LC9S and Williams Fire Fiber Optic Sights

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mrasgt

Bearcat
Hello Everyone:

I've had my LC9S for three months now. I traded my LC9 in for it.
I ordered the Williams Fire Fiber Optic Sights from ShopRuger.com
I was very pleased to receive the sights from Ruger in five days via
UPS. Total to my door $57.95.

I've never tried replacing sights before and I don't have a sight tool.
I thought you might like to hear what happened next. It was a learning experience.

On the S model, the front sight is pinned. On the LC model it is not.
I was able to use a role pin punch and easily drive the pin from the front sight
and drift the Williams sight in. There is no hole for the roll pin from the original sight to replace on the Williams sight. I used a tape covered punch and was able to get the sight in with just a very small mark left on the sight base.

Then I moved to the rear sight. On both LC and S models there is a hex head screw
securing the original sight in place. On my S model, the original sight came sliding off after a turn on the screw.

The Williams rear sight had to be filed to even begin drifting it into place.
This time, I didn't want any marks left on the sight base. So, off I go to my LGS
hoping for an easier time of installing the rear sight.

The instructions on the sight packaging clearly advise to have the sights installed by a professional.

My LGS has about ten different rear sight tools at hand. None of them would work
on the LC9S slide.

So, a bit of oil, and a BRASS punch and in the sight went, nice and tight.

The rear sight ended up with a slight "ding" from being drifted in by the brass punch.

I suggested a nylon punch, neither of us had one.

The sights came out great. What a difference. A very good product and fit.

Here is what I learned. If you are a perfectionist, find someone with a correct
sight tool and lightly file and slowly PRESS the sights in. This should avoid any marring of the sight bases.

I don't need a "jewelry look" to my guns and at the same time I don't want any dings to show up if it can be avoided. It's a gun, after all, not a watch.

At the very minimum, obtain the correct size NYLON punch.

I was able to dress up the dings with a Birchwood Casey flat black touch up pen.

The sights are incredible! I highly recommend them for the LC9 and LC9S.

Sarge.

ulflyer

Bearcat
Sarge, have you noticed any difference in impact point with new sight? I ask because mine shoots a bit low and I'd like to find a sight that would raise the
impact point for me.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Two comments:

1. Unless you file the rear sight until it's a fairly loose fit, a nylon punch won't be strong enough. If the sight is left tight enough to stay put under recoil, a brass punch or sight pusher will be required.

2. If you didn't drill and replace the pin on your new front sight, expect to have it come off sooner or later, most likely sooner. Pinned front sight really must be pinned.

mrasgt

Bearcat
ulflyer said:
Sarge, have you noticed any difference in impact point with new sight? I ask because mine shoots a bit low and I'd like to find a sight that would raise the
impact point for me.

Hey there Ulflyer:

I just today put 100 rounds down range with the new Williams Fire Sight Fiber Optic Sights. At 5, 10, and 15 yards, my point of impact was at point of aim. At 20 yards, things appeared to shoot a bit low. As this is a CCW/SD gun, I'll take this happily.

I'm very happy with these sights, they really show up well. They make are a huge improvement over stock sights. I'm not sure about a different Williams Sight that would raise your point of impact. I just ordered what Shopruger.com had listed for the LC9 and LC9S. All due respect, sir...but could it be possible you're pulling your shot down? The reason I ask is I pulled low when I changed from the LC9 to the LC9S, mostly because of the huge difference in triggers. It took me around 200 rounds to adjust.
I hope you find your answer. Report back if you can.
Sarge

ulflyer

Bearcat
Thanks Sarge for the reply. I did do some bench resting and the way I sight, I shoot low. Normally on most guns I align the front and rear level and right
under the bullseye. Finally realized on the LC9s that the front is much taller
than the rear opening (at least to my eyes which are getting old) so I need to adjust that habit by raising the front above the rear "ears" and up over the Bull....if that makes any sense at all. Does seem to work tho and gets the impact point up where it should be. Nevertheless, I get good groups (for me) and that's what counts.

I've thought of filing just a tad off the front but want to wait till I've shot more
to make sure.

I'm thinking of ordering this mag; the one that holds 2 addit bullets, mainly
for the extra grip surface it offers. http://www.ebay.com/itm/301004034834

Latest posts