I really do like the thumb safety on my SR9c, so I see the attraction there.

jim8115

Bearcat
Got it back from my local gunsmith. They smoothed out the throat, and it works fine now....