P97 in 45acp

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tercel89

Single-Sixer
Are the P97 pistols in .45 acp any good ? I found an older/earlier one and it seems nice in appearence. Any problems ? The only P-series I had in .45 was the P-90. And information is appreciated .

pyth0n

Buckeye
I have two. Yes they are very good IMO. No malfunctions & accurate. Some say they're not as accurate as the 90, but I haven't noticed a difference & have used both the 90 & 97 in IDPA.

tercel89

Single-Sixer
I have two other questions :
1 . Why do their barrels have a raised portion near the end ? Kinda like S&W M&P's do
2. Why do their slide-stop levers have that tiny spring-loaded notch in them ?

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
I can shoot my P97 more accurate than my p90, but the P345 is the most accurate and most pleasant to shoot for me, they are all completely reliable though. Can't recall any kind of a problem with any of them.

roylt

Hunter
tercel89 said:
1 . Why do their barrels have a raised portion near the end ? Kinda like S&W M&P's do
2. Why do their slide-stop levers have that tiny spring-loaded notch in them ?

I'm not a smith and may be wrong but here goes:

1. the center section may need to be slightly thinner for two reasons. A. weight concideration and B. to allow the slide to have a bit more clearance as it cycles.
2. The slide stop is smooth and without the ball as a detent it would just pop out as you are firing.

The 95 is the same way. the 89 has a catch on the slide stop and spring in the frame to capture it as you fire.

Hope that helps.

modrifle3

Buckeye
Good pistols and very accurate. I only sold mine to buy a Sig. Far more snappy than the p90, but a good gun. Mine would jam with certain ammo. Some hollow points and aluminum case ammo.

JTQ

Bearcat
tercel89 said:
1 . Why do their barrels have a raised portion near the end ?
Because there is no barrel bushing. When in battery, the barrel is tight to the frame. When the slide recoils it allows the barrel to tilt.

Al James

Hunter
I've had good luck with the P97 pistols. They are usually reliable and quite accurate. First thing I do is add a slip on Hogue grip. When you're out shooting on a 90+ degree day the first gen P95's....and all P97's are like trying to hold onto a greased seal. Way slick. The slip on usually solves that problem for me.

Mine have all run 100%. The only exception is if a young person or limp wristing adult shoots the gun, then its usually a failure to feed malfunction which is induced. Easily cured by proper technique.

Only issue I recall the P97 having was on early SN# examples. The slide release would walk out of the frame during firing. I believe it was fixed by Ruger sending out a new larger diameter slide release. Could have involved the detent and spring on the same part as well. That was a few years ago and it was a small number of pistols effected so I cant remember all the details.

Good luck if you decide to grab one up! They can still be found NIB occasionally for around $400-425. Used examples can be had for around $325 with all the factory supplied goodies. Pictures when you get it!

bczrx

Single-Sixer
I have one, and probably always will. It isn't my favorite gun, but I can't bear to part with it.

It is everything a self-defense weapon needs to be for me: accurate and reliable.

I actually sold an H&K USP 45c as well as a SA loaded target blackened 1911 and kept the Ruger P97.

In my 'informal' accuracy comparison, my P97 gave me the tightest group of the 5 1911s I was shooting at the time [7 yards, free-standing, 2-handed grip, indoors range]. I kept the top 3, and sold the two listed above.

My Ruger group was around 2.5" for 8 rounds, while the H&K was like 4.5" and the SA 1911 was like 6". I had put around 1000 rounds through the USP and the SA 1911 in the past 6 months before this evaluation, but had not fired the Ruger until the contest in the past 5-6 years. So having the Ruger for so long wasn't a deciding factor: I had more recent experience with the other two.

I am NOT saying the Ruger is a better gun. I AM saying that it works better in my hands.

I know I can't get much money for it, and it isn't the most attractive gun in the world. [although I like the looks!] However, I am sure it will always work when I need it to.

I enjoy 1911s more for range trips, and have a .45 with a weapons light for home defense/nightstand duty. Yet, the Ruger is more accurate in my hand than most and just works well for me. I get too attached.

Just because there is a fancier model with more attractive lines doesn't mean I should junk the one that does everything I need and want it to: No divorce for me as long as things are working well. :p

bczrx

Single-Sixer
JTQ said:
tercel89 said:
1 . Why do their barrels have a raised portion near the end ?
Because there is no barrel bushing. When in battery, the barrel is tight to the frame. When the slide recoils it allows the barrel to tilt.

Basic principle behind 'bull barrel' 1911s also.

That said, I was confused by the quote, as I instantly thought of the chamber end, as the other part is the muzzle to me.