SR9 barrel length

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Canucklehead

Bearcat
While investigating the import regs with the Canadian Govt for my new SR9 (in case i I buy it in the US) I discovered that it is illegal in Canada to import a handgun with a barrel length of 4.14" or less. The SR9 has a barrel length of 4.14", making it an illegal firearm in Canada. However there are SR9's in Canada. I am confused. is there a different version for us Canucks? Is the published measurement incomplete, ie is it actually 4.145"?

Signed confuddled in Canada

noquarter

Single-Sixer
I measured the bbl on my SR9, using a pencil down the bbl, marking the length, and measuring with a ruler and it is 105mm. Obviously the controlling authority is the RCMP.
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/faq/im-ex-eng.htm
I would try to find an approved list of firearms or someone who can speak authoritatively.

The last time I took a gun into Canada was in the 70's, and it was almost trivial. The Canadians wanted to see a valid hunting license and checked to see that the rifles were in a case in the trunk - have a nice trip, a.
Coming back, the US checked to see if we had any booze to declare.

I love Canada - great country with friendly people.
Good luck - I would be interested in what you find out.

OldePhart

Blackhawk
A a minimum barrel-length specification to two decimal places seems really weird, to me. It almost had to be written with an eye to either including or excluding some specific firearms. ;)

John

Canucklehead

Bearcat
Ahh that explains the confusion. Below is a quote directly copied from the CBSA (Canadian Border Services Agency) website describing a prohibited barrel length.

"handguns with barrels less than or equal to 105 mm (4.14 inches) long"

Seems they need a bit of training operating a calculator.

Canucklehead

Bearcat
Well on thinking that thru further, the reg reads that "equal to or less than 105 mm". Technically, its still a prohibited firearm according to that reg.