Is the LC9s trigger too light?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Trooper Joe

Single-Sixer
Went to the range yesterday with 4 handguns (newer LCP, new S&W Bodyguard, Springfield XDs 9mm, and my two month old LC9s).

After shooting the first three (mainly function tests with new ammo), I shot the LC9s. This of course, as reported and as I have experienced, has a very light, smooth trigger. So light however, that it is not unusual for me to "dump" and unexpected shot when shooting it.

I even wondered if it really has a traditional striker assembly or possibly a trigger firing pin assembly similar to the old style auto pistols with just a trigger, sear and firing pin system.

After a lot of research, I believe it is at least reported to have an actual striker system where the trigger pull still finally cocks the striker before it is released.

I don't want Ruger to go crazy over this issue (you know, everyone gripped about the LC9 horrible trigger pull and now after making the LC9s there is a concern if it is too light). I am just throwing this out for some honest comments on my observations.

I for one will always use the safety system on this handgun due to the light trigger assembly.

Really love this gun and it has truly become my EDC. I feel that it just needs regular range time to avoid any potential ADCs.

Thanks ahead of time for any comments.

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
Not to sound overly critical,but ADCs are clearly user error. The trigger on the LC9s is very good......learn how to use it properly and it will not be an issue; rather it will be the fine trigger it is!

Skooger

Bearcat
buckshotshorty said:
Not to sound overly critical,but ADCs are clearly user error. The trigger on the LC9s is very good......learn how to use it properly and it will not be an issue; rather it will be the fine trigger it is!

I too would ocassionally have this same issue. Your answer is very valid. Thanks.

Trucker

Single-Sixer
Trooper Joe said:
So light however, that it is not unusual for me to "dump" and unexpected shot when shooting it.

Bart has it right. The gun doesn't accidentally fire. I own the LC9S and I've fired over 700 rounds downrange without one incident such as you describe. The very first time I picked up LC9S in a Gun Store and tried the trigger I did dry fire first time before I thought it was about to fire which was my fault due to the experience I had with the original LC9 which I did also own. The trigger on the LC9S is so much smoother and lighter it caught me by surpise ... WHICH IS PRECISELY WHY I WAS DRY FIRING IN THE FIRST PLACE! The trigger is smoooooth and light .... but an accidental discharge is not the fault of the gun. Most professional target shooters' guns have triggers a lot lighter than the factory stock LC9S does.

I agree 100% with the use of the safety with the LC9S!! As I also do with the LC9C! I would not be carrying either of those with the safety off ... UNDER NORMAL CONDITIONS. I have been in a few situations where I flipped the safety off for a short period of time. But when the air cleared the safety was placed on again. I've said this before and I'll say it again ...

I once owned a Glock 40 caliber. Great gun!! I didn't own it but a month or two. The main reason I got rid of it ... NO SAFETY!! I've read all the arguments and listened to all the experts ... I'll carry a gun that give me the safety option. It's my money, my life, and thus my choice .. thank you.

Trooper Joe

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the quick replies guys.

As I mentioned in the last part of my original post, "Really love this gun and it has truly become my EDC. I feel that it just needs regular range time to avoid any potential ADCs.".

I agree that an ADC is not the fault of the gun. As I mentioned, I shot three other guns prior to shooting my LC9s at that range session. The heaviest trigger pull was my new Springfield XDs 9mm. It takes some real concentration to shoot the XDs then switch to the LC9s during the same range session.

I also love this new trigger assembly on my LC9s. I just wanted to make sure that everyone was experiencing the very light trigger pull as I am. [PS: Don't change it RUGER. I love it].

I am also a semi Glock guy. You folks probably have a lot of heart ache with the NYPD 12 pound trigger pull they insist on.

Gizmo42

Single-Sixer
I get that same issue sometimes when at the range with several guns. Especially if they have heavy pulls like the LCP then I switch to one with a really light pull. If I just have the one or they have similar triggers its not an issue. I like to have different triggers sometimes when practicing just keep alert when changing. Most of the time I will just use whatever I'm carrying though.

groberts

Single-Sixer
I'm not trying to pick on you Trooper Joe but sometimes I think people just have to have something they can dick around with and make better. :p

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
Several months ago, I talked to a local LEO who had just retired. He related a couple of stories and then told me that in 26 years as a full time LEO, he was only involved in one shooting. He went to a lot of very rough places during those years. What impressed me was the fact that he had only one shooting in 26 years! As a civilian, I am careful where I go, alert to my surroundings and of conscious of gun safety at all times. I am more worried about the risk of an AD or ND over a criminal encounter, although both threats do exist. A striker weapon with a light trigger pull and no external safety requires extra handling for concealed carry. This readily apparent during an IDPA match where participants often get help from the range officer re-holstering their Glock when parts of clothing sometime jump in the holster as the gun is being re-holstered. With some thought and a proper holster, the Glock is quite safe to carry IMO. I like to use a Don Hume clip 715 or a kydex clip holster which can be removed from the belt if I want to holster the weapon in front of me and then replace the holster and gun as a single unit. Also, just really convenient if you go to places where you must remove your firearm. All of the gun handling can be done while the weapon is secure in the holster. http://grabagun.com/d-hume-h715-m-36-1-glock-26-27-bn-rh.html

Still I feel more comfortable with the Sig type of double/single action or a pistol with a external safety thumb or grip safety. Thus the thumb safety of the LC9s seems like a really good idea. Some of the holster makers are molding their LC9s holsters to accommodate the LC9s with the safety in the "ON" position and this seems to be a prudent(although not essential) idea to me. You can check it out or contact the makers at RKBA or Kestrel Holsters.

OldePhart

Blackhawk
No way it's too light...it's pretty typical for a striker-fired gun, maybe slightly lighter than some and smoother than many. In fact, I picked the LC9s from all of the available guns precisely because the trigger is so similar in feel to the Glocks with which I have pretty extensive experience. In fact, my LC9s trigger feels very much like the Glocks I've owned after working the trigger mechanisms on the latter (Glocks aren't always real smooth from the factory).

As for the thumb safety - I consider it a plus but mostly because I ride a motorcycle - if I get punted off the bike by an SUV the safety is one more thing preventing an AD if I'm sliding along the pavement and the gun has been pulled from the holster . Otherwise, though, striker-fired guns without a manual safety are fine - you just have to know your tools. Any time you are holstering a striker fired weapon you should have your index and second fingers fully covering the outside of the trigger guard to guide any interfering items (windbreaker chords, shirt material, etc.) away from the trigger. Once the weapon is secured in a properly designed holster (carry holsters for striker-fired sidearms MUST cover the full trigger guard) there is no chance of it firing accidentally.