Mk1 major issue

Help Support Ruger Forum:

y2k-fxst

Single-Sixer
A mixture of 1 part automatic transmission fluid and 1 part acetone works great too. Just mix it up and soak the whole gun without the grips in it.

modrifle3

Buckeye
y2k-fxst said:
A mixture of 1 part automatic transmission fluid and 1 part acetone works great too. Just mix it up and soak the whole gun without the grips in it.

Works really well but will damage paint, plastic, etc.

y2k-fxst

Single-Sixer
modrifle3 said:
y2k-fxst said:

Works really well but will damage paint, plastic, etc.
That's why you remove the grips, don't remember any other painted or plastic parts on a Mark I.

I've seen several firearms that were cleaned, then sprayed thoroughly with WD-40 and stored away for several years become "glued" stuck with a varnish-like substance. I bought a couple of Winchester 94s like that off an older fellow who took me what he'd done to "protect" his guns when he stuck them in a closet.

nothing wrong with WD40 in a "pump" bottle, its the coagulant ( propellant) in the aerosol cans that does all the clogging, and gumming up, we used WD40 in all of our shops, since I can remember and never an issue except as I noted and we found out about that when I started many years ago, I think I was 6 years old when it came out.......:cool::rolleyes:;)
and yes for your initial soak as was told to you almost 9 years ago, kerosene does the trick.....;)