HK45

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hittman

Staff member
Anybody here have experience with these and if so, what are your thoughts?

Too big for me to carry so it'd be a range toy only.

A buddy of mine recently acquired one of those.

It has a great feeling grip on it. I haven't shot it but he has shown me his targets, great accuracy.

He has the threaded barrel tactical model. With a nice suppressor installed. Had to wait a year to get it lol.

I really like this gun. I purchased a P227 when they first came out but have been considering an HK45 also.

I'm done with 1911s and still have some cash set aside from selling the last few I had. We will see...

Right now I'm trying to get a decent AR10 for pigs. But I could see an HK45 in my collection.

roylt

Hunter
One of the guys I work with and go shooting with has a HK45. Has target sights with a big white front ramp. I joke that he can hold a conversation and not look at the target and still hit the black bull's-eye. Even I can shoot it well and I'm not that good a shot. Very nice indeed. His also has the small factory suppressor out front.

I would like to have a HK in 9mm but can't afford it. I have my cheap Rugers to have fun with.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
HK makes nice pistols, I'm not a fan of plastic framed hammer fired guns but the HK's do work well and feel pretty good. The triggers are much more consistent than most others of the type. I have no real desire to own one but enjoy shooting the ones that some of my range rat friends own. The models without the built in finger grooves are more comfortable to me, check out the grip before dropping your dollars down on one.

Exactly why I chose the Sig. All metal. Also a great grip. Not related, but I wanted to make a statement. I enjoy my NICE Ruger revolvers, as well as my Smiths. I see no reason my semi-auto experience should be LESS...

A lot of individuals have NICE revolvers, I do too. But will not own junk semi-autos.

To the naysayers... I do NOT answer to you. I enjoy what I shoot. You should too.

I have nice revolvers and feel that my semi-auto experience should be just as fun. Thank you.

HW11

Single-Sixer
Not the HK45 but I carry the USP Compact in .40 cal everyday. Its about the same operating system in a little different package. Its German engineering at its finest. They are real good at very precisely fitting 10 parts together to do the same thing other people can do with 5. I find their pistols somewhat more difficult to shoot than other pistols of that type but it is the most accurate duty pistol I have carried. When I say difficult I mean for me it just does not grip or point and well. That causes a little extra effort on fast repeat moving shoots. I was more proficient with a Glock 21 and probably a 1911 or two. All that being said the compact is a small pistol and fills a need. Good points are you can take a HK and make about every configuration you could need. DA only, which is very heavy trigger pull, D/S, I don't like two different trigger pulls in the same pistol. Single with cocked and locked, which is not bad and a form of a LDA trigger that HK calls the LEM trigger and then all the above in left hand if you need it. I'm a Glock and HK Armorer. I can service 5 Glocks in the time I'm servicing one HK. For the money Glock is by far my pick in this type pistol. Find a gen 3 or older. I'm not a fan of the gen 4. Next pick is the full size XD. I would not care to guess how many hundreds of thousands of rounds I have seen fired while training from every major manufacture in this market and the gen 3 Glock and older have had fewer broken parts than any except maybe the old Sigs but they cost much more. The XD is holding up very good also but I have not dealt with any that have a high round count. Most of the HK's we are working with now how around 8K rounds through them and are starting to break down. I don't like SIG or HK D/S trigger pulls and hate D/A only. All this being said I doubt you can go wrong with any of them for personal protection, it is all about picking the trigger configuration, grip feel, size and other personal preferences you like and need. All this is JMHO and not worth much.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
HW11 said:
Not the HK45 but I carry the USP Compact in .40 cal everyday. Its about the same operating system in a little different package. Its German engineering at its finest. They are real good at very precisely fitting 10 parts together to do the same thing other people can do with 5. I find their pistols somewhat more difficult to shoot than other pistols of that type but it is the most accurate duty pistol I have carried. When I say difficult I mean for me it just does not grip or point and well. That causes a little extra effort on fast repeat moving shoots. I was more proficient with a Glock 21 and probably a 1911 or two. All that being said the compact is a small pistol and fills a need. Good points are you can take a HK and make about every configuration you could need. DA only, which is very heavy trigger pull, D/S, I don't like two different trigger pulls in the same pistol. Single with cocked and locked, which is not bad and a form of a LDA trigger that HK calls the LEM trigger and then all the above in left hand if you need it. I'm a Glock and HK Armorer. I can service 5 Glocks in the time I'm servicing one HK. For the money Glock is by far my pick in this type pistol. Find a gen 3 or older. I'm not a fan of the gen 4. Next pick is the full size XD. I would not care to guess how many hundreds of thousands of rounds I have seen fired while training from every major manufacture in this market and the gen 3 Glock and older have had fewer broken parts than any except maybe the old Sigs but they cost much more. The XD is holding up very good also but I have not dealt with any that have a high round count. Most of the HK's we are working with now how around 8K rounds through them and are starting to break down. I don't like SIG or HK D/S trigger pulls and hate D/A only. All this being said I doubt you can go wrong with any of them for personal protection, it is all about picking the trigger configuration, grip feel, size and other personal preferences you like and need. All this is JMHO and not worth much.

