New SR45 for me

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Altered

Bearcat
Just thought I would share. I picked up me a SR45 today.

Looking forward to taking it out this week and giving it a few hundred rounds of work. I grabbed a couple of Remington UMC .45 Auto Jacketed Hollow Point while I was in Walmart. (Not cheap 62.54 per 100 or .63/rnd)

I did notice a couple a people on the net talking about theirs being loaded with oil. I broke mine down and its actually just about perfect not to wet not to dry.

I am thinking since its pretty much going to be my go to bedside gun. I was thinking I might want a bright light for the rail. I just want the light itself to be very small and light weight. Any suggestions on this would be great too.

One other note I cant seem to find it now. There was a thread discussing the little round stickers and what they meant I think. Mine was light blue with a red dot. Not sure what it meant?

OK through rambling carry on. :mrgreen:

Taterman

Buckeye
Congrats on the new SR45. I remember a round sticker on our SR9, curious about what they mean too. I do remember the thread about it you mentioned but it's been as while.

Al James

Hunter
Enjoy your SR45! I am at about 1200 rounds through mine and it has been great. It had an issue in the beginning with one of the mags, apparently it was the follower. Ruger acknowledged the issue, replaced the mag free of charge and it has been 100% since. Mine is an early one purchased last summer SN# in the 77xx range. If you dont mind, just out of curiosity what are they up to for SN# range based on your new example?

planetcat

Single-Sixer
Congrats on a great pistol. I've had mine just over a year now, and it too is beside the bed. Looking forward to hearing about some tac light recommendations.

guidedfishing

Single-Sixer
I put a streamlight II high Lum on my SR9, it also has the laser on it. I use this pistol pretty much just at night for live fire training. I don't need the laser as the stream light illumination makes the sights visible even for old eyes.

We tried some exercises at night with the light detached and on strobe. We found it very difficult to advance on that high illum light in strobe mode.

It sits on the night stand at night. I used to use this pistol for steel challenge but have since switched to a M&P9 pro series for steel challenge because the trigger and ergonomics work better for me drawing from holster.

good luck, shoot straight and shoot often.
GF

Altered

Bearcat
Thanks everyone for the positive comments.
Al James said:
Enjoy your SR45! I am at about 1200 rounds through mine and it has been great. It had an issue in the beginning with one of the mags, apparently it was the follower. Ruger acknowledged the issue, replaced the mag free of charge and it has been 100% since. Mine is an early one purchased last summer SN# in the 77xx range. If you dont mind, just out of curiosity what are they up to for SN# range based on your new example?
Mine is 380-51xxx Is that a early or late one?

guidedfishing said:
I put a streamlight II high Lum on my SR9, it also has the laser on it. I use this pistol pretty much just at night for live fire training. I don't need the laser as the stream light illumination makes the sights visible even for old eyes.
Yeah my eyes aren't what they use to be either. That streamlight II looks like it could be a pretty good one. I was really wanting one smaller though. Might not be possible and still be bright I dont know. I was thinking a light on the gun would be much easier for me to grab. Better than me fumbling around for the gun, and the flashlight, after I was digging around for my glasses. :shock: I have a laser already, nothing is wrong with it, but it was my first one and I have not really found it useful to me other than as a toy. However a flashlight in the middle of the night might be more useful. :)

Al James

Hunter
I'm not sure what they are up to in SN# but yours is about 45k past mine. I guess it depends on how long your dealer had it prior to sale. Maybe others will chime in with higher SN#'s. I was just curious to see how they were selling based on production numbers. According to Ruger's page 2014 production started with SN#380-45090.

animal

Bearcat
Congratulations on the purchase. I got mine a year ago today. Have 1000+ rounds though it so far and it's performed great. I haven't shot it as much as I'd like recently, but it functions when I need it too.

Altered

Bearcat
Al James said:
I'm not sure what they are up to in SN# but yours is about 45k past mine. I guess it depends on how long your dealer had it prior to sale. Maybe others will chime in with higher SN#'s. I was just curious to see how they were selling based on production numbers. According to Ruger's page 2014 production started with SN#380-45090.
So based on that mine is a early 2014 model? About 6000 were made before mine this year? They sure are making a lot of them. Or do they skip some numbers between.

Thanks animal I am anxious to see how mine performs. So far I have seen a few issues some have brought up as possible problems i may run into. But I feel very good if there is any issue Ruger CS will fix me up.

Al James

Hunter
Altered said:
Al James said:
So based on that mine is a early 2014 model? About 6000 were made before mine this year? They sure are making a lot of them. Or do they skip some numbers between.

Thanks animal I am anxious to see how mine performs. So far I have seen a few issues some have brought up as possible problems i may run into. But I feel very good if there is any issue Ruger CS will fix me up.

Yeah, when in doubt you can always check the date on the fired casing envelope too. One would assume that they would be test fired not to long after being assembled.

I took mine out again today and shot it beside a SR9 and SR40. Best group of the day went to the SR45! All 3 are easy to shoot well. We were shooting out in the woods with the targets stapled to a few fresh stumps at around 12 yards away. I would have kept the targets but we only had a few of them and we shot them full of different caliber holes. Great gun. I actually really like the SR series in general. My friend who shot with me just bought an SR9 and said the SR45 is next on his list of SR's to buy after shooting one today.

Altered

Bearcat
From the looks of it May 17th mine was test fired. Not sure if it being that new is a good thing or a bad thing. :lol:
SR45_test_casing_zps4e80a50e.jpg

Altered

Bearcat
Took the .45 out Sunday and shot 50 Remington UMC JHP and 200 FMJ of some brown box cheap junk from walmart both were 230 grain. Don't remember the name off hand it was a brown/tan box and started with a P in the name I think. I tossed the boxes thinking I never would forget the name. :lol: It was dirty junk though. I started with the Remington and it was flawless for 50 rounds. Went to the other junk and had about 3 that didn't load and one failed to eject. I wasn't to precise with my shooting as I hadn't shot since getting my first bifocals :evil: and it was an experience. I was close enough to be deadly about 5" spread but was not precision accurate. A friend shot some with it and he was better than I was but we both were rusty we hadn't been in awhile.

I do have to say I love the trigger. I have read the guns come with a 4 to 7 lbs trigger. I'm no expert but guessing mine is a 4 it is very nice. :mrgreen:

Any tips on shooting with bifocals? I can get a picture but I seem to lose it if I try to stay on it for more than a second or two. I really don't know what I am doing or how to diagnose what I am doing. I guess I have to be looking through the wrong part of the lens but how do you focus on the sights (close) and the object down range. (distance) :?: Not sure if it matters but mine are the no line type.

Passtime

Bearcat
There are two ways that work for me. One is looking through the top of the lens. The target is a blur and the rear sight is a blur the only thing that is near in focus is the front sight. It took a while to get used to it but it works for me. The only problem I have is that after a few shots everything is blurry. Another way is not using my prescription glasses at all and use regular safety glasses. I found this works pretty well for me. I practice for defensive purposes and no prescription lens mimics the real world situation of being woken up in the middle of the night and having to react instantly. YMMV

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
shoot the way you will carry, that way if/when you need to there will be no surprises. I find for defensive purposes focus on the sight picture and shoot the blurry center mass. press the trigger and you should still shoot respectable groups. just like sports, you play the way you practice.

Latest posts