New SR-9 blues...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

HS-LD

Bearcat
SO I got an SR9c and an SR40 that are tack drivers and reliable as taxes are high...

Picked up a new SR9 SS and got a lot of practice at the range clearing double feeds. Ejection is wimpy with UMC and Win WB. Tested my SR9c with the same ammo and it flys forcefully through the air and lands in a nice little pile 5 feet away, it dribbles out of the SR-9 SS.

So 170 rounds and 5 double feeds/FTE's later with 3 different mags, I guess I'm shipping it back to Ruger. (Gun was cleaned and lubed, just like all my others.)

Does Ruger pay the postage to and from?

HS-LD

Bearcat
Last night I gave the gun a good clean and lube, and really got all of that cosmoline/grease that Ruger ships it with out and the gun shot a lot better today.

I ran 5 mags through and had 1 FTE/double feed about half way through the second mag. Then it ran 100% for 3 full mags with Federal cheapie ammo.

Ejection is a lot better today too, about average for what my Glocks/M&P's and 9E do. (Not as good as my SR9c or SR40, those things throw the brass 6 feet away into a nice little pile. )

Do these problems self correct? Or to put it another way do these guns break in after a couple hundred rounds?

OldePhart

Blackhawk
Unless it's a real serious problem/potential safety issue, etc. I don't even start to think about accuracy or reliability before 300 or more rounds. Of course, I don't carry the gun until I've had at least 100 rounds through it trouble-free and reasonably accurate. I had a couple FTFs with my LC9s the first range trip. I noticed that the feed ramp was really rough and so polished that really well with Flitz on a Dremel buffing wheel. Haven't had an issue since (aside from the stupid USA magazine uncommanded releases - but that I fixed by purchasing Italian magazines).

The grease Ruger uses is some pretty sticky stuff...I've never found that on other new guns I've purchased (except a surplus SKS that was still packed in Cosmoline back in the 80's).

John

HS-LD

Bearcat
OldePhart said:
Unless it's a real serious problem/potential safety issue, etc. I don't even start to think about accuracy or reliability before 300 or more rounds. Of course, I don't carry the gun until I've had at least 100 rounds through it trouble-free and reasonably accurate. I had a couple FTFs with my LC9s the first range trip. I noticed that the feed ramp was really rough and so polished that really well with Flitz on a Dremel buffing wheel. Haven't had an issue since (aside from the stupid USA magazine uncommanded releases - but that I fixed by purchasing Italian magazines).

The grease Ruger uses is some pretty sticky stuff...I've never found that on other new guns I've purchased (except a surplus SKS that was still packed in Cosmoline back in the 80's).

John

Thanks John, that's good advice. This gun is in all other ways great. I can already tell it's dead on accurate. I'm getting close to 300 rounds now, I gave it a good clean again and maybe Monday I'll run 100 rounds through it and see where we are at. If it eats those, I'm just going to give it a good to go.

HS-LD

Bearcat
130 rounds through at the range today. Lawman, UMC, Mag Tech, Win WB.

I had a stove pipe at 30 rounds. Then I sprayed the ejector with Rem Oil just for kicks and giggles, and then ran 100 rounds through 100%.

I did 2 - 15 round mag dumps at the end, again 100%.

It may be psychological, but I'm thinking the Rem Oil changed things. It just felt 100% after that. So I'm signing off on it, but I'm going to keep my eye on it too. Maybe 100 rounds a week for the next month or two and see how were doing...

But I'd feel comfortable CCW with it now. (And I have had a lot of recent malfunction drill too! )

papaSR9

Single-Sixer
HS-LD said:
Last night I gave the gun a good clean and lube, and really got all of that cosmoline/grease that Ruger ships it with out and the gun shot a lot better today.

I ran 5 mags through and had 1 FTE/double feed about half way through the second mag. Then it ran 100% for 3 full mags with Federal cheapie ammo.

Ejection is a lot better today too, about average for what my Glocks/M&P's and 9E do. (Not as good as my SR9c or SR40, those things throw the brass 6 feet away into a nice little pile. )

Do these problems self correct? Or to put it another way do these guns break in after a couple hundred rounds?

