accuracy of semi autos

Help Support Ruger Forum:

5of7

Hunter
I have never had a semi auto center-fire handgun that would shoot as well as a revolver that was in the same price range. Admittedly I have not owned a great number of center-fire semi auto handguns to choose from, but all in all I think the number would be less than a dozen, while I have owned hundreds of revolvers.

So, Now that I have decided to carry an LCPs for PD (even though it is not as accurate as the 642 that I retired), I am taking another look at semi autos for casual bulls eye shooting.

So, if you will patronize me, what are the more accurate semi autos out there that might fill the bill for under a grand? The 9MM would be my first choice of calibers because of the availability of cheap brass, (losing brass in the grass is one of the reasons I have shied away from semi autos in the first place).

Thanks for any thoughts on this.... 8)

Al James

Hunter
In my experience Sig 229, Glock 17L or 34, CZ75 variants, 1911 9mm's, have all shot well. Not Sig 210 "well" but the 210 is just a tad north of 1K. :shock:

TRanger

Blackhawk
The most accurate service-type semi autos I have found are the SIG-Sauer classic series of pistols. Though not designed for bullseye shooting, they are the only ones I have found that consistently shoot as accurately as most revolvers.
If you look around, you might locate a Smith&Wesson Model 52 in your price range.

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
don't rule out an SR9. mine will out shoot me every time. surprisingly good for the money. however that said, it is hard to beat a Sig.

websterz

Single-Sixer
You won't beat the SR9 for the price. Mine is more accurate than I am capable of really appreciating. :)

Bullzaye

Bearcat
I would agree with the CZ-75 or CZ-85, and of course the Sigs are nice as well. The Browning HP is also another contender. My favorite 9mm semi-auto is the H&K P7. Unfortunately, most of these run well north of $1K, but you might locate a nice P7 PSP for under $1K. One other thing, though...if you envision firing long strings through these, the P7s can get hot on the underside, where the gas cylinder is...which can be warm-ish on your trigger finger.

The Walther P-5 and P-88 are also exceptionally accurate 9mm SAs, but I doubt you can find any for under a grand.

Tim

Osage

Bearcat
O.K. here is my bias, Tim's reference to the P5 is in fact dead on accurate. To me the prime criteria for a firearm is "accuracy", followed by features along with fit and feel, otherwise I have very low interest. Over the years I have owned many different handguns in most available calibers, however to me 9x19mm is the optimum performance cartridge. Agreed the P5 is rather expensive and does not rank highest in certain features, it only has a 8 round mag and pitiful mag release, but it is 100% deadly accurate.

Actually the all metal Special Edition Ruger P89T has all the right features; i.e., extremely dependable, nice mag release, 15 round cap and reasonably priced, unfortunately it has a long creepy trigger pull, which I have not yet mastered.

As you may conclude, I also prefer DA/SA all metal firearms, with an exposed hammer, decocker, short reset, no travel, trigger pull, unfortunately I have not found that ultimate "super gun". But until then the P5 is the goto gun.

Osage

Mike J

Hunter
5of7 said:
Thanks guys, there are some good choices here.

How about the Beretta 92? 8)

Some years ago I got to shoot one. I met a Rugerforum member that was here on business (ArmedInAz) & I believe we shot every 9mm rental gun they had. The Beretta was nice but the nicest thing I got to shoot that night was an HK. I believe it was a USP.

If you wanted to get into a Beretta inexpensively there are Italian police trade in 92S models around now for around $289 depending on who you buy from. The mag release is in a different place (European style) & they take a different magazine than later models but from what I understand you can still get magazines. Here is a link http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/beretta-92s-italian-police-trade-in-s-9mm.html

websterz

Single-Sixer
I think they mean "accessory rail". That's the picatiny rail under the dust cover for mounting a light or laser. Or a bayonet if you are so inclined. :)

wixedmords

Blackhawk
My Beretta 92 and 96 are extremely accurate. The 96 even a little more than the 92.

It is funny how you roll the clock back to 1990 and how much talk there was out there about the Beretta, and now, not so much.

revhigh

Hawkeye
If you want honest, PROVEABLE and repeatable accuracy ... There's two main brands to consider ... Sig ... And CZ .... Both in the $500-600 range ... CZ new (CZ75 variants) And Sig used (P226's/P228's) in that range. Even some of the plastic Sigs are exceptional, although ... Like Cheese ... I don't care for most plastic guns.

Forget most Rugers if you want serious accuracy, especially the P series ... Except for the excellent P90 of course, And that doesn't include any of the 'they shoot better than me' crowd. If a gun shoots better than you ... and it's a Ruger center fire auto ... You're not saying much about your shooting ... Sorry ... But unfortunately that's the truth. The triggers don't help the cause much either, and they're worse on the SR series than on the P series, at least the early SR's.

Good looking ? Yup. Built like a tank ? Yup. Cheap ? Yup. Reliable ? Mostly. Real accurate ? Not so much.

REV

5of7

Hunter
websterz said:
I think they mean "accessory rail". That's the picatiny rail under the dust cover for mounting a light or laser. Or a bayonet if you are so inclined. :)

Thanks. I kept seeing "accyrail" and misinterpreted what it meant. As I said before, I have never been into semi autos to any extent until recently. 8)

22/45 Fan

Hunter
revhigh said:
I The triggers don't help the cause much either, and they're worse on the SR series than on the P series, at least the early SR's.
I agree the SR triggers aren't great but having had both an early SR9 and a very recent SR9 and a cross section of P-95's and 89's I found the SR triggers better and more controllable than any of the P-series, even when fired in single action mode.

BTW, yes the CZ's are inherently accurate but their factory triggers need some work. Even in single action they tend to cam the hammer back slightly before breaking. A trip to a knowledgable gunsmith is a worthwhile investment for them.

To the OP: see if you can find a decent quality 9 mm 1911 in your price range. The Springfield Range Master in 9 mm is about a grand MSRP and the street price is a good bit less.

revhigh

Hawkeye
I think it's the Range OFFICER.

The stock CZ75 trigger is worlds better than either the P or SR guns. Agreed its not a 1911 trigger.

REV

Yawn

Blackhawk
revhigh said:
I think it's the Range OFFICER.

The stock CZ75 trigger is worlds better than either the P or SR guns. Agreed its not a 1911 trigger.

REV

How does a Glock compare in this accuracy discussion?

revhigh

Hawkeye
Not well against Sigs and CZ's.

Better than Rugers though

REV

5of7

Hunter
I am looking at the CZ 75-B Omega 16 shot full sized gun.

Would that be an accurate CZ? Or would I have to spend more money.... 8)