worst semi-auto experience?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Al James

Hunter
I'm with you. I would guess it was not a literal comment. More tongue and cheek...He doesn't like the ergos of the HK or Sig. And the worst he could think of Ergonomically was the Hi-point. Just a thought.

rugerguy211

Single-Sixer
Beretta TomCat .32ACP.
At the range, during cycle after a shot was fired, the left side recoil spring and plunger literally fell out.
Factory ammo, stadard 71gr stuff, nothing hot.
I put it back together and dry fired with used case in the chamber. After every 2 or 3 shots the spring popped out again.
Sent it to Beretta.
They claimed to have done nothing other than put it back together.
They fired 50 rounds through it with no issues. It's been fine ever since.
Research indicated that the left side grip MUST be tight, or the spring can slip out of place.
So before it goes to the range, or on my hip, I check that grip.

toshtech

Bearcat
My only bad experience worked itself out. Bought a Walther PPK/S S&W model about 7 years back. It had at least one feed/eject failure per mag. Read on the Walther forum that the PPK/S needs to be broken in. After around 500 or so rounds the problems went away. Haven't had a single failure in the last 5 years.

black029

Single-Sixer
An early Ruger P345. It basically FTeverything. Actually had a chambered round, stripped from the magazine, and the trigger was wagging back and forth like there was no reset.
Returned it to dealer for full value on another gun (don't remember what, it was 9 years ago), and he sent it back to Ruger.

loaded round

Hunter
Black: I'm surprised you had problems with P345. I own one and have put, at last count, over 600 rounds of hard ball through it w/o any problems whatsoever. It is my nightstand pistol, and has been for the past 2 years.

hittman

Staff member
AMT Backup in .45ACP. Tried everything myself and 2 qualified professional gunsmiths knew to make it work. Only two things reliable about it were: 1. you could fire two rounds and 2. then it'd FTF, FTE, stove pipe .... you name it, it had the problem.

On the other hand, the AMT Backup in 22LR was a wonderful little gun 'cept for the fact that you can't find spare mags for it.

Tinman931

Single-Sixer
My dad somehow acquired a Jennings .25. That thing jammed so much I think it was actually a single shot. He tried to give it to me. I politely declined.

You reminded me. I had a Raven .25 that ran great. Like a watch. But a long time ago before that, I had an unknown Czech made Browning clone .25 that could never cycle more than either 2 or 3 rounds. Tweaked the magazines. Tweaked the extractor, tweaked the ejector, nothing worked. I almost forgot about that gun...

Tinman931

Single-Sixer
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
You reminded me. I had a Raven .25 that ran great. Like a watch. But a long time ago before that, I had an unknown Czech made Browning clone .25 that could never cycle more than either 2 or 3 rounds. Tweaked the magazines. Tweaked the extractor, tweaked the ejector, nothing worked. I almost forgot about that gun...
Yep...you can tweak a turd all you like, but at the end of the day it's still a turd.

Never regretted turning that one down, although it might have made an interesting paperweight.

Justice B. Swift

Single-Sixer
I once owned a "Remington Rand" WWII re-issue 1911 with all the correct stampings, Proof marks etc... It had some collector value to be sure. All of my guns are "shooters' so I was at the range shooting, when the front sight blade simply went AWOL. I took the gun to a "reputable" gun shop near my home for a replacement original sight. When I went to pick it up they had installed an aftermarket target sight which required drilling holes through the slide to "stake" the posts from inside the slide. I nearly S**t myself right on the spot. The slide is now junk from a collector/value standpoint. On top of rendering my gun to the "just another .45" pile, this sight they installed wasn't even the correct height for the rear sight, and caused the gun to hit 12" from point of aim at 25 yrds. I won't even get into the "song & dance" I got from the shop. Suffice it to say, I don't darken their doorstep these days.
-Just B.S.-

dakota1911

Buckeye
Years ago I bought a Cobra Patriot 45 new for $149. I was curious. It is a true DAO striker fired pistol built in Utah. The trigger pull was about 25 lbs out of the box. It is supposed to take 1911 mags. Have not found one it takes. After shooting it a bit it totally jammed up. On tearing down the striker I found what looked like little lathe turnings in there. Cleaned it up and put it back together and now the trigger pull is only 20 lbs. Not one of my favorite pistols and it is in the back or bottom of a safe somewhere.

Al James

Hunter
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
The Patriot 45...maybe it was supposed to be on par with the liberator 45.

I used to always want a Liberator "just because". But with the prices they are bringing now I would really have to "want" one for more than just a paper weight/conversation piece. That's a few Sigs DA_!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=460816812

Cholo

Staff member
A Galesi Brescia .25 ACP. I bought it from a friend back in '75 or so for $25 with full disclosure--it was a one or 2 shot gun before it jammed. He was right. I shot it into a pine 2x4 and the bullet didn't penetrate. In fact, I could wiggle it out with my fingers. My Ruger .22 Single Six ( see avatar) could penetrate the board with shorts. I sold it to my black friend, Henry H, for $30, with full disclosure...