A bit of a let down on the SR9

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ruger45

Blackhawk
Got to play with my SR9 yesterday. It is not a bad shooting gun but it was a bit of a let down that it shoots about 2 feet to the left at 50 feet right straight from the factory. I thought it was just operator error at first but when it was grouping 17 shots in about a six inch circle all about 2 feet left of the target I am gonna say it's the gun. :wink:

Ruger45

Blackhawk
I should add that I wouldn't expect it to be spot on right out of the gate. I do expect it to be on the paper LOL

Al James

Hunter
Whats the rear sight look like as far being close to centered in the dovetail? At least it is grouping, hopefully you can get it corrected by moving the sights.

NixieTube

Blackhawk
The front sight on my SR9 was off-center from the factory. Check your front sight and if it is also off-center, a gunsmith/gun shop should be able to drift it over for you for a very small fee. Mine took like 2 minutes. You can do it yourself also, with a brass punch clamping the slide into vise lined so that it won't scratch the finish.

Ruger45

Blackhawk
NixieTube said:
The front sight on my SR9 was off-center from the factory. Check your front sight and if it is also off-center, a gunsmith/gun shop should be able to drift it over for you for a very small fee. Mine took like 2 minutes. You can do it yourself also, with a brass punch clamping the slide into vise lined so that it won't scratch the finish.
That is kinda of what it looks like.The rear one looks pretty well centered up. But the front may be just a smidge left of center. I guess a tap or two will tell the tail.

Al James

Hunter
Nixie! Haven't seen much from you lately. Glad to see you back! Still have your SR9?

Yeah duh, the front sight is dovetailed as well as the rear on the SR series. When first responding I was thinking P series.

If you decide to do it yourself just remember to move the rear sight in the direction that you want your POI to move. If you move the front it needs to move the opposite direction of which way you want your POI to move. Sorry if that's redundant info that you already know, just worth throwing out there.

Virginia Boy

Bearcat
I recently purchased a SR9c, and the front sight was off centered
to the right, about as far as it could go.
Before shooting it , I centered it up , and it shot fine.

NixieTube

Blackhawk
Al James said:
Nixie! Haven't seen much from you lately. Glad to see you back! Still have your SR9?

Hi Al! Yes very much so, and she's still shooting very well. In fact I'll be doing some targets this weekend and I'll post pics.

I've been lurking, although I do have a few posts over in the "Ruger Rimfires" section about my 10/22TD. I'm also picking up a Mark III in the next month or so. Probably a few other surprises in store as well. If the finances allow I'll be becoming a citizen of Revolver Country also.

I stopped counting the SR9 rounds at 2000 or so, but because of ammo. prices I've not put more than 500 rounds through it this year. Things are just starting to get better in that regard and I plan to shoot it more in the next few months. It's still in great shape and honkin' hard, and I still smile a little every time I pick it up :). I'm going to get some Talon grips for it; I've actually worn some of the frame surfaces so smooth they're almost "slick" - not the checkered sections, but the rear "beavertail" area, etc. It's working great. Best $425 I ever spent. No modifications, this is still a factory-spec. SR9 1.1 with the round mag. release and the "The Legislature Says You Are a Buck-Toothed Troglodyte" MA 10-rounders.

Some people have had various troubles, I haven't. Guess mine was sweet from the beginning. It hasn't disappointed me and every night when I check it before turning in, I know why I'm glad I bought it.

Al James

Hunter
Awesome! I have had good luck with the SR series too. The ammo shortage put a damper on my shooting too, especially 22LR. Everything seems to be back to normal in my neck of the woods, except 22LR. Cant find a brick of 22LR for less than $50 around here and its still sparse even at those prices. Unreal. I have been shooting a lot more centerfire to offset the lack of 22 fun. The worst part is I just finished up a 10-22 build that is now feeling pretty left out. Hopefully things will get back to normal soon, of course I have been saying that for almost 2 years now. :shock:

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
I took my SR9 out yesterday. I'm a good shot, but this gun makes me look like a professional shooter. Paper plate at 25 yards and the group was dead center and as big as my palm