SR9c look see

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Been reading about this pistol some, so stopped by one of my LGS's this morning to do a little touchy/feely, and check prices. $429 for the 10 & 17 round mag offering, $449 for the one w/3 10rnd mags. Gary's in Columbus, MS. They usually have a Ruger sale in August, so I may wait on this to save $50.

Nice gun, but a couple things I didn't care for. The slide release, thumb safety, and mag release were very stiff and hard to operate. I suppose some decent lube and time would take care of that - like new Levi's. Don't care for the 10rnd mags - pinkie hangs off - so I'd want the 17rnd mags. Good trigger & sights and felt good in the hand with the magwell extension.

OldePhart

Blackhawk
I've only purchased one new Ruger (LC9s a few months ago) but I noticed that it was a lot more stiff with sticky gunk than other new guns I've purchased. Even the magazine was sticky, as were the spares I bought. Every S&W, Glock, and Para-Ordnance gun I've bought could really have been taken straight to the range out of the box. The LC9s was closer to the surplus SKS I bought packed in Cosmoline back in the early 80's (that's a slight exaggeration).

The good news is that with a cleaning and a couple of hundred rounds down the spout they seem to limber up pretty well. The slide release remains a bit stiff on my LC9s but I think that's intentional - intentional or not it discourages releasing the slide just by pressing the mag release and that's a good thing, IMHO. Snapping the slide back is more reliable and a good habit to get into on reloads. In fact...that might be why my slide release remains sticky even after a few hundred rounds...I basically never use it except to intentionally lock the slide open.

The first time I took the gun down to clean it I had to really horse on the take down pin to release it. Second and subsequent take downs it basically falls out after moving the gate and taking up the tension on the slide.

John

Gizmo42

Single-Sixer
Its a slide lock, not a release. Thats why its difficult. Its not really designed to operate as a release. The safety on mine eased up after a few times of flicking it on and off, mag release has never been an issue for me.

Fyrfightr

Bearcat
Did the 10 round mags have the pinky extensions on them. If not, try one with the extension. If that still does not feel right I would recommend getting the SR9 instead. The grip cover that goes over the bottom of the 17 round mag does not feel as secure and pinches your hand during quick mag changes.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Fyrfightr said:
Did the 10 round mags have the pinky extensions on them. If not, try one with the extension. If that still does not feel right I would recommend getting the SR9 instead. The grip cover that goes over the bottom of the 17 round mag does not feel as secure and pinches your hand during quick mag changes.

I noticed that about the grip cover, and asked if that "play" was normal. And yes, the 10rnd mag did have the extension, but still not quite enough for my hand. Haven't decided on it yet. He didn't have a range or rental gun I could try out, so I'll probably visit another shop and burn a few rounds thru one.

Trucker

Single-Sixer
Fyrfightr said:
The grip cover that goes over the bottom of the 17 round mag does not feel as secure and pinches your hand during quick mag changes.

That's an easy fix! REAL easy!

PiratePast40

Single-Sixer
Some have used velcro, others use pieces of electrical tape to build up the magazine until the extension stays put on the mag. Pretty simple. Heck, even I can do it! :lol:

Yawn

Blackhawk
I don't want to seem rude hear, but Velcro or tape in or around the mag well seems pretty ridiculous; especially if used to help aid in the "normal" functioning of the firearm. I am a HUGE Ruger fan... even like their safeties and mag disconnects, but that is just too much for me.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Yawn said:
I don't want to seem rude hear, but Velcro or tape in or around the mag well seems pretty ridiculous; especially if used to help aid in the "normal" functioning of the firearm. I am a HUGE Ruger fan... even like their safeties and mag disconnects, but that is just too much for me.

It's really not that big of a deal. I took black electrical tape cut into squares and applied 3 ish on top of each other. I put the tape on the forward side of the magazine (the narrow side where the rounds are pointing) Then slid the extension down over it very snuggly. That was about a year and a half ago and it hasn't moved or needed adjustment since.

It wasn't really even needed, it just took out the slight loose feeling it had.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Yawn said:
Remember this is a "compact" pistol and the 10-round magazine is just long enough to fit flush. The higher capacity and longer 17 round magazine extends below the short magazine well.

The slide-on collar for the 17 round mag that Ruger provides is there to increase comfort and is not needed for "normal" functioning. Yes, the collars are a slightly loose fit so they can be easily switched among other magazines if you have extras. That said, if you want the collar to be a snug fit, you can shim it with electrical tape or adhesive skateboard tape and it won't move at all during mag changes. It's a feature, not a bug.

