lc9s magazine issue

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Even steven

Bearcat
Just caught this after having issue in past with 7 round, 1st gen. Lc9. The U.S. mag is tight fit and is scored from release notch to top from release catch . Got out flashlight and compared Italian vs. usa mag.....italian is pure stamped steel with what appears true bluing. The U.S. Version looks like it was tumbled in a media which has ' smoothed' the notch, which may assist in unintentional release. Can't determine type of coating, whether maybe a powder coat, or bluing. I think, since I was going to order a couple, that I will seek out Italian mags.

OldePhart

Blackhawk
@Even Steven - I think I mentioned earlier in this thread that after I trimmed the backing on my IWB holster it "solved" this problem for me. This week I noticed the problem was "back". I thought maybe I'd gained a few pounds over the holidays and it was making the IWB holster push harder. But... I have the one USA made mag that came with the gun and 2 Italian ones. I had emptied all my mags this week and marked them so I could put them in rotation for even spring wear and it is #1 - the USA made one - that seems to have the issue. Guess I will use the USA one only as the spare carry (safe enough since it only pops out in the holster, never when in use).

The only time mine pops since I trimmed the holster is when I twist to get out of the car. I actually hear it click, most times.

John

jadek44

Single-Sixer
Virginia Boy said:
I have a Pachmayr grip sleeve on my LC9s, which keeps the mag. release
button from being pushed in, when being carried in a pants pocket, in a
DeSantis Nemesis holster.
It also makes it more pleasant to shoot, it does make the grip a little thicker
but not excessively so.
Not wanting to hi-jack, Which Pachmayr sleeve? I bought the small Houge and it's a no go. Thanks

OldePhart

Blackhawk
Well...I decided to start shooting with a local IDPA affiliated club so went looking for more magazines. Couldn't remember where I got the Italian made ones that I bought online but nobody seemed to have them now. Went to Cabela's and they had a mix of Italian- and USA-made mags hanging on the display. It broke my widdle heart to pay Cabela's price but at least I was able to sort through and pick up a couple of Italian ones.

John

OldePhart

Blackhawk
@Even Steven - I spent some time comparing magazines today under a strong light and using a 3.5x magnifying hood. It looks like the USA mag may have been stamped with old tooling or something. The Italian ones all look "undercut" on the inside, leaving a thin crisp edge and making the metal actually look thinner even though it isn't. The USA one looks thicker (even though it isn't) and maybe even tapered toward the outside. The shape of the "back" of the notch is also rounded and kind of overcut on the USA mag.

Next I tested Italian mags against the US one to see how far down the mag release had to be pressed before they would release. All mags were full. At first it looked like there was no difference, then suddenly the USA mag released noticeably earlier a couple of times in a row. I finally was able to narrow it down to the USA mag releasing early if one was pushing the release toward the back strap as it was being pressed in. With all four Italian mags it didn't matter how much you "rock" the release side to side or front to back, it still had to be pressed to the point where the top of the serration adjacent to the border between the smooth and textured part of the grip sank even with the grip before the magazine released. The USA made magazine would sometimes release when that serration was visibly higher but seemingly only if it the release was being pressed rearward. When I find my jeweler's files I think I am going to try to straighten up that edge on the notch in the USA mag and test it again.

The "under cut" on the Italian ones is noticeable on other edges, too, not just the notch for the release. The bluing is much, much better on the Italian ones, too. Makes me kind of sad.

John

g29andy

Bearcat
mysquishy is correct. I did similar fix to my USA mags, although I simply used a screwdriver to pry out the upper lip on the mag, rather than drilling holes from the opposite side. No problems with my modified USA mags.