Questions about DAO gun function.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wolfee

Blackhawk
When a double action only pistol is fired, does the firing pin (and fp spring) have to fully retract with the slide movement, and then settle back to whatever partial cock position is required?

Do DAO pistols generally need heavier recoil springs because there is less resistance applied in cocking the gun?

No good reason for asking, just don't really understand how a DAO works. Never had one.

Mike J

Hunter
I believe the recoil spring would be the same as it would for a DA/SA gun. The hammer spring (or mainspring) might be a different weight if they wanted a lighter double action pull. My understanding is it works just like a DA/SA of the same model the hammer just doesn't cock after the slide cycles.

eveled

Hawkeye
It depends if you are talking striker fired or hammer.

True DAO with a hammer is completey uncocked like a revolver would be. It has second strike capable, if there is a misfire.

A striker fired pistol like a Glock, returns to a partial cocked state, it is not really double action and has no second strike capability.

groberts

Single-Sixer
There are several possibilities that depend on the gun itself. Your question is about hammer fired guns and since this is a Ruger forum the LC9/380 come to mind. On those the slide cycles the hammer but the hammer stops just before fully coming down - it's not a half cocked like others. The recoil springs, however, are a lot lighter than the spring on my Bersa, primarily due to the action, not that it is DAO.

Meeko

Single-Sixer
I am a Lead Firearms instructor with the Federal Bureau of Prisons who's issued handgun was for a number of years a Ruger DAO. I have used the P 89 DAO, P 93 DAO and P 95 DAO. The recoil spring is the same as any other P 89. 93. 95. The hammer follows the slide all the way back forward with the slide. It does not hit the firing pin due to a block. there is no such thing as a half cock on a Ruger P series in DAO configuration.

DAO is the trigger does 2 double functions. It cocks the hammer and releases the hammer every time. All a DAO auto is, is a revolver with a magazine basically. true DAO's with hammers were popular in the late 1980's through the 1990's for those departments (usually larger ones) wanted to go to an auto only if it replicated the trigger pull of the DA revolvers. S&W, Ruger, SIG and Beretta came out with their versions. Beretta and SIG were probably 2 of the last ones (not counting the H&K versions that Customs went to). Now the only company that still makes a DAO with a hammer is SIG. Why because nobody is really buying them.

Myself being a revolver guy never had an issue with DAO autos. They are safe and not really that hard to master if one practices because they are a little different animal than the polymer wonder guns of today. We never had any AD's/UD's with them AKA Glock leg (never had that issue with DA Revolvers that I recall either for that matter) They were a little more forgiving.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Hmm, on the topic of Glock leg, I notice the trigger pull on my 26 is noticeably heavier than my 19 (both gen. 4 guns). Maybe that's a good thing since the 26 is my daily CCW and the 19 is pretty much range and home defense.

Meeko

Single-Sixer
FergusonTO35 said:
Hmm, on the topic of Glock leg, I notice the trigger pull on my 26 is noticeably heavier than my 19 (both gen. 4 guns). Maybe that's a good thing since the 26 is my daily CCW and the 19 is pretty much range and home defense.

What has been noticed is in a lot of agencies that transition from a DA type revolver or auto to Glocks there is an increase in UD/AD's whatever you want to call it. the reason is there is always that one or 2 folks that won't index their trigger finger when holstering. With a revolver or DA auto with a hammer it's a little more forgiving since the resistance of the hammer sometimes keep it from getting all the way into the firing position. (unless they forget to de cock a SIG or Beretta etc). With the Glock there is nothing to the trigger plus no hammer. Not an issue for 90% of the shooters that are trained but there is always That guy or gal.(even the Commander of the Florida HWY Patrol did it with his Glock when they transitioned from the Beretta years ago. Even though most are appointed most commanders are also seasoned veterans and should know better)