Good info The USP & USP Compact's it' a gun I've always wanted. While i curse the price and logically can find several guns better suited to me there's just something about it that has it's own appeal. And It's not the name brand name so much as the idea I have of owning a "fine" firearm. I walk by them and look at them in the case like a woman that's way out of my league :D. It's hard to explain but that's the appeal of these H&K's to me.

HW11

Single-Sixer
The man that taught my class has worked for the company for 25+ years and was a wealth of knowledge. Several of us asked about the price. His response was this: We build weapons for armies. They are usually under contract before they are ever built. You pay for the testing that goes into making these weapons as reliable as they can be made. If one thing is changed and that is truly anything, a mag release spring, it goes through a 25k round test to see if it works before it goes in production. WE were working on the full size USP at the time and he showed us things like the bump on the detent plate, 25k round test. Change in the disconnector, 25k round test. You don't see recalls on HK like you do on other firearms. The general public get the benefit of some of the weapons made for armies. The HK45 was the first one that never went to a military first. When the US Gov said years back that they wanted one standard pistol for all branches of service and special ops every major weapons maker in the world wanted that contract. HK started the R&D on a pistol to submit. The program went through several stages and got put on the back burner over funding, then revived and then killed. Anyway he said HK was so deep in the design it completed the pistol and put it out to the public to try and re-coupe some of the money that was invested in the R&D. I thought about their R&D after he told us that. He is about right on function. When they are running they are running good. They will feed, fire, extract and eject anything within reason you put in them without a hiccup. When you see a stoppage it is going to be something broken most of the time not just a picky pistol. About 2 weeks ago I started with a clean pistol and put 800 rounds through it without so much as wiping it off until I was done. I used three different weight bullets from two different companies.
You are well armed with one, its just not my favorite.

On any given production 1911 I have owned, there was always something I found I had to tweak a little! I would trade one off and get another. Never really lost any money, except on ammo, but that was for competition anyway. Recently after a personal battle and series of events I was fed up. All my 1911s are gone. Well and due to the fact a buddy made me an offer I couldn't refuse on my last 1911.

For .45 I have been shooting the P227 a lot lately. Very accurate, like the P220 and the H&K USP. But importantly these guns are RELIABLE. 1000 rounds without cleaning, dropped in dirt, still running reliable, but they remain accurate.

A 1911 can be made reliable, but for it to remain accurate, it has to be a finely tuned watch.

Not bad mouthing the 1911. Probably the most accurate semi-auto design developed. Just feel that 1911s can be picky and more modern guns can hold up to competitions and combat games better.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Not to drift this post but I must say my early experience with HK products had to do mostly with their battle rifles, G3 and the various configurations. Man, I hated those guns for so many reasons I can't even remember half of them. They always felt clumsy compared to the M16's that I first learned on. The Charging handle could be heard across a valley, kinda sounded like someone pulling a chainsaw, giving away your position in an instant. The top to bottom feel was a klutzy fingering to find the controls in the dark. The stupid rear barrel sight system in the rain was completely useless as it made a better rain collecting shot glass than an adjustable sight assembly. The accuracy was shot gun like when you wanted to really lay some fire down range.
Now some of you might think my opinions have to do with lack of experience and just some incidental exposure to these guns, bull crap, I humped these things for about a month at a time when training with a West German sister Recon unit in my first three years in the Army. I also cross trained with several other NATO rifles and found none so annoying to me at all.

The other thing I just thought of was removing and reinstalling a new magazine in the dark was an exercise in find the eye of the needle as it seemed the damn thing felt the same from every side.

Rabon

Single-Sixer
hittman said:
Anybody here have experience with these and if so, what are your thoughts?

Too big for me to carry so it'd be a range toy only.
Its an excellent gun make sure you choose the Variant that suits your needs. H&K wrote the book on quality assurance/quality control and it shows in their products.
BTW you may or may not know H&K is offering a $200.00 rebate thru Dec 31 which covers most of their auto pistol line (the HK 45 is included).

TRanger

Blackhawk
HK makes an excellent handgun. I have carried an HK USP45 for the last eight years. I have run many thousands of rounds through it without a single issue or malfunction. The HK45 is pretty much the same gun with refinements as to grip and controls. If you purchase one, you will have no concerns about getting a quality product.