SR 40 mods

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jimmyjsr40

Bearcat
Just took my SR40 and fired 120 rounds thru it. No misfires, jams, or malfunctions. I had the Galloway assembled SS guide rod and springs, heavy striker spring, and Smooth it trigger kit installed. When I concentrated I shot pretty good. Sprayed a few rounds also. Overall felt pretty good about my shooting and the SR40. Also own a SR 40c. Plan to have the same mods done on the SR 40c. I did notice while cleaning that everything is much stiffer while taking the gun down. My gunsmith said he thought the Ruger was better than a Glock after installing the mods. If Ruger would send them from the factory like that, it would make a good pistol, a great pistol.

Al James

Hunter
I've had good luck with the SR40 and the SR40c. Both have been 100% reliable. Actually I have had good luck with the entire SR series. I did have an early SR9 with some internal finish issues that were corrected when the gun was sent back for the initial trigger recall. I had a bad mag in my early SR45 too. Both were minor teething issues IMO. I have shot the compacts quite a bit more than the fullsize guns just because I carry them often and have them with me more often than not. All my SR guns are bone stock and will probably stay that way. The triggers have broken in quite nice for factory.

The fullsize is a soft shooting 40S&W that is for sure. I have taken it and the Glock 22 out on the same day and there is an obvious difference. The G22 recoil never really bothered me but compared to the SR40 the recoil impulse feels pretty snappy. I would rather put 500 in one day through the Ruger instead of the Glock that's for sure. Overall I feel the SR series are great guns especially for the price....if you can get past the lack of a hammer.