LC9 magazine release

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Buford57

Bearcat
I'm a revolver die-hard who is almost, but not quite, ready to convert to the LC9. I rented one at a local range this week and like everything about it except its tendency to eject the magazine without notice. I finally settled into hooking the pinkie extension on the mag between my ring and pinkie fingers, but had planned to carry with the flatbase mag if I bought one. The fact that I had to use the slap-rack drill at least once per magazine did nothing to convince me to abandon my S&W J-frame.

So - how common is this? If I was the victim of a dirty range gun or a worn magazine release I can live with that, but if this is a "they all do that, deal with it" situation or even "they all do it from the factory, but XYZ has a great replacement part and You-Tube video instructions", not so much.

LC9Lover

Bearcat
I have my LC9 for a few weeks now, and I have fired over 100 rounds with it. I have had no issues with the magazine. In fact the magazine eject button requires a firm push to release the magazine. My guess is that the rental gun has a lot of wear and tear. I am enrolled in several Ruger forums and I have never seen a report of a magazine ejection flaw.

groberts

Single-Sixer
Sorry, just saw this. IIRC the mag problem was with early LC9s. My LC380 takes a little push up on the magazine when you push the mag release to eject it.
As far as the last shot hold open not holding open way too many people still they it is a slide release instead of slingshotting the rack. However, I have notice mine has a tendency to let the slide go when I smack the bottom of the magazine to seat it. I'm ok with that since smacking the bottom also jars the slide so I don't think the hold open is getting worn. It also racks the first round for me. Then, again, I do little shooting so it doesn't happen all that often. Most the time I insert a magazine the rack is already closed.

Slyk Willy

Single-Sixer
Mine has about 3000 thru it, only time I had an issue like this is when I didn't trim the Hogue grip properly. Jam that baby in, if it doesn't stay put, I'd send it back to Ruger. Their customer service is excellent.

Latest posts