Ruger MK II Target

Help Support Ruger Forum:

harves

Bearcat
Is this a difference in the grips for a Ruger MK 11 & Ruger Mk 111?
I just purchased a used MK II & would like a recommendation on where to get a set of target grips & brand.

Al James

Hunter
Welcome to the forum! You may try the rimfire section for this too!

Thankfully a Mark II pistol can be fitted with dozens of different styles of grips. Just google "Ruger MKII target grips" then click on images. By the time your eyes are bleeding from trying to decide which ones are your favorites, hopefully....you will have found a pair that suits your fancy. Once you figure out what you want post back here and we might be able to steer you towards a good source for your new found stocks.

The MKII pistols are top notch IMO.

Firenailer

Bearcat
Altamar Grips make some nice ones for that 22. Real nice little pistol. I've been loving mine for nearly 30 years and it still shoots great!

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
I have a brand new, never fired one I was going to take to gun store to sell on consignment. How should we price the thing?

cadillo

Blackhawk
harves said:
Is this a difference in the grips for a Ruger MK 11 & Ruger Mk 111?
I just purchased a used MK II & would like a recommendation on where to get a set of target grips & brand.

I have installed Mark II grips on a Mark III. You will need to take a small file and make an angular clearance cut on the underside of one side to accommodate the mag release. It's very simple and easy. Mark III grips will attach to a Mark II with no issue except that you can see the cut out for the mag release, but it's barely noticeable.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
I have the right handed versions of this grip on my MK II Comp. stainless slab side. They came with the gun as stock. I have a love/hate relationship with them, some days they feel right, others not so much.

http://shopruger.com/Mark-II-Checkered-Wood-Laminate-Grips-Left-Handed/productinfo/90042/

harves

Bearcat
My MK II target rattles when I shake it as it is slightly loose on the frame. Is this normal? What seems to be happening is the barrel receiver
Tightens up when the slide is held open by the magazine.
Any thoughts on this or have others experienced this?

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
harves said:
My MK II target rattles when I shake it as it is slightly loose on the frame. Is this normal? What seems to be happening is the barrel receiver
Tightens up when the slide is held open by the magazine.
Any thoughts on this or have others experienced this?
Just means the lug fit is not overly tight, will have zero impact on the performance of your pistol.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
Some are real tight and require light mallet tapping to remove the barrel/receiver from the frame as in my MK I, others like my MKII target fall off the frame when being disassembled. The bottom line is that it doesn't work better tight or loose. If yours is really loose and moves during firing, creating a distraction, you may want to do something. I would say that you could try a cardboard shim(from business card) or call Ruger Customer Service(CS) and ask their suggestion. CS may send you a label for free shipping.

cadillo

Blackhawk
If you are a do it yourself type like me, I would do this:

Remove the receiver from the grip frame. Turn the grip frame upside down, and place the edges or rails that bear on the bottom of the receiver between the jaws of a vise, and squeeze them just the slightest bit that you can, and then test for fit with the receiver. It may take several attempts, but you should get there OK, as long as you go very slowly. Closing the rails just a smidgen raises the receiver thus tightening the lug engagement that holds it all together tightly when correct.

harves

Bearcat
I will try a shim as I'm not sure I want to send it to Ruger as they may send me a new MK III as a replacement.
Here are the grips I just purchased for the gun: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=452022964

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
harves said:
I will try a shim as I'm not sure I want to send it to Ruger as they may send me a new MK III as a replacement.
Here are the grips I just purchased for the gun: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=452022964
You could discuss with Customer Service, I doubt they would do that without your agreement. The type of problem you have sounds like something that they could quickly fix in their machine shop. Just for your information, when Ruger can no longer repair a discontinued firearm, they offer a current model at their cost. If you agree and send them money, they have the authority to send you a new gun as a replacement, directly to your home via FedEx. I think that is a reasonable accommodation. Since your MKII is a discontinued model, they may not pay shipping charges which is another factor. Still, you could discuss with Customer Service and see what they are willing to do.