Ruger P95 firing pin safety block/plunger removal ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tercel89

Single-Sixer
I've got my P95 slide all apart except for this part. Its the spring loaded plunger that block the firing pin from going forward. I have taken everything else of due to heavy heavy dirt and grime and surface rust.
I just got this gun used and it has been sitting in a foam padded box for 10 yrs.
So I think I need to take off the rear-sight and it will come out. My question is this : Does anyone have a video of know a step by step way on how to do it ?
I just dont want any surprises . I have checked youtube and didnt see any videos about this part .

roylt

Hunter
I have not done it but it seems to me coming off should not matter which way you push the sight. Going back together though it is my understanding that one direction is correct where the other way leads to trouble.

Not much help really I know.

I have never seen a P-gun so bad you need to completely strip it. You going to refinish?

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
The sight comes off left to right and yes it needs to be removed to take out the plunger but I would not go that far. I would just spray some "One Shot" into it and work it a bit and finish with some compressed air.

Here's a video on stripping a slide, it's a detail on a DC only gun (the most complicated of them all). He stops before removing the sight or taking out the plunger and gives his reasoning for not removing it. Sounds good to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEG-fzhbPKM

tercel89

Single-Sixer
I've seen that video and I have taken it all the way down except for the sights. One of the main reasons I want to remove the sights is that I am afraid there may be some rust under the sight's foundation. This gun was stored in a foam padded case for 10 years and had some slight rust on the outside. I was able to remove the surface rust.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Pulling the sights isn't the issue, the plunger requires a special tool to reinstall the plunger clip ring. If you want to fully strip the slide, take it to a good gunsmith, otherwise you will be sending it as a bag of parts to Ruger.

roylt

Hunter
Cheesewhiz said:
it's a detail on a DC only gun (the most complicated of them all)

Why do you think the DC is harder than the safe unit?

I thought the other way around because with the safe unit you have to spin the safety lever around just right to get it to pop out where the dc unit pops out easier.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
roylt said:
Cheesewhiz said:
it's a detail on a DC only gun (the most complicated of them all)

Why do you think the DC is harder than the safe unit?

I thought the other way around because with the safe unit you have to spin the safety lever around just right to get it to pop out where the dc unit pops out easier.

It's been quite a while but the DC only guns have a different system to securing the levers as opposed to the safety/decocker detent and spring. I find it a little harder to get back together.

roylt

Hunter
I forgot for a second too. The decock spring retainer is a pain. I recant. DC may be a bit harder.

I do enjoy tinkering on them though.