Mk1 major issue

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bansheedave

Bearcat
Hello. New member here. I had just picked up my dad's ruger mark1 a few days ago. The gun hasn't been fired in roughly 30 years. It's in new condition. In researching on how to break it down for cleaning I found my issue. First, the bolt does not come back without a lot of force. I lubed it up quite a bit with gun oil to free it. It is better but still requires a bit to pull it back. Also have to force it to go back forward. The other issue is when I pull the trigger to release the firing pin so I can strip it, the pin will not release. So I can not break the gun down. Everything seems to be clean inside that I can see.
What would you recommend I put inside to free the bolt and firing pin? This is very aggervating. I'm sure my dad cleaned and oiled it prior to its long storage so I think something gummed up.
Please help.

Osage

Bearcat
Dave:

The Ruger MK's are relatively easy to disassemble, however putting them back together can be a bit tricky. There are variety of helpful web sites to research the process, just remember one thing,"It all fits, so don't force nothing".

http://www.hornetproducts.com/ViewProduct.asp?ModelNumber=MK-TDI

Osage

bansheedave

Bearcat

I understand how it breaks down. My problem is, it won't fire. Pulling the trigger will not release the firing pin in order to disassemble the gun

Osage

Bearcat
Dave:

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood. That's a very nice looking vintage firearm, so at this point if it were mine since I'm not a gunsmith I would take it to one.

Osage

bansheedave

Bearcat
This is a poor video from my cell. The gun is unloaded as is the magazine. You can see the effort in pulling the bolt back and the trigger not firing. I guess I will have to take it in.

And thank you for the compliment on it.

Osage

Bearcat
Dave:

It sorta' sounds like the slide is not seating all the way closed, but that's just a guess. If I were gonna' try anything, I would remove the grips and give it an overall major dose of WD 40.

Osage

bansheedave

Bearcat
I'll pull the grips off. Won't use wd-40 though. I have clp that should do the trick. If it doesn't loosen up whatever is sticking, I'll take it in.

modrifle3

Buckeye
Pay the $25 to send to Ruger . . . with instructions they are to send the original gun back if it can't be fixed. Very unlikely but since it s 30yrs old you may want to keep regardless. They will make sure its in perfect order and most likely not charge a dime.

I would say its dried oil . . . it will cement parts together. I would soak it in WD40 to remove all of the oil, dry it and soak in CLP. I would submerge in WD40 but only spray CLP on it.

bansheedave

Bearcat
I'm thinking the same as far as old oil locking it up. I did put clp into it since I don't have wd-40 here. A bunch of crap was in the leftover oil in the shallow pan. Some parts seemed to have moved some but not the firing pin. It needs to soak more for sure to loosen it up. Some time and patience I think is all I need.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
I am thinking that the final assembly is incorrect. Try lifting the lever on the back of the grip and seeing if the hammer strut was placed in the mainspring cavity/cup. Pull out the mainspring as disassemble the pistol and re-assemble correctly. This could be pretty simple. Good Luck!!

bansheedave

Bearcat
I've tried to disassemble but it will not come apart. I've never had this gun apart myself and unsure when the last time it has been apart. All I know is it is gummed up. I've been pulling chunks of black crap out of it. Still can't get the trigger to release the firing pin. Once the pin releases, I will be able to break it down.

exavid

Hunter
The first that pistol needs is a complete tear down and cleaning. That looks beyond what any 'stuff in a can' is going to correct. Even if lubing the gun frees it up you don't know what kind of shape the internals are. The right and proper way is to disassemble and clean it up. If you can't get it apart without excessive pressure then it's a time for a gunsmith or send it to Ruger. If it were mine I'd send it to Ruger. At least give them a call, they have very good customer service and will advise you for nothing.

bansheedave,
You're on the right track towards getting it to the point that you can disassemble it. If you have any access to Kroil, get the bolt back and remove the grip panels. then squirt the Kroil (or Break Free, or other substance that will break down and flush out old congealed lubricant) all through the internals and in the firing pin slot. It sitting for many years, the lube has hardened and you need to get it loosened up before attempting to disassemble. The other thing that you can do is to remove the grip panels and get some spray can brake cleaner. With the long nozzle you can get it into cracks and crevices and openings a lot easier. Don't be shy using it. It should help break down the old lube in the gun. Don't get any on the grip panels, it can discolor them! Once you get to the point that the firing pin drops you should be able to start working on taking it apart. The Mark I is by far the easiest of all the Mark series to take apart and put back together.

The picture you show is a Mark I target model and that model is a highly desireable model (plus it is very accurate).

If you do have access to an ultrasonic cleaner, that would make things so much easier.

bansheedave

Bearcat
I took the grips off, put it inside two large freezer bags and soaking it in break free. I will let it sit a while and hope it frees it up.

modrifle3

Buckeye
I would not use brake cleaner at all but that's just me. Kroil is the best stuff out there for freeing stuck parts.