Fav. and Least fav. semi-auto pistol calibers?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sorry, but over the years I have pretty much established that I like the old .45 Colt best for my current lifestyle. This involves essentially "backyard" shooting at relatively short ranges. I settled on a 250-grain lead bullet over eight grains of Unique (or similar Green Dot charge). Nice boom, rewarding but not punishing recoil, and as accurate as I require. Favorite piece . . . OM Blackhawk in 7-1/2" length.

I have a few other standard revolver chamberings that get shot occasionally, but the Colt round gets 90% of my attention.

Don't do much semi-auto work, but have .45ACP and 9mm thingies. Just hate to have to chase the brass, although that's a pretty feeble excuse. Favorite piece? Tossup between 1943 Rem-Rand and 1967 Hi-Power.

And .22s in all the basic configurations . . . fun and relatively inexpensive.

I don't actually have any least favorites because I haven't tried everything available, and I really don't see the point in making that judgement.

Good thread here.

:mrgreen:

loaded round

Hunter
I have several favorites and my most favorite is the 45 ACP in both a SR1911 and a Sig P227. HOWEVER, I have two colt Delta Elites in 10MM, so that round also makes a statement.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Free brass is a huge reason in favor of 9mm or .40 S&W. As much as I love my .32 Auto I don't shoot it that much because my Kel-Tec flings them pretty far and its not cheap even as mixed head stamp range brass.

GhosT

Blackhawk
My favorites are easy.

2 favorite center-fires are the 9mm and the .40SW.
My Ruger P95 9mm, love, and my Ruger P91 .40SW... my most trusted....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now,here is the thing.....
I have (and always had) total respect for the .45acp round, .........
BUT,countless times I have been ragged on for not adding the .45acp to that list.

Fired many a 45 over the years.......
In the 80's ,dropped over 800 bucks on a highly customized .45acp...
This round, in any gun I shot it out of, hated me!.....
Safest place.....where I was aiming! LOL
So,a very effective round, that I just can't shoot well.......;)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
One round I wish woulda took off....

.38 SUPER!
Bought a COLT Combat commander in 1981 (my first semi-auto)
More powerful than a 9mm,that COLT was a gun,any of you would love to own.
But back then, only one, not efficient hollow point design.
It drilled through, instead of stopping power.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only round not a fan of,yet never owned.........the .25 auto.
That round...IMHO...total joke.

Early 90's, knew a guy, NOT A FRIEND ,that got shot 4 times with one.---Basic bar fight went bad.
Round one pierced his ear.
Round two went into his wrist,yet effected nothing.
Next two rounds,body shots.
Penetrated less than 2"....
He actually took that gun,and beat the guy that shot him with it bloody.

Give me a .22 long rifle round any day.

OldePhart

Blackhawk
@GhosT - main reason the .38 super never really took off was that it was a pretty big liability as it had the same dimensions as the earlier (and mostly defunct) .38 ACP and could be chambered in those guns. That's why there weren't many factory cartridges for it and, of course, relative scarcity of commercial ammo pretty much assures the "failure" of the guns chambered for it. I don't think .38 super ever gained much popularity outside of IPSC competition where the availability to "make major" from a low recoiling cartridge (especially one at high velocity that worked well with muzzle compensators) was regarded as a worthwhile advantage.

John

gjgalligan

Single-Sixer
Wheelies:.22, .327mag, .38spl, .357mag, .44mag

semi:.22, .380, 9mm, .40s&w
All are a "favorite".
Really, too many calibers! I have never desired to have a .45, just don't understand the hype.

GhosT

Blackhawk
OldePhart/ John,

Thanks for the info.
Love when a member teaches me something new.

If memory serves......Back in 1981,when I bought that Colt Combat commander in .38 Super......
That was a popular round in MEXICO,because illegal to buy 9mm or .45acp's then.

Still,
Even though had to save up cash cause slightly more expensive ammo..........
It was my first SEMI-AUTO handgun,accurate ,and 100 % reliable.

Ya never forget yer first ! :lol:

Justice B. Swift

Single-Sixer
I realize this is a "semi-auto" thread, but I'm going to color outside the lines a little here. I cut my teeth shooting .38 specials from a .357 Blackhawk, with .357 mag loads periodically shot. I had many accurate loads and many great outings with this combo. Always a good choice.
Later, I began competing in "Cowboy Action" at which point I adopted the .45 colt for it's historic authenticity. I soon learned that the .45 LC is very versatile and can cover many duties pretty darn well. I love all things .45. My Cowboy guns have .45 ACP cylinders too, so just that much more fun. I often shoot the Schofield cases, which eject easier and fit more rounds in my rifles. I've owned some 1911's, but I'm a revolver guy at heart.
More in keeping with the "semi-auto" theme, I have adopted a compact / hi-capacity 9mm as my carry gun. In the area that I archery hunt a man was recently pursued by a pack of wolves, which caused me to choose more rounds of 9mm over fewer rounds of .45 ACP. Because multiple targets may require more rounds, and because I felt this out-weighed the need for the power level of the .45, I opted for the smaller 9mm based on rounds available. I do consider the 9mm as the minimum I want stake my future on. JMHO.
-Just. B.S.-

Latest posts