barrel bluing

Help Support Ruger Forum:

fast ed

Bearcat
I shot 25 rounds out of my new lc9s. All the color came off the breech of the barrel where it goes under the slide. Should this happen this soon. Is it possible the bottom of the slide is too tight?

OldePhart

Blackhawk
Can you post a picture? If "all the color" came off that sounds a little excessive but some wear there isn't unusual - especially along the edges. If there is a deep scrape down the center or something like that there may be a burr on the slide or something. Close examination might be in order. BTW, did you clean the gun before shooting it the first time? That's always a good idea with any new gun as there can be tiny bits of metal trapped in gunk.

Anyway, bluing is cosmetic (and a barrier against corrosion, of course). The real test is if the gun functions well and shoots reasonably accurately. I'd put a couple hundred rounds through - if you have no malfunctions during that time and the accuracy is decent I'd say just clean the gun after each session, put a very light coat of gun oil on the barrel to prevent rust, and live with it.

I have noticed that the bluing on my LC9s is pretty shallow all around.

John

OldePhart

Blackhawk
That's not too unusual, at least on inexpensive production pistols like the LC9s. The barrel bluing on the LC9s is really light, so it doesn't take much to rub it completely off as the parts wear in. Mine isn't quite that bad after a couple of hundred rounds but it's nothing to worry about. If you keep the gun clean and lightly lubed it won't rust or anything and it's pretty hard to avoid some wear in that location. If it really bugs you wait until the gun has a few hundred rounds through it and then touch it up with some cold blue...by then the slide and barrel may have mated a little better and the bluing might not wear as quickly.

John

fast ed

Bearcat
called and sent to ruger 1/5/15.

Received back on 1/14/15, gun has new barrel, magazine and mag release installed with pin and spring. I must say I like their customer service.

mrasgt

Bearcat
My LC9S barrel has the exact same wear as is shown in the pic. It has about 200 rounds through it.

My LC9 had the same wear on it with a similar round count.