SR9 Perplexing!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gunfan2

Bearcat
I have an SR9 that doesn't shoot a group, but rather a pattern. Can not get a single group under 8" at 20 yards. Know its not me for I have a SR40, SR45, and a 40c and 9c that will all shoot around 2" at 20 easy enough. What really perplexes me is that I noticed that the first shot after manually racking the slide it would go to the same place while the other 4 in the mag would walk all over the place. So I loaded 1 shell in the mag and manually racked the slide for 5 times each shot went into a 2.5" group at 20 yards. Can anyone give me any advice why it will perform this way under those conditions but won't on a magazine loaded with 5 rounds with it feeding itself the remaining 4!

OldePhart

Blackhawk
When you rack the slide are you "riding it home" or are you snapping it fully back and letting spring tension drive it forward? Riding it home can result in the action locking up differently than when the slide is pushed back by the spring only.

What does the feed ramp look like? The ramp on my LC9s looked like it had been cut with a chain saw (only a slight exaggeration). Normally a rough feed ramp manifests in feed failures but I suppose that combined with other factors it could affect how the round chambers under recoil.

Check the ejector and spring.

Another test would be to load only two rounds and manually rack the slide and see if they group well and if they shoot to the same POI as when the magazine is full and racked manually.

Another thing to consider, are you holding the gun at an angle when racking the slide? If so, it's possible that the angle is making something mate differently on lockup.

In any case, if the gun is under warranty I would call Ruger. If you send it back, send them targets from the gun and targets from one or two of your other guns, labeled as such, so they know that you know how to shoot...

John

Taterman

Buckeye
I'd be ecstatic with groups anywhere near 2" with my SR9. My wife shoots it much more than me though and her groups are 8"+ (offhand) at even 7 yards. She shoots in a women's shooting league dirt cheap. I haven't been able to afford range time in a year but I'd love to bench rest it some time.
One of the guys running the league (Cop and CCW instructor) shot it and thought it was fine. I think she needs more range time, but she's gotta have over 500 rounds through it by now. I'll be watching this thread for sure.

OldePhart

Blackhawk
Taterman said:
...I think she needs more range time, but she's gotta have over 500 rounds through it by now. I'll be watching this thread for sure.

People say "practice makes perfect." That's actually far from true. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

I seriously suggest getting her some time with a professional instructor...and not just anybody but one with a good reputation. Even one session with a pro can make a huge difference. Even if you are a good instructor it is often true that sometimes people don't learn well from family.

If she's put that much ammo without making significant improvement through a gun that shoots better for others then money spent on instruction would be far better spent than money for another 500 rounds of ammo...

Oh...one caveat...if that 500 rounds of ammo is some cheap crap then get her to try some decent ammo. The only thing some cheap ammo is good for is blasting a lot of cycles to limber up a new gun without spending too much dough.

John

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
I USED TO THINK MY SR9 WAS NOT AS ACCURATE AS MY OTHER FOUR SR's. WHAT I FIGURED OUT IS THAT IT IS ME. THE FACT THAT I CARRIED THE SR40 AND PUT MORE ROUNDS DOWN RANGE WITH THE 40 AND THE SR45 MEANT THAT I WAS USED TO THOSE PISTOLS AND THEIR CHARACTERISTICS MORE SO THAN THE 9. I DECIDED TO TAKE THE 9 OUT EXCLUSIVELY WITH A COUPLE HUNDRED ROUNDS AND GO BACK TO BASICS RATHER THAN JUST POP ROUNDS. TRIGGER CONTROL AND SIGHT PICTURE BECAME MY FOCUS FOR THAT SESION, WITH THE RESULTS BEING AN EYE OPENER. THE 9 IS EVERY BIT AS ACCURATE AS ANY OF THE OTHERS. THAT ALSO TAUGHT ME SOMETHING ABOUT MY SELF. THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR AN OPEN MIND AND FOCUS!

NewportNewsMike

Single-Sixer
pjvrefugee said:
.....THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR AN OPEN MIND AND FOCUS!

...except maybe some lower-case letters! :lol:

But in any font, you are correct. There is so much difference in a range session where you try to learn something and polish your skills, and one where you just blast away.

Skinnedknuckles

Bearcat
Have you experimented with different loads? I reload, and when I got my SR9 I used reloads that had worked well in my Taurus 24/7 and my LC9 and I was getting "patterns" similar to those you describe, even with using a rest. It also would barely eject the brass, where the LC9 was throwing it all over the place.

I found that my gun liked cartridges with a significantly longer overall length that just passed the "plunk" test, at which point the groups shrank about 75%! I also added a little more powder to improve ejection. After a few hundred rounds (and some polishing of the internals) it has smoothed up and now ejects the original reloads very well but still likes longer cartridges. Now I'm most accurate with the SR9 of all my 9mm handguns.

I haven't tried them, but I think cartridges with 147 grain bullets are longer and may help you, if you don't reload.

gunfan2

Bearcat
I gave up on it and shipped it back to Ruger, we'll see what happens when it comes back!

gunfan2

Bearcat
Will do! Ruger rep told me that their specs said it had to shoot 2" group at 15 yards, this one won't do that, hope it will when it gets back.

gunfan2

Bearcat
Got the SR9 back from Ruger with a letter stating that they had basically replaced the entire trigger system, along with the entire striker system. Then a little addition that said they had repaired the barrel. I didn't put too much confidence in that, until I looked at the accompanying target. Shows a 1" group shot at 15 yards with Black Hills 115 grain fmj. I had none of that ammo, but knew it was quality, had some 147 grain Hornady XTP ammo on hand, shot it at 20 yards and got about a 2" group. I am really pleased with that. I looked the barrel over and the only thing that I can see is it looks like they recut the crown on the barrel. Whatever they did, surely improved the grouping. Thought I would share with those that might be curious!