Early P95 pistols

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tercel89

Single-Sixer
Were the earlier or first P95 pistols any good or were there problems with them ? The ones that have no rail and that have the "slick" non-textured grip? Were there any "growing pains" with them ? I have a newer one made in 2013 but I have my eye on an older one with the non-textured grip and no-rail. Any help is appreciated .

pyth0n

Buckeye
tercel89 said:
Were the earlier or first P95 pistols any good or were there problems with them ? The ones that have no rail and that have the "slick" non-textured grip? Were there any "growing pains" with them ? I have a newer one made in 2013 but I have my eye on an older one with the non-textured grip and no-rail. Any help is appreciated .
None that I'm aware of. I have one of the rail less, smooth grip models and have been alternately using it in IPDA. Been working fine for me, since day one. I just received the Mec Gar 17 rnd. mags. for it. Will try them out this weekend.

revhigh

Hawkeye
roylt said:
I have not found a 95 that didn't go bang. Great pistol.

Agreed ... the P95s are good guns ... probably the best of the P series.

REV

Al James

Hunter
pyth0n said:
I just received the Mec Gar 17 rnd. mags. for it. Will try them out this weekend.

Great mags! They should work great! I like their 20 round magazine too. PM me if you are interested in more of either, I recently found a good source for them.

To the OP I'll echo the previous posters. P95's run well. We used to sell them on ad for $249-259 and sold them by the dozen. Everyone usually loved them except for 2 things.

1. The spring retainer on the recoil spring assembly likes to fall off and hide.
2. Somehow they let the ejector flip up during reassembly and the pistol is essentially locked up when they bring it back in. [Ruger MkII's were worse yet with people constantly bringing those back in pieces.] Pretty annoying...yes, but usually an easy fix for both.

Other than that they were excellent. And we sold a bunch back when ammo was cheap and people were doing much more shooting. I have meet some people that are concerned with the lack of metal impregnated frame rails on the P95, P97 and P345. I have never had or personally seen any issues related to this but I seem to remember reading one post or another regarding chipped rails. Whether from being dropped while disassembled or from a design failure I do not know.

Sounds like Roylt was correct when he warned of the P series addiction :wink:

welder

Buckeye
Al James said:
Sounds like Roylt was correct when he warned of the P series addiction :wink:

He was and I am.

I love em. I have several and will have several more if I continue to find good clean ones. I have owned, traded, sold and bought numerous P guns. Never had a bit of trouble getting my money back or finding a trade partner when I got the urge to barter or bargain. Actually very easy guns to deal with.

Just bought one of a pair of stainless like new P89s Wednesday along with some extras for a very reasonable price. Wished I had bought them both now.

Agree, the P95s are great guns and I've never had one fail in anyway with any load including my reloads. They work and work well.

The P95 is a prime example of what happens in corporate manufacturing when you finally get a design perfected and really can't improve on it anymore.... Stop making it and start over with a different design.

welder

Buckeye
I guess you're right Blume, it's just business and they have to keep moving forward. I wish that had kept the 95 and 90 cataloged though, but I don't know the sales numbers for either. I do know I haven't seen a P90 on the used shelf for years and only a few other P guns, none of which stay for over a day or two at my LGS according to my trusted counter guy. Are there that many collectors? Probably not, just folks who recognize the value in the P guns and that for most applications they'll serve well and long. I'm glad I have a few and on occasion carry my P94 and never feel inadequately armed.

welder

Buckeye
I'm always looking for them. I took my latest P89 to the range Friday and as usual, zero problems with any round. Didn't measure, just shot 6X6 steel at 50 feet and paper at thirty. The Ruger looks like a big clunk of American metal and I like it. I could not limp wrist it to failure either.

Al James

Hunter
welder said:
I'm always looking for them. I took my latest P89 to the range Friday and as usual, zero problems with any round. Didn't measure, just shot 6X6 steel at 50 feet and paper at thirty. The Ruger looks like a big clunk of American metal and I like it. I could not limp wrist it to failure either.

Yeah, I've never been able to induce a p89 failure either. I've shot them upside down, both sideways, limp wristed, etc. They just run. Mine have been plenty accurate too. Some posters here have stated they are 6-8" guns at 50 feet.....I have yet to meet one of those P Guns.

Welder, I'm glad you are searching all the shops in KY and not here. I rarely see any clean used DC only SS Pguns here in Oregon either. Seem fairly scarce in my neck of the woods.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Al James said:
Some posters here have stated they are 6-8" guns at 50 feet.....I have yet to meet one of those P Guns.

Yeah ... That's not surprising ... Most are worse than that .... 6-8" would be a good one .... And rare indeed .... A 'keeper' for sure ... LOL

REV

welder

Buckeye
I've never shot one upside down or sideways but will try it next trip to the range. I have limp wristed them beyond reason and never a bobble. I had some American Eagle, Fiocchi, White box and Remington fmj along with some low power reloads and everything ran fine. I was hitting the steel consistently with a miss here and there while standing, no doubt my fault as I was just plinking for fun, something I do more and more. But again I was just happy to get to shoot, have had a bad cold and sore throat for a week and was off work for the day. Bench resting was not on the list, just plain ole plinking, and of course, 100% reliability.

I never pass up those old P guns and keep an eye out all the time. For a gun that suffers some bad press, they are quite popular, easy to trade, and sell. Good luck on your searches.

Al James

Hunter
Some poster just posted. HEY REV!!! I notice you never answered my question about Massad Ayoob.....why not? I have been waiting to hear your spin on it for over a week. Me thinks you don't have a rational explanation or excuse so you won't answer the question, pretending you never read it. Still waiting......

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=210432&start=30