Sig 938 vs. LC9s

Help Support Ruger Forum:

roylt

Hunter
I was thinking about something smaller for carry. Want 9mm. Friend has Sig 938 but it is just too snappy for me. Don't like it. I'm a P-nut and shoot all the P-series and I have a Glock 17 I'm pretty good with.

What do you guys think? Would I like the LC9s or will it be snappy too?

Also would like to try a Glock 19 but heard it is just like the 17 basically.

Input please. Not afraid to look at other options too but keep in mind I'm cheap / poor. I can get a new LC9s for 370 in hand.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
ANY small, light 9 mm is going to be "snappy". It's basic physics and there is no way around it. I have a Kahr PM9 and it's in the same league for weight, size and recoil. None of them are shoot-all-day range guns.

The Glock 19 is a slightly reduced size G17 and is in a different category from the LC9, 938, etc. It is larger, heavier and has a larger grip so it is much more comfortable to shoot.

You can have small and light and powerful or you can have comfortable to shoot but not at the same time.

roylt

Hunter
True but there are differences. I have shot a PM9 and then a 938 and they are not the same. The sig was slightly less snappy. I figure it was due to the recoil spring setup in each.

I guess I'm asking has anyone sampled several small pistols and found one to be more forgiving than others. I don't know anyone with a LC9s to try out.

wvjoetc

Single-Sixer
roylt,
I like my LC9s, I've had it since July and I rotate it out with my SR9c as my every day carry. I carried a Glock 26, I really tried to like my Glock but I couldn't shoot it worth a flip. The SR9c is another story! Regards,
Joe

I have shot p938s. A lot of them. The recoil isn't bad. I'm currently in the market for an AR10. But I feel the P938 is the next gun for my carry rotation.

I had posted on here couple months ago about ppossibly getting one. Just haven't done it yet. Tgis thread has revived my interest.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
roylt said:
I was thinking about something smaller for carry. Want 9mm. Friend has Sig 938 but it is just too snappy for me. Don't like it. I'm a P-nut and shoot all the P-series and I have a Glock 17 I'm pretty good with.

What do you guys think? Would I like the LC9s or will it be snappy too?

Also would like to try a Glock 19 but heard it is just like the 17 basically.

Input please. Not afraid to look at other options too but keep in mind I'm cheap / poor. I can get a new LC9s for 370 in hand.

Try the Glock 26 would be my advice. I know it sounds like maybe not a very interesting choice and a common answer but it has excellent recoil characteristics and accuracy. I think the LC9s would be the winner if you need something extremely slim. But I have zero experience with that gun so I can't say much about the LC9s. I've shot the old LC9 tons but by all accounts the LC9s is a different gun now literally because of the striker, but also figuratively because of the new trigger feel which is said to be outstanding.

ulflyer

Bearcat
I don't like and can't stand sharp recoil. Soft, tender hands. My Ruger LCR 38spl has snappy recoil that's tolerable, but only for shooting 15-20 rounds thru. Recently got a G42; recoil negligible, accuracy crap due to typical Glock trigger. Friend came down with an LC9s, I ran a couple mags thru and couldn't believe the soft recoil and VERY LIGHT trigger; almost too light. Traded G42 for LC9s; 3 boxes thru, no hand hurting, very decent accuracy, other than I'm shooting low. I'll fix that soon. I use an OWB holster and it carrys well, but obviously not light like the G42 which I could carry and forget it was even there.
Not so with the LC9s but I'm getting used to it.

Never shot the S&W Shield but everything I've read says its even softer recoil than the Ruger. Trigger more like a Glock tho, and that dissuaded me from getting one.

More confusion. The LC9S weighs 17.20 oz. with empty magazine. It's frame and grips are glass-filled nylon.
The Sig P938 weighs 16.0 oz. w/o magazine. It has a steel frame and wood grips. The SIG should shoot as a heavier pistol than the LCP (less "snappy"). I know the Sig P238 is a nice shooting pistol. Haven't shot the P938.

