P345 Heavier Recoil Springs?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CommanderCrusty

Bearcat
Hello all.

I finally found a NIB old stock Ruger P345 .45 ACP pistol. I picked it up months ago but just haven't shot it that much. You see, I love the pistol, but it doesn't love me back! I have weak hands and the recoil hurts me. A steel 1911 doesn't hurt, but the lightweight, plastic frame, Commander size P345 hurts after only 50 rounds or so. Last time at the range, my hand was sore for a week. What to do?

Have any of you swapped out the factory 13# spring for a Wolff 15# or 19# recoil spring? I made a similar swap on my LCP. The weapon works fine. Recoil is much more manageable. I just wonder if anyone else has done the same with the big P345.

Also wondering about a lighter hammer strut spring to lighten the initial double action pull.

Your stories and feedback are most welcome.

PS
I can't suck it up, man up, stop being a wimp, or strengthen my hands. I have a neuromuscular disease and my hands just are what they are. Thanks for understanding.

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
I have used springs with +2 pounds on all my pistols except one. never been a problem. really don't notice much of a difference however.

revhigh

Hawkeye
CommanderCrusty said:
Hello all.

I finally found a NIB old stock Ruger P345 .45 ACP pistol. I picked it up months ago but just haven't shot it that much. You see, I love the pistol, but it doesn't love me back! I have weak hands and the recoil hurts me. A steel 1911 doesn't hurt, but the lightweight, plastic frame, Commander size P345 hurts after only 50 rounds or so. Last time at the range, my hand was sore for a week. What to do?

Have any of you swapped out the factory 13# spring for a Wolff 15# or 19# refills spring? I made a similar swap on my LCP. The weapon works fine. Recoil is much more manageable. I just wonder if anyone else has done the same with the big P345.

Also wondering about a lighter hammer strut spring to lighten the initial double action pull.

Your stories and feedback are most welcome.

PS
I can't suck it up, man up, stop being a wimp, or strengthen my hands. I have a neuromuscular disease and my hands just are what they are. Thanks for understanding.

I'd just shoot 9's ... why torture yourself ?

REV

ruger357

Bearcat
I like you also have strength issues in my hands after 50 rounds, 9mm -22 rimfire have there place but I enjoy 45acp and 357mag because i always have, Now I have a question for you is the recoil hard to manage after x-number of rounds, i'm looking for one in blue to go with my p-95, to answer your question i would try both springs to see what works best