Wait, if I read your post correctly, you took a factory shipped firearm and didn't even clean it before running rounds through it? I have never taken a firearm and just slapped in a magazine and started firing off rounds without first doing a field strip, inspection, a good cleaning/lubrication and a safety/function check. Unbalanced lubrication, unseen objects that may interfere with the safe operation can be found with a initial breakdown and cleaning before sending live ammo down the pipe.

Other than that, yes, once it is 'broke in' with a couple of hundred rounds, it will run as good as any other Ruger firearm.

HS-LD

Bearcat
papaSR9 said:
HS-LD said:

Wait, if I read your post correctly, you took a factory shipped firearm and didn't even clean it before running rounds through it? I have never taken a firearm and just slapped in a magazine and started firing off rounds without first doing a field strip, inspection, a good cleaning/lubrication and a safety/function check. Unbalanced lubrication, unseen objects that may interfere with the safe operation can be found with a initial breakdown and cleaning before sending live ammo down the pipe.

Other than that, yes, once it is 'broke in' with a couple of hundred rounds, it will run as good as any other Ruger firearm.

I took it apart to make sure everything was in it... :)

But I didn't clean it. Heck Glock used to ship their guns with this copper colored break in compound. You were supposed to leave it in. I'm realizing now that the Ruger silly putty they ship the guns with is for shipping only, LOL.

I kinda think a modern service weapon should function 100% out of the box. But Ruger is old school and I have to remember that. It's probably why I like them so much! I gotta make that "Glock think" go away!

OldePhart

Blackhawk
Yeah, every Glock, S&W, and Para-Ordinance handgun I've purchased has been ready to shoot right out of the box...though that didn't stop me from checking them first, anyway.

Standard break-in for me with a Glock is to go get a case of crappy Wolf steel-case ammo and burn through a few hundred rounds. My Glocks have been fine with that...no problems at all. Not so the Ruger - it needed a good cleaning, some heavy feed ramp polishing, and a light lube before it was ready to rumble. :)

John

papaSR9

Single-Sixer
HS-LD said:
papaSR9 said:
HS-LD said:

I took it apart to make sure everything was in it... :)

But I didn't clean it. Heck Glock used to ship their guns with this copper colored break in compound. You were supposed to leave it in. I'm realizing now that the Ruger silly putty they ship the guns with is for shipping only, LOL.

I kinda think a modern service weapon should function 100% out of the box. But Ruger is old school and I have to remember that. It's probably why I like them so much! I gotta make that "Glock think" go away!

I agree that modern service weapons should function 100% out of the box but any firearm is not going to be sterile coming out of the box from the factory. Many hands will be on it from the time it ships out from the manufacturer. Serial number has to be repeatedly and manually verified and somewhere there will be always be that employee at a dealer who will want to pick it up out of the box and 'play' with it.

I own the SR9. SR40c (my daily carry) and the SR1911 among other firearms. They each have to go through function checks and cleaning or dust down when I go out the range. I think of it as pilot who walks around his airplane and makes sure that everything is as it should be. Funny thing is that once when I flew out on a Boeing 777 to the Philippines on a business trip, the pilot walked the outside of the airplane, nose to tail and wing end to wing end before we boarded. He has hundreds of ground crew working to ensure the plane can fly but he did that extra step because he was responsible for actually flying it.

I know that your SR9 will loosen up and provide you with great service. It was my first firearm purchase and I will never sell it. Just wait until you get your hands on the SR1911, best 1911 for the money, hands down.

