LNIB - Ruger KP90. round rattling in chamber question.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Buddy of mine recently picked up a Ruger P90 stainless.

This one is darn near perfect in every way so far as we can observe. However he nor I have had a chance to shoot it yet since he purchased it from it's original owner.

It has great slide to frame fit. Very little play. The magazine seats well and the rounds do not rattle in the mag. The trigger reset is crisp and consistent.

However, when he chambered a round, you can hear it rattling around in there.

Wouldn't have noticed it unless the rest of the gun was so tight. the round even rattles in the chamber after the magazine is removed.

What are the thoughts of some of the experts on this subject?

gb6491

Single-Sixer
Foothills of the Gila Mountains, SW Arizona.
Doesn't happen with my P90, though that might not mean anything.

Still:
Have you pulled the barrel and dropped a round into the chamber?
How's the fit? (mine has a little wiggle to it)
Have you checked the extractor for damage?
Is the extractor fully seated rearward in the slide?

Regards,
Greg

Pierow

Blackhawk
Is the chamber and ramp really shiny? If so the original owner might have polished the chamber too much and the result is the wiggle?

Pierow

Dropping a .45 ACP round into the chamber seems pretty snug (both live round and snap cap.) No problems really. Just some rattle when the round is chambered. I called Ruger and they gave me the spiel about SAAMI specs, and how the Ruger P90 was designed to function with a wide range of ammo, something about tolerances.

roylt

Hunter
Sure it is the round and not something else? Like the decock levers or something. Bet it runs fine like any other P-gun!!

spcasas3

Bearcat
Check to see if you hear the rattle with the safety on and with it off, my P95 has a little rattle but I found out it was related to the safety on or off I forget which way it was but one way it would rattle a little and one way it would not. No functioning issues though.

Scott

revhigh

Hawkeye
22/45 Fan said:
hittman said:
My guess is he was thinking the 9MM P95, not the P90.
Yeah, we really knew that but couldn't resist the temptation to point out the discrepancy. It's sort of like the guy who's said "I've cut it twice and it's still too short". :)

Good one !! Never heard that before.

REV

GhosT

Blackhawk
Yeah,
Safe bet,not BORED "down" to a .40....lol
I own and love my .40SW version...They call it a P91....lol

And DA_TriggR4Ruger,......Although this will be no help at all....
I seem to remember that same question being asked in a post....
guessing well over a decade ago...about the same gun.

A 45acp round in the barrel fit well, think ya said that.....
If memory serves,the rattle was from something in the gun's design,and effected nothing.

YUP,
No help...
But over the years,owned more than one semi-auto that would rattle if shook, even though,functioned fine.