Yawn

Blackhawk
Rei40c said:
Yawn said:

It's really not that big of a deal. I took black electrical tape cut into squares and applied 3 ish on top of each other. I put the tape on the forward side of the magazine (the narrow side where the rounds are pointing) Then slid the extension down over it very snuggly. That was about a year and a half ago and it hasn't moved or needed adjustment since.

It wasn't really even needed, it just took out the slight loose feeling it had.

Could that slight loose feeling affect the accuracy of your shot?

Yawn

Blackhawk
22/45 Fan said:
Yawn said:
Remember this is a "compact" pistol and the 10-round magazine is just long enough to fit flush. The higher capacity and longer 17 round magazine extends below the short magazine well.

The slide-on collar for the 17 round mag that Ruger provides is there to increase comfort and is not needed for "normal" functioning. Yes, the collars are a slightly loose fit so they can be easily switched among other magazines if you have extras. That said, if you want the collar to be a snug fit, you can shim it with electrical tape or adhesive skateboard tape and it won't move at all during mag changes. It's a feature, not a bug.

I think increased comfort and proper grip are a little different... maybe for some it is increased comfort but for some it allows proper grip. Doesn't the SR9 series have a reversible backstrap to adjust for a slightly loose grip?

wvjoetc

Single-Sixer
I have the SR9c, the gun for me is a perfect fit, it has all the features that I want in a CCW, and is incredibly accurate. The gun sells here with two mags 10-17 round for 410.00 and tax new. It is my primary CCW, during the cold months I will carry my Glock 23.

Fyrfightr

Bearcat
Trucker said:
Fyrfightr said:
The grip cover that goes over the bottom of the 17 round mag does not feel as secure and pinches your hand during quick mag changes.

I was bringing this up because my reasoning for owning any firearm is that it is a tool for me. I want it to feel right and and operate correctly. I do not want to be pulling a spare mag out of it's holster and having it feel of operate differently.

I have large hands and the grip sleeve pinches when I slap a new mag home during shooting events and training. The short mag with the pinky extension does not pinch. That's why I was asking.

If the OP truly wants a grip that is long enough for three fingers I suggest I full size SR series gun..

Gizmo42

Single-Sixer
I never could get used to the 17rd mag. I've used mine 1 or 2 times when I first bought it and havent touched it since. Just feels much better and more controllable with the 10rd for me and I have pretty large hands. But then, the short grip with the 10rd is a big reason why I bought it. If I wanted a full length grip I would have bought the full sized SR9.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Fyrfightr said:
Trucker said:
Fyrfightr said:

I was bringing this up because my reasoning for owning any firearm is that it is a tool for me. I want it to feel right and and operate correctly. I do not want to be pulling a spare mag out of it's holster and having it feel of operate differently.

I have large hands and the grip sleeve pinches when I slap a new mag home during shooting events and training. The short mag with the pinky extension does not pinch. That's why I was asking.

If the OP truly wants a grip that is long enough for three fingers I suggest I full size SR series gun..

That's not out of the running. I also notice they have a new 9e model out, that's getting some decent reviews. Lower priced. Cheaper finish, different machining on the slide, different sights, etc. http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/06/30/new-ruger-9e-low-cost-ruger-sr9/

wvjoetc

Single-Sixer
The new 9E is the basic SR9, one mag, fixed sights, different finish on the slide, but the grip is the same and 100.00 cheaper. The 17 round mag is not really a big deal for me, I put a small piece of tape on the mag and that pretty much took care of the slipping issue, I carry my ten round mag CCW and the 17 round in my truck.

Trucker

Single-Sixer
For those of you bothered by the looseness of the 17 round mag sleeve that comes with the SR9C, here's a link for a real easy and very effective fix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUXo0PXS0m4

I did it a little different. I put the velcro tape on the inside of the sleeve rather than on the mag itself. But that's just my preferred way of doing it. That way I can use the mag in the regular SR9 or SR9E since the mag itself is not modified in any way. This works really great. There is no wiggle or movement of the sleeve when inserting the mag into the gun nor when shooting. The velcro tape was laying around my shop and it was slightly narrower than the width of back of the mag. No cash outlay and it took me every bit of 10 minutes to do a neat job.

Another nice thing about this fix is that if you don't like it after you've tried it, peel off the tape and no harm's been done.