P95 doesn't lock open after last shot...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

airedaleman

Bearcat
Recently bought a P95. Had it out for the first time this morning and was disappointed to find that the slide is not locking open after the last shot. It's a 312 series gun with two 10-shot magazines. Malfunction occurs with either one. Anything
I should look for? Thanks for any help!

Mike

roylt

Hunter
The follower in the mag pushes the slide stop up. You could check to see if the slide locks by manually opening the slide with an empty mag installed.

These are factory mags right? Or do you know?

Maybe post a picture.

airedaleman

Bearcat
roylt said:
The follower in the mag pushes the slide stop up. You could check to see if the slide locks by manually opening the slide with an empty mag installed.

These are factory mags right? Or do you know?

Maybe post a picture.

Should have mentioned in my original post that the gun does lock open on an empty magazine. Both magazines are factory.

roylt

Hunter
Does it ALL the time or just some times? You may be limp wristing just enough that the slide doesn't go back far enough to catch on the last round.

Maybe have someone else shoot a mag loaded with a few round just to see if it locks back for them.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Or try some hotter ammo. If the ammo you are shooting is too weak it's possible it's short sliding. You could test this rather cheaply I think. Load both magazines with one round each of common of the shelf self defense hollow point load. If both magazines lock the slide open you've diagnosed your problem with only two rounds. Least that would be a good enough indication to me.