LC9s Pro magazine problem again

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mailman

Bearcat
I'm thinking about getting an LC9s Pro and have been reading the threads about the magazines dropping for unexplained reasons. There's mention of USA magazines and the ones made in Italy. Now I understand from reading the threads that the ones marked "Made in Italy" work better than the USA mags. I bought an LC9 as soon as they were available and after reading these posts I checked more closely to see which mags were included with mine. My LC9 came with the Italy mags. Did Ruger supply the USA made mags with the LC9s Pro or are the Italy ones included in the box like my original LC9? Is the problem just confined to the 9 round mags? Seems like the 7 round mags are working well whether it be from the USA or from Italy.

I don't want to buy a new LC9s Pro and have the mag issues. I'll stick with my original LC9 even though the reviews say it is a much better semi, especially with the trigger pull.

OldePhart

Blackhawk
My LC9s (not pro) purchased about three or four months ago came with a USA 7-round magazine. It does not drop under recoil, but DOES release in the holster. You've probably seen my posts about it in the related threads here. I just worked at the church all morning, today, carrying bundles of brush and doing other manual labor requiring all sorts of bending and lifting and my Italian mag is still firmly seated...the USA mag would have been releasing every time I twisted or turned my torso. I don't know that all of the USA mags do that, but some most certainly do. On one of the threads I posted details about my analysis of why it's happening - and I suspect that some holsters and body shapes may contribute to the problem while other shooters might be able to use the mags without an issue.

I was noticing on one aftermarket (not Ruger) 9-round magazine the web sight explicitly said the magazine was not compatible with the LC9s, only the LC9. My guess on those is that the grip extension fits much more closely to the grip than does the Ruger 9-rounder...and there are very slight differences in the shape of the bottom of the grip between an LC9 and an LC9s.

So, bottom line is if you receive a gun with 7-round USA mags and have a problem with them, keep the 7-round Italian mags from your LC9...and just avoid 9-round mags for the time being.

If you carry regularly I would also keep and carry your LC9 for a few weeks until you have a chance to put a couple hundred rounds through the LC9s to make sure there aren't going to be issues with it. I'm not saying that there are problems with the LC9s, quite the contrary, it's a nice gun and the trigger is a HUGE improvement over the LC9, but Ruger's QC in general doesn't seem to be what it once was. The feed ramp on my LC9s was the roughest I've ever seen - once I took care of that it became a very good gun.

John