New LC9s

Help Support Ruger Forum:

exavid

Hunter
I was planning on buying a LC9s. I really like my LC9 though it would be nice to have a better trigger. The new pistol I handled today had a very nice trigger, clean, crisp and light with half the stroke of my older LC9. The only thing I didn't like is that it only has a left side safety. Not very handy for a left handed shooter like me. If it had an ambidextrous safety I'd have bought it today.
I never use the safety on my old style LC9, with the long, heavy pull it's not going to be accidently fired, no real worry about it snagging on holstering or handling. I'm not sure about striker fired pistols with their light trigger. I often carry my striker fired SR40c with no problem because it has an ambidextrous safety which is just fine for me to use. I don't think I'd feel safe with one in the chamber and the safety off for carrying. Any other lefties have these concerns with the new pistol?

loaded round

Hunter
Lefty or righty, safety begins with you, not the firearm. I went from a LCP to a LC9s for the improved striker fired system with the 100% better trigger pull. The manual safety was added for those who felt it was necessary and in my opinion it is not needed as a carry option in the LC9s. Remember shooters, this firearm has the same trigger system as the Glock, and so far I haven't seen a manual safety on any of the Glock models yet and there is a dung pile of their plastic pistols out there!

Trucker

Single-Sixer
loaded round said:
The manual safety was added for those who felt it was necessary and in my opinion it is not needed as a carry option in the LC9s. Remember shooters, this firearm has the same trigger system as the Glock, and so far I haven't seen a manual safety on any of the Glock models yet and there is a dung pile of their plastic pistols out there!

A picture is sometimes worth a thousand words.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw-jTCNZSmY

The Glocks are great guns. But there is no such thing as being too safe with any gun. Just ask the instructor.

clbshooter

Single-Sixer
I'm a leftie as well and I like to have a manual safety on any pistol I own. That's why I just bought a SR9c instead of 1 without a manual safety. This is what I am used to and this is what I will always buy.

exavid

Hunter
I think hittman's solution is the answer for me as well. I have spent quite a bit of time on the 25yd range here and don't often miss a paper plate or 25yd pistol target very often. It took a lot more practice with the LC9's little LCP brother to get to that point. Instead of going for the new pistol I'll just keep up practice with what I have. Right now I have five Ruger pistols, LCP, LC9, SR40c, and a P345. Used to have a SR9 but traded it for a Beretta 92. Maybe on down the line a bit when the new wears off the LC9s and some used ones show up I'll go for one.

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
I have the LC9S and you are correct about the trigger pull. I use the safety and even with the safety I would not carry it in my pocket without a good pocket holster that covered the trigger. The safeties on these guns are very lightly engaged and disengaged. I have had my safety come off in my pocket a couple of times from me just doing the normal daily actions. I Love the LC9S but a good pocket holster will take care of all you worries.

Gizmo42

Single-Sixer
I finally bought one now that it has a much better trigger. As a lefty shooter I'm really annoyed at Ruger that they seem to have abandoned left handed shooters. The ambi safety and mag releases are one of the reasons I always liked Ruger. With practice its not difficult to operate right handed controls being lefty but I would much rather have ambi controls.

rich642z

Single-Sixer
We just got ten from Ruger in Prescott. I kept one for me and I love this pistol compared to the old model LC9. I got 20 magazines with my order also. The LC9 has about 267 rounds of different ammo from 115 to 147 grain ball and hollow points. NO HANG UPS AS OF YET. IT'S A KEEPER.