I'm tempted by the LC9S. If I had the bucks though, I'd get the P938. Can't speak for the S&W or Glocks.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
Steve, I think that the P938 has an aluminum alloy frame not steel and that helps with the low weight. A nice lady at the range let me shoot her 938 and it was a very good shooter. It had a heavy trigger with almost no over travel past the break point, which made the gun quite accurate. Also, I was surprised by the mild recoil. Given that the pistol is not a range gun, it still possible to practice in relative comfort. The only down side is that the thumb safety pinched my hand. I would have to try different configurations at the LGS to see if the different grips make a difference.

That explains the inconsistency in the relative weight, MountainWalker. Any small pistol is not going to be a happy range gun experience for long. Even my LCR .38 Spl +P, although accurate and tolerable with original Hogue grips, is no fun beyond a box of 50 rounds.

5of7

Hunter
I don't know about the Sig, but bought a LC9s this fall and find the recoil to be quite easy to handle....of course I did spend the summer shooting 2 .480 Ruger SRHs. :lol:

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
Roy, the LC9 is only one ounce heavier than the Sig 938. Therefore, it might be a good idea to go somewhere that rents guns or find someone who has a LC9 and will let you shoot a couple of magazines to get an idea. If you are recoil sensitive, the SR9c has very, VERY low recoil and most folks find the trigger good after break-in. Also, it is in the same price range as the LC9/LC9s. The compact model (SR9c) has good trigger and a dandy thumb safety. Don't let anyone sell you the full size standard SR9, it is larger and doesn't have a good trigger or high reviews from purchasers. http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2010/09/robert-farago/gun-review-ruger-sr9c/

wvjoetc

Single-Sixer
I had both and kept my LC9s, the Sig 938 is a very nice gun but to me the Ruger just feels better in my hand, and the trigger on the Ruger is so much better. The Sig has the alloy frame, and is more uncomfortable for me to carry,(sharp edges) really not the right word but the best way for me to explain it. The Sig is also 310.00 dollars more, that's a lot of ammo. Mountain Walker covered other points that I agree with, but will say my SR9s is one fine shooting handgun and a very good carry piece also.

wvjoetc

Single-Sixer
Yes I did, it's been a long seven days at work and five more to go, maybe an ol thing too! I do also have the SR9c, I have no complaints with it either. Thanks MW, good points in your posts.

rich642z

Single-Sixer
I have one also. The LC9s is a better gun with a better shorter trigger control. You still have to let the trigger go forward but not as far as the older ones.

I've shot both. I own one. The P938 was the better gun. May get a LC9S Pro to accompany it. No external safety and smoother crisper trigger. As opposed to a standard LC9S. Oh and no magazine disconnect.

cnj

Bearcat
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
No external safety and smoother crisper trigger. As opposed to a standard LC9S. Oh and no magazine disconnect.

No external safety or magazine disconnect on the LC9s Pro, but the trigger should be identical between the "Pro" and the regular LC9s. The original hammer fired LC9........well, that is a different story! Owned one and SOLD it. Don't miss that one at all.

tantrix

Bearcat
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
I've shot both. I own one. The P938 was the better gun. May get a LC9S Pro to accompany it. No external safety and smoother crisper trigger. As opposed to a standard LC9S. Oh and no magazine disconnect.

Thread resurrection, but Ruger absolutely nailed it with the LC9s Pro. It can be had for as little as $334 right now, and actually has a better trigger than the $600-$700 Sig P938. While it is accurate for a "mini-9", the P938 has a rather heavy break on it's trigger which a lot of people don't like. The LC9s Pro has a light, smooth trigger that is one of the best on the market right now as far as carry pieces are concerned. Ruger hasn't made a gun this perfect in...well...possibly ever. And, the fact that you can buy TWO LC9s Pros for the price of ONE P938...that is just insanely awesome.