muzzle brake

Help Support Ruger Forum:

opr1945

Bearcat
I have recently purchased a Mark III 22/45 with threaded barrel. Have been looking for a muzzle brake for it. Can find plenty for 10/22 rifle, but nothing for 22/45. Have learned the 10/22 rifle thread is 1/2 x 28. what is thread on mini 14?

So will brake for rifle fit 22/45 pistol?

thanks.

opr1945

Bearcat
found an old press release from ruger about the new 22/45 pistols. says threads are 1/2 x 28.

Ruger Introduces 22/45 Pistols with Threaded Barrels
January 20, 2011
Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. (NYSE: RGR), announces two new 22/45™ rimfire pistol models with threaded barrels. These new models allow owners to attach an assortment of muzzle accessories to one of America's favorite rimfire handguns, the popular Ruger 22/45RP rimfire pistol.

Both models feature a 4.5 inch, factory 1/2-28 thread barrel, which accepts many popular muzzle accessories. When not using a special application attachment, the threaded barrel and barrel crown are protected by a muzzle cap.

so seems like rifle brakes should fit.

roylt

Hunter
AR15 are the same thread pitch. A lot of pistol barrels are this same thread too.

Standard AR bird cage is 11 bucks on ebay.

OldePhart

Blackhawk
Good point, gramps. Not only that, a true muzzle brake on any handgun is not such a great idea. A true muzzle brake directs some gas back toward the shooter (not directly, but at an angle). It works basically like a thrust reverser on a jet engine. Seems like a big handgun with a muzzle brake would punish the shooter with a lot of blast unless the handgun has a very long barrel...not such an issue on a .22LR but then why do you need a brake at all on a .22LR (or, for that matter, a .22WMR)?

A compensator works somewhat on the same principal, but has flat baffles that direct gas perpendicular to shooter (still not sure why you'd want one on a .22, though). As I'm sure most of us have, I've owned and shot a pretty large assortment of .22LR guns over the years, long guns and handguns, and I can't really imagine needing any kind of recoil-reducing gizmos on one...

John

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Compensators have been used on .22LR competition pistols to reduce muzzle rise and increase the speed of target acquisition between shots. This can be a benefit in rapid fire stages.