SR9C New Owner

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TRUE2OU

Bearcat
I grew up hunting with rifles and shotguns, but I am new to pistol ownership. I narrowed my choices down to the SR9C, M&P9C and the Springfield XDS. CC is obviously part of the equation here.
After handling all of them, the Ruger just felt right in my hands. I've had it for about 3 weeks now and have put numerous rounds through it as I get to know it, even took some private lessons.
I love this gun. Might have loved the other 2 as well, but I'll never know. If you're here researching guns and wondering about the Ruger, I have no regrets about my decision. Handles beautifully, no misfires, jams, minimal recoil. Incredibly easy to field strip and clean and numerous safety features.
Fits beautifully in my CC waistband holster, especially with the smaller 10 round mag.

Al James

Hunter
Welcome to the Ruger forum! As you and many others have discovered....the SR9c is a great little pistol! They are accurate, reliable and very ergonomic. I always recommend them to people who want a good SA carry gun without spending more than $400. I have actually been impressed with the entire SR series.

Now if they would only introduce that SR45c I have been dreaming about.....

planetcat

Single-Sixer
Congrats on a great pistol. I've had mine for over three years now, and it shoots great every time I pull the trigger. You will enjoy it for many years. A very comfortable to shoot compact.

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
I've had my SR9c since Feb. 2010. I've put more rounds through this gun than any of my other firearms essentially because it shoots extremely accurate, great trigger and ergonomics, and fun factor. It's been 100% flawless from day one.

You made Avery wise choice and will enjoy the gun for many years.

BannockburnBill

Bearcat
I am brand new to this list and I just purchased an SR9c and have not fired it yet. In fact, I have not fired a handgun in over 40 years. This weekend I am taking a 2-day CC class in a Chicago suburb -- required by IL law. (I have the Illinois FOID.) Really looking forward to it. Has anyone seen the YouTube video by Ron Carpenter in which he polishes the small tab (I think on the trigger bar) that engages the lug on the striker, as well as the face of the striker lug that is engaged. He also lightly puffs some graphite powder on the trigger pieces that can or do rub other metal or the gun body. Note he does all this with a simple field strip, noting that he is not a gunsmith. I will see if I can give you the URL here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU2N-_s6kfs
Any of you more experienced people have any thoughts about this or anything else that might help me with my new gun would be greatly appreciated.

Al James

Hunter
BannockburnBill said:
I am brand new to this list and I just purchased an SR9c and have not fired it yet. In fact, I have not fired a handgun in over 40 years. This weekend I am taking a 2-day CC class in a Chicago suburb -- required by IL law. (I have the Illinois FOID.) Really looking forward to it. Has anyone seen the YouTube video by Ron Carpenter in which he polishes the small tab (I think on the trigger bar) that engages the lug on the striker, as well as the face of the striker lug that is engaged. He also lightly puffs some graphite powder on the trigger pieces that can or do rub other metal or the gun body. Note he does all this with a simple field strip, noting that he is not a gunsmith. I will see if I can give you the URL here:
Any of you more experienced people have any thoughts about this or anything else that might help me with my new gun would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome from Oregon! Lots of good people and info here. Lots here like to tinker with their pistols. I would recommend shooting it for a while first, say 500 rounds or so. Then you can decide if you need it modified in anyway. In the meantime you can research the legal pros and cons of modifying a CHL weapon. There are people on both sides of the argument and a little reading will help you determine which side of the argument that you reside. Great choice in a carry gun BTW!

BannockburnBill

Bearcat
As I mull it over, I think that is sage advice, Al. No sense in 'fixing' it if I decide it doesn't need fixing. Yes, I am hoping I have lucked out on the decision for an SR9c. I saw a lot of good things on the Internet about it. Then I went to a retail store and saw how it felt in my hand. Then I went ahead and bought it. Unfortunately, the store didn't offer a penny off suggested retail, so I couldn't justify buying it there. Got it for about $120 less. Anyhow, thanks, Al.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
Count me in, I am very impressed with both the SR9c and the SR40c! Remarkable reduction in recoil makes the 40SW very mild and the 9mm is even more mild. I really like the thumb safety, which looks like the CZ82 thumb safety. It is low profile, positive and won't be brushed on or off, yet it is easy to manipulate. This pistol is such a success that it really does away for the need of a custom carry gun.

jeffmb

Single-Sixer
You made a wise choice. I bought an SR9C a little while ago and will CC it as soon as I take the class. It feels great in my hand and shoots extremely accurately. Have yet to have any sort of FTF or FTE issue. I got the stainless and it looks awesome too! In my opinion, for the price point you can not beat it.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Hmm. Related thread here about ammo for this puppy y'all might want to take a peek at : http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=216052

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
BannockburnBill said:

I'm not a big fan of graphite, although I've used a few times. I'd recommend Hornady One Shot instead. Dries to a thin slick film that won't attract crud, and provides excellent corrosion control, which graphite won't do. Here's a test of many lubes including FrogLube, Hornady, and a couple dozen others. http://ronkulas.proboards.com/thread/274/review-comparison-gun-care-products

PS: I use One-Shot on all my guns - SA, Revolvers, Rifles & Shotguns. Great stuff.

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
my daughter got me hooked on the SR series several years ago. showed her S&W, XD, Glock, Sig, etc and she said what is this one? may I try it? we were both hooked. dollar for dollar might be the best value in the industry. I see no advantage to spending big bucks, and get no more gun! now my Kimber, S&W and XD's all sit in my safe.