HS-LD

Bearcat
Funny you mention the walk around, I used to be that guy... All the ground crew is concentrating on is pretty much what they are responsible for. The pilot walking around is looking for stuff that other people are not responsible for. Like the Alaska flight that landed in Fairbanks from Cali, then proceeded at 10,000 feet to Juneau. When they did the walk around to head back to Cali the First Officer spotted the two forklift holes that the ground crew in Fairbanks had left in the side of the plane. They didn't catch it from Fairbanks to Juneau because they didn't get high enough to need pressurization. True story.

freedomcosts

Single-Sixer
OK, keep this as short as I can. SR(, had well over 1,000 rounds thru it- added an Ultimate trigger bar and some re-set springs. Worked great, trigger was smooth, quick to reset. All of a sudden had several stovepipes, and slide was closing when inserting magazines (all 3 of them.)
Sent to Ruger- they replaced entire trigger, barrel ejector etc.
Fired 200 rounds thru it, ok, but slide still closed (even with new mag they gave me.)
So had Ultimate bar and springs re-replaced. 200 rounds fine- then- and then...
The slide started closing so fast, it was pushing the new round up under the expended casing- so the casing couldn't be ejected. At least that's what my local smith said. He watyched me shoot, looked at it, saw the misfeed- He said it looked like a had a good grip, and he can onl figure the recoil spring was too slow/fast, something, and the new round slides UNDER the old.
Well, got to thining- before more repairs, I'd try a couple more mags but hold it tight as I could.Ran 3 mags thru it, not one problem.
So maybe it WAS me?
Going to the range again tomorrow, see what happens. I have never had a problem with limp-wrist before- I was also shooting my 9c and no problem there. Holding it the same way I always do.
I kinda see why many of us call our guns 'she'....finicky lil things sometimes.

HS-LD

Bearcat
freedomcosts said:
OK, keep this as short as I can. SR(, had well over 1,000 rounds thru it- added an Ultimate trigger bar and some re-set springs. Worked great, trigger was smooth, quick to reset. All of a sudden had several stovepipes, and slide was closing when inserting magazines (all 3 of them.)
Sent to Ruger- they replaced entire trigger, barrel ejector etc.
Fired 200 rounds thru it, ok, but slide still closed (even with new mag they gave me.)
So had Ultimate bar and springs re-replaced. 200 rounds fine- then- and then...
The slide started closing so fast, it was pushing the new round up under the expended casing- so the casing couldn't be ejected. At least that's what my local smith said. He watyched me shoot, looked at it, saw the misfeed- He said it looked like a had a good grip, and he can onl figure the recoil spring was too slow/fast, something, and the new round slides UNDER the old.
Well, got to thining- before more repairs, I'd try a couple more mags but hold it tight as I could.Ran 3 mags thru it, not one problem.
So maybe it WAS me?
Going to the range again tomorrow, see what happens. I have never had a problem with limp-wrist before- I was also shooting my 9c and no problem there. Holding it the same way I always do.
I kinda see why many of us call our guns 'she'....finicky lil things sometimes.

Yea, I thought I had this licked, but took it out yesterday and got a FTE after the 3rd round. Worked great for another 30.

Called Ruger, they want me to send it back, but the girl was really clueless. I appreciate their willingness to spend money on shipping, etc. And the CS is really top notch by today's standards. But I live in another state in the winter and they want me to ship it and receive it from the state in which my drivers license is issued. Fair enough, I'll send it in when the roads are less icy.

I hold my Glocks and M&P's and all my other SR's the same way and they shoot just fine. This gun is dead on accurate and when it works I really like it. Kinda like a red head I dated once. She was my favorite, but prone to misbehave too. :)

freedomcosts

Single-Sixer
Well, went to outdoor range, a little chilly so didn;t shoot much. But had 2 more FTEs- I was sure to hold it tight most of the time but due to the cold I probably slipped some, too. Guess I'll wait, maybe with this new trigger, new extractor- it just needs some more breaking in. Also want to try a different recoil rod, see if that affects anything.

HS-LD

Bearcat
I think I fixed it... I figured hey if I got to send it in anyway, why not: So I roll pinned the extractor out and used a little flat file and sharpened up the extractor edge just a hair. Also de-burred a few spots where the casting left a ridge, whatever looked like it might be a problem. But I was very conservative, a few strokes here, a few strokes there.

Took it to the range and 100 rounds 100%. And all the brass was at my 4:30 about 3 feet away in a nice little pile. Win WB and Rem UMC. It just felt a lot better.

So a few more 100 round range trips and I'll be a happy camper.