LCP slide pin comes out

Help Support Ruger Forum:

loadedguns

Bearcat
I have this LCP for about 2 months and shooting about 30 times the slide came off. It went down range about 5 ft is this common with this gun.

COLT_45

Single-Sixer
I'm always skeptical when I see a brand new user post a negative thread about a Ruger gun. It very well might be legit but I've seen to many unjustified claims by brand new users that have something to gain from these kinda posts..... So I'm taking this with a grain of salt..... If it is genuine except my apology, call Ruger, and ask them for a return and follow up on this thread with pics etc... Personally having shot many rounds thru my LCP stainless I haven't experienced one single issue.

OldePhart

Blackhawk
In this case google can be your friend. I wouldn't say it's a huge issue but there are definitely people out there reporting problems with the take down pins backing out on some of these. Given that this is a gun that exists basically for nothing but CCW, and the fact that I demand absolute ironclad reliability from a CC weapon, it would certainly be enough to concern me. I'd want to know why the pin tended to back out and I'd want to know what could be done to fix it. Chances are I'd turn to internet forums first in my looking for answers. If it was my first Ruger, it's not unreasonable that I might actually join a Ruger forum just to find out if others are having the same issue.

It's like the unintentional magazine release issue with the LC9s which is something that I've experienced myself (though only releasing in the holster, even the USA one has never dropped under recoil for me as it apparently has for quite a few people). Or the fact that the feed ramp on my LC9s was so rough that wide-mouthed hollow points hung up on it a couple of times until I polished it very thoroughly. Things like that have to be dealt with before one hangs their life on the gun working perfectly every single time. If it weren't for people discussing that magazine problem here and on other forums we'd likely not know that it seems to be an issue with magazines - particularly the USA ones - and not the gun.

I'm more skeptical than most but IMHO there's not much point to having a forum if we're just going to be fan bois and accuse any newcomers with problems of having sinister motives (and I'm still trying to stretch my mind around how somebody would have something to gain from the original post - maybe I'm not more skeptical than most :lol:).

John

Gizmo42

Single-Sixer
I wouldnt say its common but not unheard of. I've also seen reports of the factory pin breaking.

I'm considering buying a TandemKross pin and see how it does. No tools for takedown and the spring slot looks quite a bit deeper.

http://www.tandemkross.com/Tool-less-Takedown-Pin-for-LCP_p_106.html

COLT_45

Single-Sixer
Well.... If were gonna go by internet ya may not buy one of those either based on some of the reports of them bending and falling out etc....goggle it....

MODS.... Just like the drug companies selling something ya don't even need and they call it preventative..... Get a grip folks..... If it ain't broke don't fix it !

George

Blackhawk
Just chuck the org. take down pin in a drill press or even a hand dril start the drill and hit the dent in the org. pin with a hack saw blade or a fine file. You need only a tad deeper so don't over cut it! Fixed done deal! George

loadedguns

Bearcat
Sent it back to Ruger and they replaced it with a LCR model 5402.Very happy with customer service!

loadedguns said:
I have this LCP for about 2 months and shooting about 30 times the slide came off. It went down range about 5 ft is this common with this gun.

Yes, it is designed that way. If you have not hit your target after 30 rounds, it does that to cause your opposites to start laughing so hard it gives you time to run away.

Latest posts